Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How important is it to have the latest firmware version?
RE: How important is it to have the latest firmware version?
I'm already using a RemStar Auto M series, so it wouldn't mean not using CPAP. It would simply mean getting the latest and greatest. A few extra days will only bother the DME, not me. If they want my money, I guess they'll have to satisfy my request.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2012, 12:26 PM)EyesWideOpen Wrote: I'm already using a RemStar Auto M series, so it wouldn't mean not using CPAP. It would simply mean getting the latest and greatest. A few extra days will only bother the DME, not me. If they want my money, I guess they'll have to satisfy my request.

My point was that I would not delay treatment in order to get the latest firmware, but since you have a machine to use, it can't hurt to ask. I work in the IT field and having the latest firmware is not always a great thing. That is why most administrators wait a little while before upgrading to let others be the ginny pigs. You are as likely to get new bugs as you are to fix old ones. Too-funny

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2012, 12:37 PM)Rritch Wrote: ....I work in the IT field and having the latest firmware is not always a great thing. That is why most administrators wait a little while before upgrading to let others be the ginny pigs. You are as likely to get new bugs as you are to fix old ones. Too-funny

I concur in general, but a big difference between IT and ResMed is that in most applications, you can always update your firmware later. You might wait on an SP, or other update, or OS, to see how it functions, but ResMed closes the door. You get your machine, and thats it. No update possible. My first concern was the issue of the SD vs SDHC card. Since Resmed does not offer release notes, we also cannot know what bugs, changes, or updates occur with their firmware changes. We can't even be sure of how many firmware updates they have had. And since they don't even alter the version name when adding a service pack (went from 3.16 to 3.16_SP1 and the version remained at 3.16.018), they are clearly not following normal convention. While you can introduce new issues with a release, the most recent release seems to me to be the absolute best choice when only one selection is available, or ever will be available, particularly if it may affect your future use of the equipment.

Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
It is very true that some new software versions sometimes introduce bugs as a result of fixing some other issue. A CPAP is a medical device and as such is strictly regulated by the FDA. One of the FDA requirements for the software updates would be a rigorous validation study that included a regression analysis to verify that no unintended bugs were introduced with the upgrade. If they get it wrong they would be facing a product recall costing Big Bucks as well as the possibility that the FDA may shut them down.
I am confident that there would be little risk in obtaining the latest software version in this case.
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
Well my DME confirmed today that the S9 Autoset that they received for me has version 905. I pick it up tomorrow, and put my Respironics RemStar Auto M Series into a well deserved semi-retirement. I'll use it for travelling and RVing and as a back-up to the S9. It has been very good to me, and after five years of 100% compliance I can say that this has been a very reliable and trusted friend. It has made an unbelieavable difference in my life, and I'll be very happy if the S9 does at least as good a job as the RemStar.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2012, 09:39 PM)EyesWideOpen Wrote: Well my DME confirmed today that the S9 Autoset that they received for me has version 905. I pick it up tomorrow

Awesome Eyeswideopen!!
I hope you enjoy your S9 as much as I do mine. Mine is a rent to own in 9 months, but if insurance wasnt paying I would not hesitate in ponying up the cash to buy it.
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2012, 09:39 PM)EyesWideOpen Wrote: Well my DME confirmed today that the S9 Autoset that they received for me has version 905. I pick it up tomorrow, and put my Respironics RemStar Auto M Series into a well deserved semi-retirement. I'll use it for travelling and RVing and as a back-up to the S9. It has been very good to me, and after five years of 100% compliance I can say that this has been a very reliable and trusted friend. It has made an unbelieavable difference in my life, and I'll be very happy if the S9 does at least as good a job as the RemStar.

Fantastic. Glad you have the "latest and greatest"! At some point, you might let us know if your machine will accept the SDHC cards as well. I fully expect that it will, but you never know!
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
I think ResMed should immediately destroy all unsold machines prior to firmware 905! The cost of will be passed on to the consumer! For those of you who have had a machine longer than 6 months, the firmware is likely out of date and your machine must be replaced. Otherwise, you will have that nagging feeling of operating with obsolete equipment and ineffective treatment!

I'm not just a little worried that we are getting too fussy about something that is entirely speculative. We have no idea that these firmware modification have any significance to treatment effectiveness! If that were the case, would not a recall be mandatory?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2012, 06:37 PM)HeadGear Wrote: I think ResMed should immediately destroy all unsold machines prior to firmware 905! The cost of will be passed on to the consumer! For those of you who have had a machine longer than 6 months, the firmware is likely out of date and your machine must be replaced. Otherwise, you will have that nagging feeling of operating with obsolete equipment and ineffective treatment!

I'm not just a little worried that we are getting too fussy about something that is entirely speculative. We have no idea that these firmware modification have any significance to treatment effectiveness! If that were the case, would not a recall be mandatory?

LOL....... good point. 99+% of patients take what the dme gives them and are happy to have it, have no complaints and are properly treated. its only the small minority of patients that participate in forums that have any idea about different models and updates and data. cpap blows air. all the rest is bells and whistles. in a way it's like comparing cars. a 2012 ford will get you there just as well as a 2012 chevy or dodge.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2012, 07:14 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: ... cpap blows air. all the rest is bells and whistles. in a way it's like comparing cars. a 2012 ford will get you there just as well as a 2012 chevy or dodge.

Perhaps a better analogy would be that a 1956 Chevy will get you there as well as a 2012 Chevy. But without seat belts, air bags, better tires, etc. etc. etc.. But since ResMed COULD, if they chose, update their firmware with little effort, including providing their DMEs with an SD card to do just that, I feel little sympathy with demanding that I receive their current best. For example, I prefer being able to review my data - try that in an older model with older firmware! :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,010 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  AHI vs Desaturation -which is more important? vwboop 1 151 03-08-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  ReMed Airsense software/firmware Ralph436 22 1,123 01-23-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: george1945
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Firmware Update 4600.10.7 hobbycamguy 4 579 01-15-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: hobbycamguy
  Information About Knightbridge Dual Chin Strap - IMPORTANT cmpman1974 0 440 12-13-2023, 12:31 AM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  What's the latest on the connection between PTSD and OSA/UARS? TryingToGetItRight 0 406 10-08-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: TryingToGetItRight
  My Mother's latest chart, I try to raise max pressure but she doesn't like it: Phaleronic 9 852 06-26-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.