Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How important is it to have the latest firmware version?
RE: How important is it to have the latest firmware version?
It's hard to imagine that the changes in the firmware are signficant, when their own technical support staff doesn't even know what the current version is. When I called a day before getting my S9 Autoset with version 9.05, they assured me the latest version was 9.04. I asked them what the difference was between 9.03 and 9.04. They said they didn't know.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2012, 03:39 PM)BabyDoc Wrote: It's hard to imagine that the changes in the firmware are signficant, when their own technical support staff doesn't even know what the current version is. When I called a day before getting my S9 Autoset with version 9.05, they assured me the latest version was 9.04. I asked them what the difference was between 9.03 and 9.04. They said they didn't know.

Babydoc,
I work for an electronics manufacturer (we only mfg a couple medical devices, nothing along these lines yet), but what I can tell you about the industry is that the folks you talked to probably had no idea. This was because you were at support level 1. You need to get to probably tier 3 support before they can start telling you what the difference is and exactly why. Tier 1 support typically works off of what we call "scripts". These people are not allowed to think for themselves and are only allowed to say what is scripted for them to say. To get any REAL information you need to escalate your call to tier 2 or 3 at least. I'm not bagging on anyone, that just the way it is in the electronics industry. And by the way, Tier 1 is measured on how many calls they resolve without escalation so sometimes escalation can be tricky!
Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had similar issues with Respironics System One APAP machines.

Here is what I sent to a contact I have at Respironics.

Quote:"Good morning Peter.

I have a question regarding the firmware for my Philips Respironics System One APAP machine. When I turn the machine on, it tells me the firmware version is Version 2.50.

My spouse also has this machine and the firmware version for hers is Version 2.51.

Is there a way to update the firmware in this APAP machine? I have asked my durable medical equipment provider this question and they are not aware of how to do this."

Here is his response.

Quote:"Typically firmware is only updated once/if the machine comes back for service. Your wife’s machine is probably slightly newer (in terms of manufacture date) and thus had the most recent firmware revision loaded on it when it came off of the assembly line.

You could take the device back to the equipment provider and ask them to send it in to us for an update but honestly I don’t think that it is worth it. I know that you use a wireless modem, I can check to see if an update can be pushed to your device through that. Even if that is possible, with HIPAA and some of the regulatory requirements on our end, I would imagine that it would still have to go back to the provider to initiate the update. I can look into the process of how that would occur if you want me to."
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2012, 06:21 PM)mjbearit Wrote:
(06-04-2012, 03:39 PM)BabyDoc Wrote: It's hard to imagine that the changes in the firmware are signficant, when their own technical support staff doesn't even know what the current version is. When I called a day before getting my S9 Autoset with version 9.05, they assured me the latest version was 9.04. I asked them what the difference was between 9.03 and 9.04. They said they didn't know.

Babydoc,
I work for an electronics manufacturer (we only mfg a couple medical devices, nothing along these lines yet), but what I can tell you about the industry is that the folks you talked to probably had no idea. This was because you were at support level 1. You need to get to probably tier 3 support before they can start telling you what the difference is and exactly why. Tier 1 support typically works off of what we call "scripts". These people are not allowed to think for themselves and are only allowed to say what is scripted for them to say. To get any REAL information you need to escalate your call to tier 2 or 3 at least. I'm not bagging on anyone, that just the way it is in the electronics industry. And by the way, Tier 1 is measured on how many calls they resolve without escalation so sometimes escalation can be tricky!
Mike

Its not just the electronic industry but most anything with customer service. Tier 3 is typically the design engineering or R&D organization, while Tier 2 is an expert(s) that supports the Tier 1 people. Only problems that can't be solved get escalated to the next tier. As an engineer I fall into the tier 3 realm and I can say that very few problems get that far and when they do its always a team with a tier 2 and manager(s) involved.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just got my Resmed S9 Autoset today, will find out the machine's firmware version tonight for everyone to compare.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-23-2012, 01:53 AM)koala Wrote: Just got my Resmed S9 Autoset today, will find out the machine's firmware version tonight for everyone to compare.
welcome to the forum

Post Reply Post Reply
FYI. everyone, hope this info is useful.
SW version: SX474-0905
Mfg date: 2012/Sep/20
Hours of usage: 0
Made in Singapore by Resmed Australia, distributed by Resmed USA, San Diego.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, that is useful information.
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought mine last month and it has the same firmware version as that
Post Reply Post Reply
mine shows: SX474-0602 .... 2 years ago
not sure what other changes been made beside smartstart can be enabled with full face masks

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,959 348,893 11 hours ago
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  AHI vs Desaturation -which is more important? vwboop 1 127 03-08-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  ReMed Airsense software/firmware Ralph436 22 1,081 01-23-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: george1945
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Firmware Update 4600.10.7 hobbycamguy 4 558 01-15-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: hobbycamguy
  Information About Knightbridge Dual Chin Strap - IMPORTANT cmpman1974 0 423 12-13-2023, 12:31 AM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  What's the latest on the connection between PTSD and OSA/UARS? TryingToGetItRight 0 396 10-08-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: TryingToGetItRight
  My Mother's latest chart, I try to raise max pressure but she doesn't like it: Phaleronic 9 835 06-26-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.