Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long??
How long??
I have not been able to find the answer to this question other than probably going back to the sleep doctor. How long does it take to actually develop?? I was in the military for 24 years and I did a sleep test 9 months after I left active duty in 2008 which revealed OSA. Is it possible it could have built up in that time since I left the military?? I did a follow up test in 2014 and still had the same result along with restless leg syndrome. Also, I thought I read that OSA can cause high blood pressure?? Is that accurate?? Thanks and great forum!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How long??
Welcome

How long does it take to develop?
Some children are showing up with it.
Other folks have been having problems with it for years before seeking treatment.
At this point, in your case it is academic.
--- You have it ---
So...
Usually things get worse over time if left untreated.

The sooner you can get your therapy set up, tuned in and ironed out
the sooner you will have a chance at seeing improvement.

This group will help you find the path. (your doctors might not care to take the time)

We'll take it slow. Smile
Did your doctor prescribe a machine for you? (Not clear from your infomation posted so far)
If so, which machine do you have?

Hang in there and keep working on it..
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2015, 03:21 PM)Shastzi Wrote: Welcome

How long does it take to develop?
Some children are showing up with it.
Other folks have been having problems with it for years before seeking treatment.
At this point, in your case it is academic.
--- You have it ---
So...
Usually things get worse over time if left untreated.

The sooner you can get your therapy set up, tuned in and ironed out
the sooner you will have a chance at seeing improvement.

This group will help you find the path. (your doctors might not care to take the time)

We'll take it slow. Smile
Did your doctor prescribe a machine for you? (Not clear from your infomation posted so far)
If so, which machine do you have?

Hang in there and keep working on it..

The VA contends that I picked it up nine months after active duty. I contend that not only did I have it through some portion of active duty but it also caused my high blood pressure as well. I wasn't sure if you could pick up SA in just nine short months or not. I do wear a cpap that was prescribed by the doctor and had to have the pressure adjusted after my second testing in 2014. To this day, I have these really bad episodes at times like I am seriously grasping for air as I fall to sleep. It scares my wife to where she thinks I am having a heart attack or something!! Can't afford that now with her now in Afghanistan and me taking care of two young kids.. Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2015, 06:59 PM)bebbles Wrote: The VA contends that I picked it up nine months after active duty.

Do they make such a contention in order to give you a decreased benefit???

There is a proven correlation between blood pressure and apnea with the strongest evidence pointing towards apnea as the causation. They don't have a leg to stand on.

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
My BP is down considerably after ~ 3 months on CPAP. As is my cholsesterol - through the floor. Even my blood glucose numbers are better. No way to directly tell about my glaucoma.

However, each of my doctors have told me that OSA is a commonality, and the symptoms feed off each other.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2015, 07:03 PM)DariaVader Wrote:
(08-10-2015, 06:59 PM)bebbles Wrote: The VA contends that I picked it up nine months after active duty.

Do they make such a contention in order to give you a decreased benefit???

There is a proven correlation between blood pressure and apnea with the strongest evidence pointing towards apnea as the causation. They don't have a leg to stand on.

Sometimes when you claim certain benefits after active duty, they deny it but you can file an appeal (not sure if you are aware of the process). The process can be very lengthy to plead your case to a board of appeals and in my case, it's been pending since 2009. By all rights, I should have been granted my benefits to receive the medical treatment for this serious condition.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi bebbles,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Do you know which machine you have?
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it fine tuned.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
With any luck at all we can help you get rid of that mad suffocating thing
you have going.

Folks here need to know what machine you have so they can tell you how to adjust it yourself
so you can start getting some relief.
( yes it's easy to learn! )
Hang in here!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-10-2015, 07:50 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi bebbles,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Do you know which machine you have?
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it fine tuned.

I have the ResMed Mirage Swift II
Post Reply Post Reply
Very good! Good-work
Now if you edit your profile and put that into the mask make & model slot it will show up
on your display, save you answering repetitive questions.

You can do the same with your Machine as well.
If you aren't sure how to tell what make/model CPAP machine you have
just ask us!
Smile

Cheers!

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 163 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 265 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Long story short chronic 5 419 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 583 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 248 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 653 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 7,093 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.