I think allot of people are forgetting that aside from inhale cholorine its a *STRONG OXIDIER* thats why then You see public utils running a temp water line above ground in plastic pipe they always have 'leaks' its to prevent the chlorine from reacting with the pipe 'too much' and also to have a flow 24/7 to take out all reacted and toxic byproducts of such a reactive chemical out of the water suppy
So with a CPAC we have the the thank, metal is made of aluminum which is know to VERY HARMFUL to brain function. Anybody that thinks wiping each day is just removing the 'protective' coating of oxide that aluminum in free are and having a strong oxider in water will keep eating small amounts and creating an aresol *LARGE AMOUNTS* if the suface is 'cleaned' of oxide every day
Then we have the plastics, which at an average of 10C in My country in the summer makes the water companies always keep freash water flowing to clear out what the strong oxider cholorine creates which is bad
Now thats at 10C, oxiders generally get more active as the tempature rises *SO* with the cheap metal and *ALL THE PLASTIC* getting warm & strong cholorine vapours (cholorine evapourates before water, and faster then water) Your putting the worst of the worst Oxidized Plastic By Products (which You need a License to dispose off almost everywhere)
So Your can be SURE that a night or even week or big city tap-water (as long as its My not home town which is just below the levels of cholorine allowed in water - hint - it DESOLVES COPPER - and people then drink the 'solute') another hint: more plumbers per capita then anywhere in 500 miles (the council keep using all these numbers to get federal funding for a reverse osmosis water supply)
But weeks after become months 'if theres no problems' then months become years. The damage to cognotive function, and additon of plastic by-products and aluminum in the brain raises and is VERY subtle but VERY measured with simple brain tests
Lets not forget floride - cousin of the most oxidative atom on earth FLORINE. It corrides gold and platinum and causes almost everything alse INCLUDING ASBESTOS to *CATCH FIRE* (RAPID oxidation = Fire, Slow oxidation = Corrision in Metal and terrible By-Products in Plastics - Think Rust)
Excuse the spelling I'm having allot of trouble with My new APAP and feel Zombie-ish
(07-31-2013 06:12 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The discussion of tap water vs distilled water can get rather heated.
I must disagree with DocWils in that tap water is dangerous to use.
You probably inhale just as much tap water while taking a shower as you do with your CPAP at night. The idea that there's so much chlorine in your water that you can't use it in your humidifier is also, in my opinion, silly. If you can swim in it, bathe in it, cook with it, and even drink it then it is fine with your humidifier.
The main difference between the two is mineral content. This is the white spots you see on your dishes and the brown stains around the sink drain. Most tap water has some mineral content. Some water has so much that it has a smell to it and causes massive staining to sinks and tubs. True distilled water does not have any minerals.
The reason distilled water is recommended is due to this mineral content. It can build up inside the humidifier tub. Regular cleaning can keep this at bay as can doing a mild vinegar soak every few weeks or so. Some people do not like this, others could care less. Some say the mineral build up can hide bacteria and mold, some say that's bull hockey. Some say those minerals, bacteria, and mold can travel up the tube and into your lungs. And some say that's bull hockey too. Some say the mineral layer can cause the humidifier tub to heat irregularly. Some say, you guess it, bull hockey.
It comes down to personal preference. How often do you want to do a serious clean of the tub? Want low maintenance? Use distilled.
I am of the tap water camp. I've been using it for many years. I am very much alive and well. My tap water comes from a spring, not from a municipal facility. It has minerals but does not stain the sink although we do see white spots on the glasses. Once ever two months, I fill up the sink with water and vinegar and put the tank in to soak. I then use my fingernail brush to scrub the bottom and rinse well. Done. My previous tank was over a year old and was just starting to get a feel-able white layer to the bottom that was no longer coming off. I used distilled water for nearly two years and got really tired of it and the mess I made each night. Tossing out the water in the morning bothered me, too. Am I just lucky? Nope. Distilled water is difficult to find in a lot of places in Europe. Those folks use tap water and survive just fine, too.
HOWEVER, if your water smells bad (from the iron content) or really stains the sink, then distilled water is preferred just to cut down on smell and cleaning time.