Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How hypoallergenic are hypoallergenic filters?
How hypoallergenic are hypoallergenic filters?
I'm Curious.  Call me George and find me a man in a yellow hat.

All of these machines tout "hypoallergenic" filters, but are they really any good at trapping allergens?  I mean really.  If they did, I should be able to put on my CPAP and be relieved of all allergy related discomfort and sinuses clogging up and eyes itching and watering.

Allergens, particularly juniper/cedar are off the fracking charts right now here, in the time of year when they should all be going away.  I scheduled allergy screening this coming week (did that a few weeks back when allergens were relatively low here). I have to be off of all anti-histamines for a good week prior to the test and I am finding these record high levels for the next five days.  Anyway, that's off topic except as a catalyst for the question.

The hypo-allergenic filters - any real evidence they do anything?  I remember the ones for my S8 were little more than a loose fibrous cushion.  The one for my newer machines are nice little tyvek-like paper cushions, but I'll be whipped and dipped in banana pudding if I can tell any difference.  I mean really, how well could they be expected do they keep out pollen or smoke particles or VOCs for folks with sensitivities?
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How hypoallergenic are hypoallergenic filters?
I use an AB filter from the end of my heated hose and connects to the short hose from my mask. When allergy season is really bad that is what I use. You can get them from supplier number 1.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I assume your answer is "No, the hypoallergenic filters don't work".
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
The purpose of the standard filter is to protect the machine, not you.
The hypoallergenic filters will catch finer particles. Will they catch all allergenic materials? will duhhh no. The definitely catch more than the standard filter will. In your case, I would use them to minimize your exposure while you are sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
My reply doesn't address your question but I thought I'd post it anyway.

The hypoallergenic filter is denser than a regular filter making your CPAP work harder to achieve the same pressure and air volume, thus making it louder. When this filter collects pollutants and air flow is further restricted it will cause additional strain on your machine.  Close attention to filter maintenance is recommended when using these type of filters.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2018, 08:36 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: My reply doesn't address your question but I thought I'd post it anyway.

The hypoallergenic filter is denser than a regular filter making your CPAP work harder to achieve the same pressure and air volume, thus making it louder.  When this filter collects pollutants and air flow is further restricted it will cause additional strain on your machine.  Close attention to filter maintenance is recommended when using these type of filters.

I forgot to mention that.   Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
OK I'll admit I don't know the answer as I've not tried the hypoallergenic kind, George. (still working on the guy with a yellow hat) Coffee

I'll concede to bonjour and Crimson Nape on this one. Being denser, I can see the machine working harder and therefore also being louder. But that alone doesn't mean that filter is better. I guess for those that feel they need the hypoallergenic kind, go ahead, but change them more frequently.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would help to know the materials and engineering behind the various hypoallergenic filters.  Are they just presenting smaller apertures to the oncoming air which trap smaller particles, and therefor more of them?  Do they have 'sticky' materials which trap some organics?  A mixture?

Whatever the case, by their nature, fitting inside of the same compartment, they will probably 'fill up' faster as mentioned by Crimson Nape, but it depends on what they're trapping, and how much of it.  Another confound that precludes a useful answer. 

If they are aftermarket and present a larger operating surface and volume, they may last considerably longer than the ordinary filters that are inside the compartments.  I haven't seen the one that fits between the mask hose and the machine hose; they may be almost twice as big surface-wise.

Sounds like an opportunity to learn something and to maybe pass it on...??
Post Reply Post Reply
the regular filters catch dust and have this fluffy collection on the outside when fully filled, hypoallergenic ones also catch finer particles inside the filter so they turn black. the regular filters you can remove that fluff. also its not nearly good enough to filter all pollen because a hypoallergenic filter ie HEPA even 100 times the size of our small filters cant catch all of the allergens.
Post Reply Post Reply
George, read the definition for hypoallergenic.  This is any material that does not contribute significantly to allergies.  It mean nothing in terms of a filter's ability to block allergens.  The term "high efficiency" is another matter.  

Hypoallergenic Defined: Hypoallergenic means that the ingredients/materials used to make/manufacture the product did not cause an allergic reaction in the subjects upon which they were tested.  The hypoallergenic filter is the most egregious use of the term.  Rarely do the materials used to manufacture a filter cause an allergic reaction.  But, the use of the term tricks you into thinking that the filter does more than it really can.  Unless you are allergic to the materials used to make filter media, all filters are hypoallergenic.  That doesn’t mean they do a good job at removing fine particles.  The best allergy filters are sealed-units that use prevent bypass and are HEPA filters.

HEPA filters are rated for efficiency and particle size, i.e. 99.97% of particles with an aerodynamic particle size of 5-microns.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 96 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 845 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Equipment] Cleaning filters bookwyrmtoo 2 397 12-20-2023, 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [CPAP] Airsense 11 filters mmrams13 32 9,478 09-06-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: turbo
  [Equipment] Filters in general and the ResMed 11 Cpapian 3 833 06-25-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Melman
  DreamStation 2 Filters & DME's StratCat48 2 509 04-19-2023, 02:19 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
Question [Equipment] Who sells ResMed's AirSense 10 HypoAllergenic filters most cheaply, for Canada? StackExchange 1 535 12-03-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.