Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How important is it to have the latest firmware version?
RE: How important is it to have the latest firmware version?
(05-03-2012, 12:45 PM)SamWong2012 Wrote:
(04-13-2012, 11:20 PM)Surly Wrote: According to the link Paula02 posted previously in this thread my S9 has firmware version 905 (SW FX474-905).

The following are the FW versions from my S9-VPAP-Auto I got from Apria on Jan 22, 2012, do I need to upgrade my VPAP? If Yes, how do I do that?

SW SX474-0903
BID SX525-0300
VID 9
RID 100
HID SX496-0211
My goodness, why would you need to upgrade!!?? This is exactly the anxious scenario I was concerned about with all this obsessiveness about having the latest firmware! Your S9 VPAP Auto is quite up to date, so there is no need to be worried.

There is no way to upgrade the firmware and exchanging for a newer machine could be costly, a waste of time and a waste of a perfectly good machine! You would gain nothing in performance and treatment effectiveness!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-03-2012, 12:45 PM)SamWong2012 Wrote: .... do I need to upgrade my VPAP? If Yes, how do I do that?

Whether you would need to update, if that ever becomes possible, would depend entirely on what features an update provides. For example, if ResMed were to offer a new algorythm, or some additional features you felt were great, of course you would update, IMO. Or if you could get the latest update for the same price, as part of an original machine purchase, seems also like a no-brainer to me to get the most current. I recognize there are people who feel that as long as their current machine blows air, there is no reason to update. However, as someone earlier posted, that approach is very similar to choosing not to install a couple of service packs for your computer OS. If you don't want the improvements, and are happy with equipment running outdated code, just don't do it. Fairly simple stuff. And a personal choice. Same thing here.

As ResMed doesn't provide a method to update your firmware, this is really a moot point anyway. Since the newer firmware would provide, at best, a non-advertised upgrade (and therefore something unlikely to be "big stuff"), or perhaps merely some bug fix, it hardly seems likely anyone would want to spend the money to buy a new machine for that alone, and then have to fight to get the latest firmware available then. While you don't have the latest of everything, as most of us do not, your machine is undoubtedly sufficiently current to handle all your needs.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to agree with HeadGear on this one. I realize that the OP has another machine to use while he tries to find a machine with the latest greatest firmware, but look at the time and effort involved with that. It seems that even the manufacturer is not sure what is the latest. Obviously there are thousands of people using the machines effectively using the older versions. If the older versions were not effective, or if there was something causing adverse affects, they would be recalled. I just would not want to see anyone delay treatment while trying to get the latest greatest. Another thing to consider is IF you do manage to finally track down a machine with the latest greatest firmware, what are you going to do if they release a new firmware the next day?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, it's been two weeks since they discovered the machine they were going to give me had 904, and I still have no news on the 905 version. Rritch is right in saying that I am lucky that I still have a functioning machine to rely on while I'm waiting. I am beginning to wonder if it was really worth waiting as Rritch also says, that there could be a new release of firmware the very next day. However, at this point I may as well wait it out. I am sending them e-mails every 4 or 5 days just so they know that I'm still here. The tone of the last one showed some irritation at not even receiving some feedback from the ResMed rep, let alone the promised machine!
Post Reply Post Reply
Britch, from your last post, I don't think we are on the same thread as to the issues on which I have been posting. One of us is really off somewhere, IMO. :grin: First, I am unaware of who or what OP is, as my latest response was directed to SamWong, as far as I can tell. Perhaps OP is shorthand for something I am not familiar with, and if so, I'm sorry. And my prior posts on the same issue, about getting the most current firmware, were directed to EyesWideOpen. But assuming you are correct in your designation, I will proceed to respond to your post, although I will assume Sam is the person we are actually initially discussing. And I didn't think his question related to getting a new machine, as you indicate, but the possibility of updating a machine he acquired last January. And he doesn't have a loaner - none of the inquiring people to whom I responded did, AFAIK, they all had their own machines, but... Anyway... Moving on...

