Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How important is filtered or distilled water.
RE: How important is filtered or distilled water.
In a pinch, while travelling, you can always just use bottled drinking water.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Often times local aquarium specialty shops will sell RO water. You just bring your own container.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the "use distilled water only" mandate was in any way related to health issues, you could bet your sweet patootie that it would be in large print, in multiple locations, with big stop signs and caution exclamation points. We've become a lawsuit happy world and the manufacturers would want to cover their not so sweet patooties.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
If I run out of distilled water, is it okay to use tap water to fill my water tub?

This depends on the type of humidifier. If you have a standard humidifier tub, it is recommended that you use distilled or deionised water. If you have a cleanable tub, then tap water is perfectly fine for everyday use
http://www.resmed.com/au/service_and_sup...c=patients

Note: ResMed has changed the design of the standard tub and can be open for cleaning just like the cleanable tub

Can germ pass from the humidifier to me ?
No, using a heated humidifier in line with your CPAP device will not cause you to become sick or give you germs. Fisher & Paykel Healthcare's heated humidifiers are pass-over humidifiers that do not produce aerosols (the fine water droplets that are visible to the eye such as steam from a kettle). Pass-over humidifiers add moisture in the form of water vapor. Water vapor particles are smaller than bacteria or viruses so it is impossible for them to be transported up to the mask (and then to you). Even if pathogens (germs) were able to exist in the chamber, they would not be able to be transported to you.
[Image: germs]
The important thing to remember is that all equipment (especially your mask) needs to be cleaned thoroughly on a regular basis, so that it does not become a desirable environment for bacteria to live and grow. Follow the cleaning instructions for all equipment to ensure proper hygiene and cleaning. http://www.fphcare.com/sleep-apnea/educa...t/faqs/#ns

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Zonk!

Bookmarking your post to refer to later.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Zonk, the bit about germs is not 100% true - generally it is, but there are many situations when contaminants can pass from the fluid up the hose via the vapour (and even without the vapour, if there is an environment for them to exploit, and they do move fast. especially fungi and some microbes - the five second rule is rubbish - it is a one microsecond rule). Fortunately it is a rare thing in the type of humidifiers used in CPAP devices. The greater danger is what it does to the tank, hose inlet and some workings of the system, and here you have to judge according to your need.

I used clean water and condense water for the first six months of my usage, I cleaned the tank daily and let it air dry - despite that, by the end of that period, the tank had layers of "grub" and even small red and black colonies. New tank, distilled water only, rinsed out daily in distilled water and dried by forced air from the CPAP, and no more problems. Tank is as pristine as the day it was installed. Granted, the Philips tanks as badly designed with all sorts of corners and ridges that are hard to clean or dry (why? Not for structural strength, and I don't think for helping the humidification process), these results were striking.

Given that Zurich tap water has one of the highest standards in the entirety of Europe (drink Evian? Ha! It has way more impurities and a higher bacterial count than Zurich tap water!) and the results were so shocking, switching to self distilled was a must.

Bottom line - it is up to you - there is some danger of taking things into your lungs, but it is low - there is a greater danger of ruining your tank. And if the tank IS colonised, the danger to your respiratory system DOES go up. However, again, that is a secondary consideration.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with Doc on that one.
Distilled warter only. I dry the tank, hoses and mask with forced air daily.
Disinfect everything with thymol based disinfectants about twice a month.

No problems!

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2013, 04:28 PM)Shastzi Wrote: I'm with Doc on that one.
Distilled warter only. I dry the tank, hoses and mask with forced air daily.
Disinfect everything with thymol based disinfectants about twice a month.

No problems!

Pardon my ignorance, but what are "thymol based disinfectants?" can you give a brand name?Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2013, 04:28 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Distilled warter only.

Personally, I don't want any kind of "warter" anywhere that could contact me, let alone be inhaled. Warts in your airway could be really annoying to deal with! Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2013, 06:04 PM)RonWessels Wrote:
(08-03-2013, 04:28 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Distilled warter only.

Personally, I don't want any kind of "warter" anywhere that could contact me, let alone be inhaled. Warts in your airway could be really annoying to deal with! Laugh-a-lot

Seen that, around five times now. Nasty to deal with. Very tough to budge. Almost always leads eventually to a cancer of one sort or another in the area.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 91 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,039 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,372 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  AHI vs Desaturation -which is more important? vwboop 1 151 03-08-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 182 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.