Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How hypoallergenic are hypoallergenic filters?
RE: How hypoallergenic are hypoallergenic filters?
I think one of these might be tad better but it will restrict the flow, I've seen many of these used on in-patients that are ventilated. They are advertised as Bacterial/Viral and philips sells them too.

https://1187b4d09c41350ddef3-8a2c38c8946...r-main.jpg
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the extra fine hypoallergenic filters in my machine.  I always thought it was to protect the machine, not me.   Dont-know  
Although, the filter does turn a little bit gray in color after a month.  I try to change all filters the first of every month.  Easier to remember that way.  

I still suffer with allergies.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a quick question,on a regular not hypoallergenic filter is there any difference on which side is placed in the cover?  Is there actually a right side to put into the machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
Would be interesting in having a poll to see which filter people use, regular or hypoallergenic?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2018, 08:07 PM)squid14 Wrote: I use an AB filter from the end of my heated hose and connects to the short hose from my mask. When allergy season is really bad that is what I use. You can get them from supplier number 1.

The AB  filters will be very effective  at removing allergens but since they are membrane filters with a very small pore size and small surface area they restrict flow much more than any other filter type. Also, they are hydrophobic and will be blocked if they become wet. Check the manual for your machine and be sure an AB filter can be used. I have seen warnings that they may effect the accuracy of pressure readings. Resmed recommends the Pall pleated filter which is sold by Supplier #3 for $4.95. Because it is pleated it has much more surface area and much less flow resistance than disk filters.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Only two more days until the test and then I can go back to anti-histamine therapy - Flonase and Allegra. Good thing as we are expected to hit 11.5 on a 12 point scale for local allergy intensity forecast. Damnable timing for this test - when scheduled a few weeks back (in addition to the week long abstinence from anti-histamines, had to wait out a 30 day cooling off period from a steroid shot in my hip), we were seeing 3-4 on that scale. Unfortunately, it got rainy and warm. Today's temps were in the mid 60s.

And apparently ragweed and cedar/juniper really get randy with those conditions. (cue the botanical version of a Barry White record....)
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2018, 07:35 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: I'm Curious.  Call me George and find me a man in a yellow hat.

All of these machines tout "hypoallergenic" filters, but are they really any good at trapping allergens?

I think the fact that they are called "hypoallergenic" filters shows that they may be BS. To prevent pollen, dust mite or other similar allergies you want a filter that filters out fine particles in a specific range. "Hypoallergenic" is not a regulated term, so it essentially means nothing and certainly doesn't specify any size or efficacy of particle filtration they way HEPA standards do.

That being said, I do have "hypoallergenic" filters in my machine, but I'm still considering ways to add a better filter to the machine without causing too much airflow restriction.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 170 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 1,029 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 413 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,637 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 881 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  DreamStation 2 Filters & DME's StratCat48 2 536 04-19-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
Question [Equipment] Who sells ResMed's AirSense 10 HypoAllergenic filters most cheaply, for Canada? StackExchange 1 557 12-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.