(05-03-2012, 05:44 PM)Rritch Wrote: I have to agree with HeadGear on this one. I realize that the OP has another machine to use while he tries to find a machine with the latest greatest firmware, but look at the time and effort involved with that.

As stated above, I don't think he has a "loaner". That said, I see little difference in a "loaner" machine and an identical one actually owned, other than some possible pride of ownership which might somehow be derived by some individuals. And that to me seems a rather nebulous reason to want to acquire an older version of anything while paying the price of a new and current version. And using a "loaner" does NOT delay treatment, although I confess that for me I don't see the same urgency that a week or two at max, if any delay at all, might make to someone having had untreated sleep apnea for years, as I did. But lets not go down that path - that is NOT the case here, and NOT what is being discussed.

As to time and effort expended, that would be the choice of the person seeking the latest firmware and expending either of those. Not a decision to make for someone else, seems to me. If you don't care if its not updated, then get it. Simple enough. But you don't know what updates are included in the newest firmware - ResMed won't say. You only know there are updates, which includes new features and/or bug fixes, or there wouldn't be a new firmware number.

(05-03-2012, 05:44 PM)Rritch Wrote: It seems that even the manufacturer is not sure what is the latest.

I was unaware that the manufacturer wasn't sure about its firmware - I absolutely think there is a difference between not disclosing and not knowing something. And surely you are not equating what tech support might say and what management might know? And as far as I know, no outsider knows what the ResMed's internal policies are, or what they do or don't know about their firmware. If you do, you have an inner line to ResMed denied to most. And we do know that they feel it is improved, or they wouldn't issue it with a new number.

(05-03-2012, 05:44 PM)Rritch Wrote: Obviously there are thousands of people using the machines effectively using the older versions.

And using years old machines, as well, I agree. Sort of "it seems to work OK, why try anything newer"? After all, x-rays worked fine, why would we want CT scans (x-rays on steroids with computers)? Seems to me like a head in the sand approach, and a rather backward view, IMO. I thought we settled that issue, at least as a country, in the Industrial Revolution.

(05-03-2012, 05:44 PM)Rritch Wrote: If the older versions were not effective...they would be recalled.

You apparently believe that somebody will "recall" the firmware if there are new features or bug fixes not previously disclosed. Why you believe that I don't know, but unless there was a serious failure of the equipment caused by the firmware, something never part of this or any earlier discussion, I strongly doubt that there would be a recall of any kind, and whatever occurred, if anything, would be a long time coming. BUT we have always been talking about new features and bug fixes, not issues with perfomance, which is something entirely different and unrelated. Personally, I have little faith that ANYONE is better equipped to look after me than I am, and I correspondingly have a deep lack of faith that the government is truly here to help me, including by a recall if I don't get the latest fixes/updates. And I strongly believe I should get what I pay for - which in this case would be the latest firmware.

(05-03-2012, 05:44 PM)Rritch Wrote: I just would not want to see anyone delay treatment while trying to get the latest greatest.

Never EVER been an issue in any of my posts. EyesWideOpen (the original poster) has had a machine for a considerable period of time, and SamWong (the most recent poster to whom I responded) acquired his back in January. Doesn't seem relevant to mention delay in treatment when that is, and I will say again, never been an issue. I also have expressed my view on possible delay elsewhere in this post, but whether or not there even is delay is dependent on the DME and where you live.

(05-03-2012, 05:44 PM)Rritch Wrote: Another thing to consider is IF you do manage to finally track down a machine with the latest greatest firmware, what are you going to do if they release a new firmware the next day?

Since we don't know what the future will bring, why would we worry about it? You do the best with what you know and can control. If they come out with something better in the future, be it tomorrow or next year, and if you want it and can afford it, buy it. But don't cry about it or worry about it now. And if you took that approach, you would never buy a new car.

