Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long do mask cushions last?
RE: How long do mask cushions last?
(03-07-2014, 06:49 PM)Eleong2 Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 06:21 PM)Gabby Wrote: That's one thing I don't envy you guys, having to shave every day. I suppose it just becomes like cleaning your teeth?
I wondered if our bearded friends have anymore trouble with leaks than us clean shaven people do?

Eleong2, good question as I am new and was wondering how often I should change my ResMed Swift FX Nano cushions. I was thinking once the leaks were getting uncontrollable maybe?

Hi Gabby,
Since being Asian my beard is fairly sparse, but what I do have is a pain. I hate shaving, and your right it does becomes a routine in the morning. With the stubble that I have in the evening the mask still seats pretty well the leak level is low. When I was in the military (Navy), the guys with beards used grease to help when they had to use emergency breathing devices masks. I wonder, as you, how these CPAP types of masks seal with their full beards?

Ed

Hi Ed,
Thanks for the tip about the grease, I shall bare it in mind in case things get desperate.
I was just wondering where you have read the horror stories to do with cleaning or should I say not cleaning your equipment? I wouldn't mind reading some.
Obviously the full bearded men are doing ok with their cpap masks, it just makes you wonder. I hate leaks.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2014, 04:32 PM)Eleong2 Wrote: I am currently using a Resmed Activa LT nasal mask and was wondering how many nights I can expect before needing cushion replacement. The one I am using now has about 5 weeks of use. The silicone seems softer than when new and starting to have a cloudy look but the leak rate is about the same as when new. I am fairly new with CPAP and would like to hear the experiences of others. Thank you

Ed

https://oig.hhs.gov/oei/reports/oei-07-12-00250.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I used same cushions for 3 months. I definitely noticed they became more flimsy, less comfortable, and harder getting them to work well. Being new to therapy I kind of wondered if I was going through one of those periodic phases when nothing was right about it. Then I began feeling really tired like I did before beginning therapy or maybe even worse. Thought I was getting sick. Before therapy I had developed coping skills. After starting therapy, it felt really lousy when that tiredness came back. My nose also started getting sore. I finally researched and read it can mean cushions need changing. Called my DME and they told me my insurance allows 2 new cushions per month and a new headgear every 6 months.

Things straightened out again when I got new cushions. I surely won't go that long again before changing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2014, 07:30 PM)me50 Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 04:32 PM)Eleong2 Wrote: I am currently using a Resmed Activa LT nasal mask and was wondering how many nights I can expect before needing cushion replacement. The one I am using now has about 5 weeks of use. The silicone seems softer than when new and starting to have a cloudy look but the leak rate is about the same as when new. I am fairly new with CPAP and would like to hear the experiences of others. Thank you

Ed

Hi me50,

That's great information, thanks. So it's the government recommendations that set the cycle for CPAP parts replacement. I noticed each state is different.

Ed

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2014, 07:30 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 06:49 PM)Eleong2 Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 06:21 PM)Gabby Wrote: That's one thing I don't envy you guys, having to shave every day. I suppose it just becomes like cleaning your teeth?
I wondered if our bearded friends have anymore trouble with leaks than us clean shaven people do?

Eleong2, good question as I am new and was wondering how often I should change my ResMed Swift FX Nano cushions. I was thinking once the leaks were getting uncontrollable maybe?

Hi Gabby,
Since being Asian my beard is fairly sparse, but what I do have is a pain. I hate shaving, and your right it does becomes a routine in the morning. With the stubble that I have in the evening the mask still seats pretty well the leak level is low. When I was in the military (Navy), the guys with beards used grease to help when they had to use emergency breathing devices masks. I wonder, as you, how these CPAP types of masks seal with their full beards?

Ed

Hi Ed,
Thanks for the tip about the grease, I shall bare it in mind in case things get desperate.
I was just wondering where you have read the horror stories to do with cleaning or should I say not cleaning your equipment? I wouldn't mind reading some.
Obviously the full bearded men are doing ok with their cpap masks, it just makes you wonder. I hate leaks.

Gabby,
When I was told that I needed to go on CPAP, I started to Google around and found other Apnea boards on the internet. I don't think it would be appropriate for me to mention "competitors". If you do a search you will find other boards. I personally think this board has more of a personal touch to support here. I find myself checking this board most of the time for information. But there are posts of people who have come down with some serious respiratory illness due to not cleaning their equipment. I have slight touch of asthma now, which I thought I outgrew years ago, and I have become a little paranoid about getting really sick.
Ed
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2014, 08:09 PM)ImaSurvivor Wrote: I used same cushions for 3 months. I definitely noticed they became more flimsy, less comfortable, and harder getting them to work well. Being new to therapy I kind of wondered if I was going through one of those periodic phases when nothing was right about it. Then I began feeling really tired like I did before beginning therapy or maybe even worse. Thought I was getting sick. Before therapy I had developed coping skills. After starting therapy, it felt really lousy when that tiredness came back. My nose also started getting sore. I finally researched and read it can mean cushions need changing. Called my DME and they told me my insurance allows 2 new cushions per month and a new headgear every 6 months.

Things straightened out again when I got new cushions. I surely won't go that long again before changing.

Hi ImaSurvior,

I was using the Wisp, prior to switching to the the Activa LT and I had to change cushions every two to three weeks. I noticed the cushions getting soft and they tended to leak a little more than usual. The Activa LT even after 5 weeks still sticks to my face and the leak rate seems the same. I guess it all depends on the mask. My insurance allowance is the same.
Ed
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2014, 07:18 PM)Gabby Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 06:21 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Eleong2,
What you could do when you clean your mask, is to gently scrub your cushion with a dishrag and that keeps it a bit tacky so it will stay in place when you use it. It also helps to get any access oils off of it.
Hope this helps you.

Thanks Trish, I am going to use your information.
Hi Gabby,
Well, I hope it helps.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-07-2014, 07:30 PM)me50 Wrote:

Ed

Thank you for that me50.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Who says we Yanks shave every day. I'm retired -- I may go a few days without shaving. [Image: oji.gif]

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
With CPAP, I'm in the habit of shaving every evening, the rationale being to minimize mask leaks. I hadn't considered its effect on the longevity of the mask cushion, though that's also worthwhile. (If one is shaving much less frequently than every day, in my experience the resulting stubble is softer, and so I'd imagine with less effect on the seal and cushion.)

For what it's worth, I'll attach a graph of my leaks for the past two weeks, which covers a cushion replacement two nights ago. Leaks seemed notably reduced, especially in the daily graphs, but that's TMI at this point. I should update this comparison in a couple of weeks when there's enough data to start to be meaningful.

[attachment=724]

My expectation of the answer to the question, is that cushions last until their effectiveness notably and measurably degrades, but I don't even know what that timeframe is for myself, never mind for anyone else. (If I'd known what that timeframe is, I would have replaced that cushion earlier, right?)

This might end up giving me something useful to derive from looking at Sleepyhead graphs. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 380 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 559 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 614 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,805 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  Nose mask vs nasal cushions and leak dry eyes silverdr 6 917 09-22-2023, 06:51 PM
Last Post: KeepingItSimple
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 678 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.