Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long do Philips Dreamwear Nasal Gel Pillows typically last?
Question 
How long do Philips Dreamwear Nasal Gel Pillows typically last?
At my followup appointment last week (a month into my CPAP experience), the tech was surprised to hear I'm still using the original gel-pillow interface piece that came with my Dreamwear package - she said that typically they should be replaced about every three weeks.  I haven't noticed any problems with them and they seem pretty durable, but I have noticed a slight bit more readjustment needed sometimes to get them to line up comfortably and effectively, so maybe the nosepieces are weakening.

How often do you exchange yours?

Fun Fact side note: the DME called to request a supply reorder last week as well, then got back to me saying my insurance company won't cover ANY supplies until 3 months have passed, in October, yet these nosepieces are supposed to be replaced at 3-week intervals?  I had them double-check and got the same response.

The DME didn't respond to my inquiry about how much they would cost me on a cash basis, so I got a couple spares via Amazon/eBay for about $16 each to tide me over - I checked some of the entries on the Supplier List and they're wanting about $38!  Yikes.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How long do Philips Dreamwear Nasal Gel Pillows typically last?
I don't use them, but I am often told my Nasal Pillows are to old and should have been replaced several times before they saw me again.
I was told they should be replaced every six months, but then I don't have the gel ones.  I think every three weeks is a bit much though!
I have used the same pillows for two years and more and the last ones lasted me 5 years.  I just replace them when there is signs they are worn.
Either that or they are starting to stain a bit.
However, as I said I do not have Gel ones, but if I was paying for them I would have a spare set and ise the ones I was using until they became a problem.  Keeping them clean is the answer and not just throwing them aside when we get up as most of us might be guilty of!
As long as they are not leaking and working fine, I would just get a spare set just in case.
If the insurance is paying for them I would still do the same, get a new set and keep them until I had a problem with the old ones.

If you insurers are paying for things, slowly build up spares like a hose, humidifier chamber etc.
Even if they are not paying, it pays to have the bits you can't do without for a night as spares.

Ask anyone, most will have had to do without something and their machine because they didn't think to have a spare part.
If a machine brakes down, there is nothing you can do unless you have bought a second hand one.
I have been stuck without a machine for 4 nights once, I thought I was going to die!
I couldn't sleep and when I did it was not long before the dig in the ribs came with the words "Hoi!  You stopped breathing!"

That was one hell of a weekend, broke down Friday night, holiday on Monday, got replacement on Tuesday.
It really does get so that you just can't survive without the machine, you forget how bad things were before CPAP.   Sad 

Drifting off the main subject!     Oh-jeez
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2018, 10:14 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: However, as I said I do not have Gel ones, but if I was paying for them I would have a spare set and ise the ones I was using until they became a problem.

Thanks!  I have the same plan in mind; use them until it's obvious they just aren't working for me anymore and have spares onhand as they become available to me.  I tend to use most everything I buy until the wheels fall off anyway.  A spare machine is a bit overkill at this point; my DME is less than an hour away if a replacement is needed and I'm pretty sure I can get to sleep without it if necessary for a while.  Last night I tried the Cushion version of the nosepiece instead of the Pillows for the first time; I think it leaks more but doesn't require as much fiddling to settle into place.  Not sure which will end up better for me.

I sanitize my system daily with a SoClean 2 machine and wipe down as necessary (I normally see little to no gunk buildup, so my stuff stays pretty pristine) so will continue as planned.

It's possible my insurance plan wants to have the followup-appointment report before authorizing replacement materials, so I'll be patient to see what happens.  I've been 100% compliant every day since starting, and results were immediate and effective so there should be no argument from there on that aspect.  I have yet to notice much difference the next day but the numbers say it's working, so I proceed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2018, 10:24 AM)JimInPT Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 10:14 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: However, as I said I do not have Gel ones, but if I was paying for them I would have a spare set and ise the ones I was using until they became a problem.

A spare machine is a bit overkill at this point; my DME is less than an hour away if a replacement is needed and I'm pretty sure I can get to sleep without it if necessary for a while. 

Keep your eyes open on craigs list etc there are some bargains to be had Murphies law sates that your machine will go wrong on a holiday weekend just before your going off to see relatives 6hrs away for a week and your stuck without a machine until you get back...
Post Reply Post Reply
IMO the DME suggesting 3 week replacement cushions are:

1. overkill on replacement to the extreme

2. knowing that insurance won't support that replacement plan, are attempting to get YOUR money

3. is driven only to get money (AKA padding the profit margin)
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, you may very well be correct; the new ones I got from eBay don't seem appreciably different from the one I've been using for five weeks.  Tried one of the new ones last night; it doesn't feel any different either.  The material looks and feels the same and the older one isn't noticeably any dirtier either. The 3-week replacement cycle was mentioned by the sleep-clinic technician at the hospital, which presumably has no vested interest since they don't sell any of the hardware - but maybe backs are bidirectionally scratched.

So I'll keep using one of the new ones for a while to see if there's any difference, but so far it doesn't look like it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry for unintended blaming the wrong party. Just had it in mind that the DME was up to these shenanigans. Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using Philips Dreamwear gel pillows for the past 18 months and have found it necessary to replace them at intervals not much longer than 2 weeks due to large leaks developing as the gel pillows stop effectively holding a seal against the nostrils. 

I never had large leaks with a mask used for around 2 weeks, but large leaks began every time that I tried to extend the period of use before replacement.  The large leaks occur even though the 2 week old gel pillows look new.  Since I started replacing regularly at 2 week intervals over a year ago, the large leak rate reported by my machine daily has been zero, except for a couple of times that I experimented again with extending the replacement period beyond 2 weeks to see if large leaks would still develop. 

So based on my own personal empirical results, my opinion is that the 3 week replacement period recommended to you is not unreasonable.  Both my previous private insurance and Medicare allow a 2 week replacement interval.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-29-2018, 10:33 PM)fwg1947 Wrote: I have been using Philips Dreamwear gel pillows for the past 18 months and have found it necessary to replace them at intervals not much longer than 2 weeks due to large leaks developing as the gel pillows stop effectively holding a seal against the nostrils. 

I never had large leaks with a mask used for around 2 weeks, but large leaks began every time that I tried to extend the period of use before replacement.  The large leaks occur even though the 2 week old gel pillows look new.  Since I started replacing regularly at 2 week intervals over a year ago, the large leak rate reported by my machine daily has been zero, except for a couple of times that I experimented again with extending the replacement period beyond 2 weeks to see if large leaks would still develop. 

So based on my own personal empirical results, my opinion is that the 3 week replacement period recommended to you is not unreasonable.  Both my previous private insurance and Medicare allow a 2 week replacement interval.

That's great first-hand information - thanks very much!  I think I'll reinstall my original set tonight to see if I notice significantly more leakage as well.  Seems odd that my insurance is fine with popping for the whole machine and initial setup but is balking at replacing these consumables until October.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh BTW the 3 week replacement interval being put in perspective from Planet Dave...3 weeks have to be marked off the calendar before I wash my mask and accessories...MAYBE sometimes sooner if I've had a cold or the COPD causes nose to run a bit... Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 4,954 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: btreger
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,462 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,218 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 165 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 266 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Dreamwear vs P30i Whacked 0 101 04-09-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: Whacked
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,102 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.