But all said and done, the issue to which I addressed my latest post, and to which you apparently responded, is whether or not the latest firmware can or should be updated (or should be acquired if purchasing a new machine, as asked by a prior poster). The former was the question asked by SamWong, as far as I can tell from re-reading his post, and to which I answered. Is getting firmware which may or may not contain new features, and if not, at least bug fixes, worth waiting a short time, if any, to get particularly when the cost is the same as the old and non-updated version? And I believe it unquestionably is, and that it is foolish to pay the same price for old and outdated firmware when I can get newest and latest, PARTICULARLY for each of the two individuals ALREADY receiving xPAP. I further support your right to believe, as does HG, that it is unreasonable to get the latest, and that since older machines work well, to just stick with those. But I believe that choice is best made by the person getting the machine. After all, they are paying for it.

But what it all boils down to, as I have said many times, is I cannot imagine getting older firmware (or anything else) for the same price as newer and better. But, obviously, you and HG disagree, which is, as I said, your right. And before you disagree with my phrase "newer and better", recognize that ResMed would not create a newer/updated firmware unless they thought it was newer and better. And that's all any of us can go on.

Post Reply Post Reply
OP = original poster (the person who started the thread_
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Jumpstart, as Paula already pointed out OP - Original Poster (EyesWideOpen). My response was not directed at any of your posts. The point that I was trying to make was that in this case EyesWideOpen has another machine to use while he tries to track down a machine with the latest code but others may not. I simply would hate to see someone delay treatment weeks or more based solely on trying to get a specific or latest firmware. With regards to my comment related to the manufacturer knowing what is the latest firmware, it was in relation to the various answers that EyesWideOpen has received from the various sales and support reps that he has dealt with. Since none of us know what has changed on 905, it is difficult for any of us to know whether it is truly worth the delay and effort. It is my opinion that it probably is not based on the number of people using the machines successfully with the earlier versions but your opinion may be different which is totally fine. Again I am just concerned that someone will see this and feel that they should delay treatment for the sole reason of trying to get the latest firmware which by EyesWideOpens own admission has proven difficult and may not have been worth the effort. Not trying to start any arguments here just expressing my opinions and concerns.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2012, 12:00 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: OP = original poster (the person who started the thread_

(05-04-2012, 12:27 PM)Rritch Wrote: Jumpstart, as Paula already pointed out OP - Original Poster (EyesWideOpen).

Ahhh. Now I know, thanks. I wondered if it was shorthand.

And, Britch, I did think your post was directed at mine. However, I appreciate your last response, and acknowledge that EyesWideOpen has apparently waited a long time - although I haven't figured out actual days. Not all, however, would have significant delays or even delays at all. I didn't. They merely need to make their DME aware of their knowledge and insure that they get the most recent. And I think that is important, although I wouldn't wait a very long time to get it if my apnea was severe. I would change DMEs first. :grin: And I concur fully with your statement "Not trying to start any arguments here just expressing my opinions and concerns." We can disagree without being disagreeable.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2012, 12:44 PM)JumpStart Wrote: And, Britch, I did think your post was directed at mine.

I know you didn't do this on purpose, but in your last two posts you spelled his username wrong.. it's Rritch, not Britch...

Just didn't want Rritch to think you're calling him the B word that rhymes with "itch". Too-funny

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Jumpstart not a problem at all. I agree completely people can have different opinions and it is nice to see a healthy and civil debate of those opinions Thanks

SS believe me growing up with the last name RITCH is was often changed to a "B" (I dont't believe that was Jumpstarts intention). You get used to it and since it is not spelled RICH like most people exptect I will tell people it is spelled like the "B" word with an R Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,417 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  AHI vs Desaturation -which is more important? vwboop 1 154 03-08-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  ReMed Airsense software/firmware Ralph436 22 1,128 01-23-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: george1945
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Firmware Update 4600.10.7 hobbycamguy 4 580 01-15-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: hobbycamguy
  Information About Knightbridge Dual Chin Strap - IMPORTANT cmpman1974 0 443 12-13-2023, 12:31 AM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  What's the latest on the connection between PTSD and OSA/UARS? TryingToGetItRight 0 411 10-08-2023, 09:23 PM
Last Post: TryingToGetItRight
  My Mother's latest chart, I try to raise max pressure but she doesn't like it: Phaleronic 9 858 06-26-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.