Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long did it take you to get used to the machine?
RE: How long did it take you to get used to the machine?
Adjustment for everyone is different. I have the Swift FX. When I began I remember being afraid to move into different positions because I feared my mask would become dislodged. That was as uncomfortable as anything just feeling like I couldn't turn from one position to another as I was accustomed to. I have been at therapy now for 8 months next week. I sleep on both sides, on my back and even on my stomach sometimes. I don't have any problems dislodging the mask. I feel like the mask is pretty forgiving. I loop excess hose up around the post of my bed and it keeps it out of the way for the most part. There is a bit of a learning curve for fitting the mask and setting the nasal pillows right. Eventually you will learn what feels right and what feels wrong. My leak rate is low. I have never had it over the allotted 24L/min. The highest it has ever been is 12L/min. But now for many weeks I have been consistent averaging 7-8 L/min.

Keep at it and don't give up. It gets better and benefits outweigh the hassles.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2014, 07:59 AM)vig1116 Wrote: I'm assuming the sleep I am getting is the good kind?

You probably are getting deeper sleep, which is the good kind. But the mask and hose and air current and pressure are all new to you so they interfere with your sleep. Gradually you'll get used to it and it will become the new normal.

If you're like me you'll start noticing that you're getting at least some better sleep when you wake up in the morning. But only on some days. And the number of good days increases in frequency. That then becomes the new normal. For me it's a process of gradual improvement.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for all the input guys. I'm not looking foreword to sleep in a little bit. Last night was the worst of the 4 so far. The nasal pillows are great cause i have a deviated septum and have never been able to breathe great from my nose, and with the pillows it opens up the airway better than things like breathe right ever have, but for some reason my mouth opened a few times, enough to wake me gasping from the pressure of the pillows in the nose. I asked the Dr for a prescription for a new mask and i am going to try the ignored hybrid pillow and mouth mask to see if thats better. If any of you have used this I would love to hear thoughts. The weird thing is, it was my worst night, but my numbers were the best so far. AHI .9 (.1 AI, .8 HI) and mask fit was good for the most part... It was the first time i couldn't finish the night with the machine and only used it 5 1/2 hours... Sorry for the rant, very frustrated at getting less sleep than I've ever had the last 4 nights.... It's also scary when you have a bad night, then start thinking this is for the rest of your life.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-21-2014, 09:41 PM)vig1116 Wrote: but for some reason my mouth opened a few times, enough to wake me gasping from the pressure of the pillows in the nose.

That's common. Are you wearing a chin strap? If not, that's worth a try instead of the full face or hybrid mask.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a newbie - in my third week, trialling my second device. For the past two weeks (using the Resmed S9) I've only been under compliance time on one night. I've had some breaks according to the Resscan software, but I'm not really bothered. I'm still seeing 4 - 5 events per hour, but that isn't a worry, really.
Bottom line is that I now stay awake all day instead of crashing in the early afternoon and sleeping through until the next morning. And that's the real test of whether the device is working or not. I go in tomorrow to hand in my trial machine and pick up my very own CPAP - a ResMed S9 Elite, with a couple of different Nasal pillow masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it is true to say that it is different stroke for different folks...

A lot of people struggle but most seem to 'get it' in a few days. I was fortunate and took to CPAP straight away on the first night.

I am a technical type and so knowing that this was a rational solution to an identified problem made it easy for me to get over any mental hurdle.

I think it was harder for Mrs Moriarty to accept that I could accept that this was the way it had to be for the rest of my life.... I think she thinks I am a grumpy sod who doesn't like being told what to do so she expected me to have more of an issue than I did.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think this is the very most asked question by everyone when they find this site. I know it was my first major question. I must say from what I have read being here we all say the same thing, everyone is different. But it seems that from what I have read within a 30 day window people seem to adapt pretty well. I know from speaking with a friend that is a therapist that 28 days of repetitive behavior constitutes a habit. So they claim (don't know if it is true or not, but they claim) if you can do anything for that time frame you can for better or worse make it a permanent fixture, ie., if you can stop smoking for that period then you can do it forever, so I think this is about the same. I also feel that since we feel so crappy when finally diagnosed we adapt faster because it is making us feel better. For me about 2 weeks in I got better at it. I am 6-7 months in now, and even now I have my good and bad nights, most are pretty good I'd say about 90% but every once in a while I have a night where the headgear won't cooperate or the mask won't seal or I'm in a less than happy mood, and there goes a yuck nights sleep. Sounds like you are doing pretty well, wish you all the best, hang on it gets better.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks guys!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Good post Glactus!

vig1116, pressure in your mouth is common. I had it a lot in the beginning. I don't think about it so much now. You may get used to it. I worked on breathing as naturally and evenly as I can through my nose when I mask up while waiting to go to sleep. I don't notice the build up in my mouth by doing that. As Sleepster mentioned, many use chin straps. If you like the mask and are getting good results, it may be worth working through the problems and give it more time. In the first few weeks I struggled to get much more than my compliance hours. That too is not uncommon. I had nocturia from OSA. It is a condition caused by OSA causing one to have to go to the bathroom numerous times throughout the night. When I began CPAP there was immediate relief. From having to get up 3-5 times a night, turned into 0 times a night. It took a bit longer to realize during the day that I no longer felt tired at my desk during the day and I could actually stay awake in the recliner in the evening until bed time. As Galactus pointed out, even those of us that have been at it for a while still have those difficult nights. The good nights do increase as you become used to it.

If you continue to use the nasal cushions, they do need to be changed periodically. I change mine once a month. Others can go longer. I notice when a change is needed. I fidget trying to get them comfortable and just can't get it right. They don't seal as well, they become flimsy and my AHI begins to creep up. That is my cue it is time to change them.
Post Reply Post Reply
thats very refreshing survivor! I definitely don't have a problem keeping the pillows/mask on the whole night, but the dry mouth every time i wake during the night def tells me i open during the night. The numbers last night said AHI 3.9, 0-OSA, 2.9 HI, 1-unknown. The leakage was not too bad, but out of almost 8 hrs sleep it said i had 14% above the 24 range. I think that will get better as i get used to all this, as it's only been 6 nights Smile The thing that I'm confused about is, even though i got 8hrs sleep, i woke up with huge bags under my eyes, not wide awake, and even though i woke up 3 times during the night i think i went right back to sleep... i want to take note if i get tired or take a nap later....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 380 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 559 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 614 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,805 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,130 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 678 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.