Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How have you benefited from xPAP therapy?
How have you benefited from xPAP therapy?
Curious how others have benefited from treating their OSA with CPAP therapy.

My biggest benefit has been an increased oxygen saturation level which has had numerous positive effects including more energy, less fatigue, sharper mental focus, more strength, better stamina in workouts, and one off the wall result, improvement in my psoriasis. This is a condition that I have had my entire life and it has always gotten worse in the winter when many places have forced air heat which dries out the skin and less exposure to the sun. Since starting my therapy 8 weeks ago I have noticed a marked improvement which is just the opposite for this time of year. Haven't found any articles linking psoriasis to CPAP usage but I think it may have something to do with one of the benefits of increased oxygen has led to healthier red and white blood cells allowing them to fight off the psoriasis as the body intended. Not complaining mind you.

With that said, how has your life improved?

Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How have you benefited from xPAP therapy?
Sleep study showed AHI of 26 in Aug, 2015. Been on CPAP ever since and AHI is now consistently around 1. I'm not tired during the day anymore. I don't have that constant hangover feeling which I thought was normal (because that's all I knew.) My blood pressure has dropped which has resulted in a reduction in the meds I take to treat my hyper-tension. My co-workers claim I'm less grumpy (not sure about that) and the bags under my eyes have disappeared. And let's not forget that I don't snore like a buzz saw anymore. If only my hair would grow back!
Post Reply Post Reply
I know who and where I am in the mornings.
Normal BP
Afib stopped.
Better memory. More pluses than I have room to list.
Better skin?. Not so much
Post Reply Post Reply
Despite having AHI consistently less than 1 during a year on an APAP machine I haven't seen any benefits. Initially I was tested for sleep apena because of of persistent arrhythmia problems. The AHI was only in the mild range. I'm considering quitting the effort as dealing with the APAP may be more disruptive to my sleep than it is helping.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still waiting for the daily fatigue factor to diminish. I have found that I seem to be sleeping more soundly as I am aware of dreaming much more than in the past few years. I am still rather new at this as I began on 9-16-16. Although I was fairly used to the whole thing in about a month or so, it is really only within the past several weeks that I really feel comfortable with about every sleeping position I get in with it all on.

I have had some changes in meds over the past year and recently so I am not sure how much of that is related to the daily-fatigue.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had so much brain fog with an AHI of 81 and a lot of O2 desats I don't recall most of that first month of treatment. But by the second month I felt better overall and my memory was a lot better. And my skin well I was 56 years old when I was diagnosed with this but the skin on my hands was already thinning like seen on
older people. After a couple of months I think my thinning skin got a little thicker
but I could have been imagining it. Well the 25 of the month marks my 10th year
on cpap and it pains me to confess that in my first month I took 2 short naps without using my cpap so I am not 100% compliant only about 99.98 % oh
how I have fallen short of that 100% goal.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've stopped falling asleep anywhere, and everywhere doing anything and everything. Biggest plus is wife has stopped trying to wake me up from falling asleep in the middle of a conversation, or dinner, or anywhere. I also actually get a nights sleep without having to get up every 3 hours to pee.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,058 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 152 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 249 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,261 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,333 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 954 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 26 802 03-22-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: jakespeare65

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.