Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long before seeing health benefits
RE: How long before seeing health benefits
(11-15-2014, 07:22 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Ghost1958, that's awesome! (ima1958ertoo...)

Ghost1958, that's FANTASTIC!! (ima1958ertoo) Cool
To all, to each, a fair good-night,
And pleasing dreams, and slumbers light.
       Scott—Marmion. L’Envoy. To the Reader.

Diagnosed with OSA in 2014
AHI=18
Lowest SpO2: 79%
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-15-2014, 07:25 PM)Lambsydoats Wrote:
(11-15-2014, 07:22 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Ghost1958, that's awesome! (ima1958ertoo...)

'58 was an awesome year Thumbs-up-2
Post Reply Post Reply
How many years did it take to get all messed up?
If you can correct all the problems in half or one quarter of those years, you might consider yourself lucky. It you are counting days, weeks or months good luck. As you can see a few folks have instant results others more subtle results.
After 4 years I no longer nod off behind the wheel. My nocturia is down to once a night, some nights not until 6 or 7 AM. Afib and BP still require meds. When I switched from APAP to ASV I gained 15 lbs from where I had been stable for 7 years. Still crave an afternoon nap. Never had headaches or GERD.
When you find the magic wand, please share it with all of us.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not so sure about 1958 being a great year, I spent it in the U.S.Army carrying a B.A.R. No, I don't look back with fond memories. It went downhill from there, I got married the following year. (just kidding, I think)

CPAP test answers:

Weight --- Lost 15 lbs. from lack of sleep before CPAP therapy, got 10 back
Cardiac status --- Still have BPM of 85 ~ 100, no change there
Polyuria/Nocturia --- Still wake 3 times nightly
Daytime yawning --- No change, still use it to tell folks when to leave
Attention span --- ....... Good except when Mrs. SD talks on & on (use yawning there too)
Post Reply Post Reply
I think there are significant health benefits that you might not see, such as less damage to your heart, less tendency to diabetes, not driving into a bridge abutment on the way to work, the real possibility of making it to 90 instead of only to 70, etc.

I honestly did not agree to the therapy for the benefit of feeling better as much as jumping fully on board once I understood how dangerous being strangled 55.7 times an hour really could be. With APAP I'm now down to about 3, maybe it can go even lower.

I have seen benefits. The first night I used the machine was also the first night ever in 5 years that I did not have to get up in the middle of the night to pee. Apparently not a coincidence. And it is worth it just for that; in 70 days I have had to get up once, maybe twice.

I am not falling asleep in meetings or on my way to work or on those brutal 4 AM shifts I sometimes have to cover. I also feel more with it, and more connected to everything. I actually feel smarter, and less like a guy who didn't get any sleep last night.

But other than that, I do not feel physically "better". On the contrary, it seems this therapy has caused me to have sinus headaches in the middle of the day, something I never had before. But they seem to be diminishing. I also seem to always have a bit of a sore throat.
Post Reply Post Reply
My results were almost immediate. No more snoring, no more afternoon naps, no more endless nightly bathroom trips. It's a miracle machineDancing

I'm so thankful I found a machine and help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well after having only 6 nights of therapy so far, as at an average of 6 1/2 hours a night on the PAP I do find myself feeling much sharper in the morning than I had before beginning therapy, with better concentration as I begin my workday. This appears to be great indication that I am on a good track with the therapy and that it does indeed work.
Post Reply Post Reply
The real important benefits show up immediately. You can't feel them but they're there. The lesser important benefits may take longer so be patient, they'll appear sooner or later. One day you'll just spontaneously start singing again and wonder why you hadn't done that lately. You'll wake up and stretch in the morning and feel like running the marathon. Your mood will be so upbeat that the small stuff no longer upsets you. It'll come, trust me and keep on PAPing.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me it was immediate results, but I also quit smoking same day I started CPAP, double whammy at getting healthier.

No more hangovers. ( morning headaches )
No more reflux. ( I didn't know OSA caused it)
More daytime energy.
Better memory
Better concentration
Feel 20 years younger, ( shame I don't look it )

Quality of life 100% better.

CPAP rules OK !
Failure is NOT an option.
Post Reply Post Reply

(11-15-2014, 08:02 PM)DariaVader Wrote:

'58 was an awesome year Thumbs-up-2

Yep us 58 models rockCool Just need a little work on the breather systemsLaugh-a-lot

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gut Absorbtion Health? Zoltyzolt 0 89 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Zoltyzolt
  React Health Luna G3 CPAP apotter11 3 201 03-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 559 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 615 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
Cool [Health] FYI: OSA AND EYE HEALTH srlevine1 2 305 01-27-2024, 01:54 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.