Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long can you expect your machine to last?
How long can you expect your machine to last?
Hi,

I've had my ResMed S9 Elite for just over 3 years now, however since I haven't used it much until just about a month ago, it probably has around 3 months of total usage so far.

Based on your experience, how long can you realistically expect your machine to last, before it has to be replaced?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How long can you expect your machine to last?
Typical hours usage life expectancy for XPAP Machines is in the range of 15,000 breathing hours. I have used XPAP for many years (about 30 now) and have had several machines that I used during that time span. Only one totally died, and it had been in nightly service for 6+ years when failure occurred.. 

Unless the current generations of machines have been "down engineered" for shorter lives, your machine would be expected to last five or more actual usage years. The years that a machine sat unused are unlikely to subtract time from the life expectancy.

TheDuke
Post Reply Post Reply
My M-Series auto had 20K hours and still ran fine when replaced. Assuming 8-hours/day, 365 days per year, a machine racks about 2920 hours per year. That machine had almost 7 years, and I believe it could go 10. Less if you drop it, or let water into the electronics. A standby machine is never a bad idea. Electrical surges and accidents can cause failures, and sometimes just s#it happens. Your machine is practically new.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used my Respironics Solo LX for 16 years.  It still works but it sounds like a weed whacker now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds good. Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
As others have mentioned, they are designed to last 5 years or 15,000 hours. The guy who fixed my bro's old bipap said that only about 5% of Respironics or Resmed machines fail before 15,000 hours, but there is a big drop off at 20,000 (that's 7 years of continual use). By then, you are looking at replacing seals if the motor is still running well or you won't get correct pressures, which is what was replaced on bro's bipap (so he had a backup). Seals still age sitting in a closet, but not as fast as when in use usually.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an old Sunrise Horizon at least 18 years old that
is showing 39,174 hrs that still works . Then I have a
Remstar M with just over 20,000 hrs on it that's starting
to act up, it runs fine but the on off switch often needs
to be pressed a couple of times.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2017, 07:24 AM)E.W. Wrote: I have an old Sunrise Horizon at least 18 years old that
is showing 39,174 hrs   that still works . Then I have a
Remstar M with just over 20,000 hrs on it that's starting
to act up, it runs fine but the on off switch often needs
to be pressed a couple of times.

With some electronics that have on/off switch problems, we found plugging it into a strip with its own on/off can extend the life, especially if repairing the switch isn't feasible.  Then you turn it on and leave it on and just use the on/off on the electric strip. Doesn't work with the newer cpap machines though.  Bro's old machine has 21,000 hours on it, so yeah, these are machine beasts that can keep on going and going.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is all  very good to hear. I just hope I won't jinx mine. Big Grin 

Thank you all!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 356 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 545 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 208 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 601 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,737 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 261,281 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 670 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.