Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long did it take to get treated?
How long did it take to get treated?
I'm wondering how long it usually takes to get treated from the first time you call to get an appointment from a sleep center.

I called for an appointment back in mid December and got an appointment in mid January. They then scheduled a home sleep study in late March where I was diagnosed with severe OSA. I have a titration study scheduled in late May and I'm informed that I will get a machine six weeks after that, so mid July. I am very frustrated with the length of this process, especially if it is considered to be a serious condition. I told the receptionist that I'm suffering and unable to be effective at work. But she just said, "Well we can put you on a cancellation list, but there's already a lot of people on it."

tl;dr: I may get a PAP machine after 7 months of waiting. frustrated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How long did it take to get treated?
Welcome to the forum,

And sorry about your long wait.

It varies widely. I was on my machine 1 month after my first visit, but 2 weeks of that was getting preauthorization from the insurance company as a result of me getting the doctor to change the prescription to the one I wanted and not the basic brick.

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
All total, for me it took about 5 months. Others report they have a sleep study done and walk out with machine.

So you can see that it varies, depending where you live.

Hang in there, and in the meantime, sleep on your side. Try to stay off your back. Also, if you have a way to sleep elevated, do so. I used to practically live in a recliner before I got my machine. It was the only way I got thought the night.

While your playing the waiting game, here is a link to help you learn about the various machines available, and which ones to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2016, 06:47 AM)upat3am Wrote: I'm wondering how long it usually takes to get treated from the first time you call to get an appointment from a sleep center.

It took me 4 months to get the sleep study done.
After that was done I had a machine within 2 weeks.
I would call another supplier and cancel the one with the longest wait time.
I got a letter 2 months after starting CPAP that my insurance okayed it.
Useless bastards
Post Reply Post Reply
My cardiologist recommended a sleep study which was done one week later. I walked out with a Resmed Autoset (later changed to a VPAP Adapt).

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2016, 06:47 AM)upat3am Wrote: I'm wondering how long it usually takes to get treated from the first time you call to get an appointment from a sleep center.

Hello upat3am,

What country are you in? - it's not in your User Profile. The process seems to vary widely between countries, and, within-countries, between states/Departments.

Here in France, my cardiologist referred me. A chest/sleep physician saw me three weeks later and I went home that night with home-test equipment. Returned the kit the next day then an appointment again 2 weeks later for the results, then the prescription was 'phoned in and a technician (called 'prestataires' here) phoned me to make an appointment and visited me at home within 2 weeks with the machine, a large van full of different masks to try, and etc. Started treatment that night. All paid for by my tax-contribution State health care and compulsory top-up private insurance.

(I then ran into 14 months of inadequate CPAP treatment because of three different sleep doctors who appeared to know remarkably little about sleep apnoea! - but that is another story).

Once you've told us which country you live in, other members on the forum may be able to help you about circumventing the delays you are having. I hope you get sorted very soon.
.....................................................................................

My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 11-15. PS 3-10

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2016, 07:33 AM)Asjb Wrote: Hello upat3am,

What country are you in?

sf bay area, California, USA
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi upat3am,

Welcome to the board.

I took me about 5 months from when I was referred by my PCP for a sleep study until I received my machine.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow. Do you have the option of using another provider?

In my case, the time between being referred by my primary care doctor to picking up my CPAP machine was about three months. I thought that was very reasonable.

After I was diagnosed, though, the sleep doctor's office pretty much stopped returning my calls, and the DME (equipment provider) wasn't very helpful either.

I spent two months waving my hands in the air and having one problem after another until I finally found this forum in early Feb. of this year.

If there's an AWAKE sleep apnea support group in the area where you live, you might get some good info about local sleep doctors from whoever is in charge of it.

I called for an appointment back in mid December and got an appointment in mid January. They then scheduled a home sleep study in late March where I was diagnosed with severe OSA. I have a titration study scheduled in late May and I'm informed that I will get a machine six weeks after that, so mid July. I am very frustrated with the length of this process, especially if it is considered to be a serious condition. I told the receptionist that I'm suffering and unable to be effective at work. But she just said, "Well we can put you on a cancellation list, but there's already a lot of people on it."

Post Reply Post Reply
Contact your doctor about foregoing the titration study and getting setup with an auto-titrating CPAP (APAP). I is becoming increasingly common to prescribe an auto cpap and let patients self-titrate. You have a diagnosis, and any physician can use that as the basis to prescribe an auto CPAP. I suggest you try your primary physician and see if he will give you a script. Titration studies are very expensive, and don't really give very good long-term information. If you have obstructive sleep apnea, you need a CPAP. If your study showed complex apnea, then a titration may be helpful, but chances are you will get a CPAP anyway, and won't be upgraded to bilevel or ASV until you fail CPAP. You can literally save thousands of dollars just taking the auto CPAP shortcut, and be treated much sooner.

Get a copy of your sleep study results and recommendations. That will be sufficient to obtain the prescription.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One machine says I'm treated, another suggests I'm not shawsg 5 156 03-10-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Long story short chronic 5 356 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 545 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 208 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 601 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,737 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 670 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.