Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How effective is APAP if left to do it's thing?
How effective is APAP if left to do it's thing?
I've been struggling with my CPAP machine for a long time. I keep narrowing the pressure range to try to find lowest pressure which will control my apneas. It seems as though I can lower the max pressure way down to like 6 and still have a low AHI (.5-1.5). However, that being said, no matter what range I set it at, I feel like garbage in the morning. Tired, headachy, and just not rested. Would I benefit from just leaving the pressure settings wide open and let APAP do it's thing. My tolerance for high pressures is not very good, as it wakes me up and often leaves me with a sore feeling chest (muscles that is). Insights appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How effective is APAP if left to do it's thing?
Low AHI numbers doesn't necessarily equal feeling good.

Post an OSCAR chart for review.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
check the forum search form to see if your are having positional apnea, both worse is certain positions, and for tucking the neck and or causing a kink in your airway. If you had no apnea then leaving the machine wide open at 4 thru 20, the pressure would never climb, and so would not matter. You can guess that situation is not the norm.

get back to us on the OSCAR chart. it you cannot do that, then read the status off your CPAP display like AHI usually is listed for timeframes 1-day, 7-day, and 30-day. Also the pressure for same timeframes.

how long do you feel like garbage, does it get better with activity, coffee, a smiling co-worker?

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
10 should be a good pressure but try 12, and set EPR=3, Fulltime, I'm targeting those headaches.

Let us know which feels better and why (subjectively)

Please do post your OSCAR charts, there is so much we can see from them.
Post Reply Post Reply
Add day trash unfortunately. I struggle to keep focussed and awake from sun up to sundown. I have to fight the urge to lay down and sleep all day.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a go. I will try to get Oscar data up as well (have to figure it out again).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 6 323 Yesterday, 02:40 PM
Last Post: pamm777
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,227 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 153 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 226 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 927 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 645 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.