Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How is ramp time/pressure determined?
How is ramp time/pressure determined?
Mine was originally at 6 - 8 for 45 minutes. How did they come up with that?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How is ramp time/pressure determined?
45 minutes is max ramp time. They just left it at the longest time.
The 8 is obvious. Starting at 6 is about the min pressure people can use and not feel starved for air.

So, there was no real thought as to that setting; especially wrt time.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Ramp is considered a comfort setting, not a therapy prescription. There was no thought put into it, that's up to you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are two settings that can be changed. Time and starting pressure.

I use ramp differently than anyone else. I set my "time" to auto. This means any rise in pressure will not start until you begin to fall asleep. Or at least as best the machine can tell.

I then set the "Start pressure" to the same as my minimum pressure. I know this defeats the "ramp" feature but it also delays any increase in pressure until you actually start to sleep.

Works for me.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I found using the ramp was not for me. I turned it off.

It is just to help some people get used to the pressure increase with cpap. The cpap equipment does not produce much pressure. It is the volume of air that changes with each inhale or exhale. If your mask is leaking or off your face the machine puts out as much air volume as it can, at almost no pressure.

When I start my auto cpap machine I do not have the mask on my face. My auto setting for high is 20 (max). The machine is trying to reach this pressure it can not as the mask is not on my face. As I put the mask on it stops the leaks and the machine lowers the pressure and volume to my settings.

I am not bothered by this it clears the machine and hose of any stale air. I am able to seat the mask to my face and go to sleep quickly with very few leaks during the night.

Cpap and this fourm have improved my life. I keep reading and working on making it better.

Keep working for yourself and Best Wishes for a New Year. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. Myself, I like the ramp time.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is why this forum is so good different strokes for different folks. Exchanging ideas like

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 624 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 245 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 175 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 812 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,222 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.