Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Good/bad DME supplier?
RE: Good/bad DME supplier?
My little mom and pop DME sucks. They never return my phone calls, when we go there during the day there is never anyone there. They are terrible!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used Lincare and Apria. Apria was awful. I've been fairly pleased with Lincare. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, it probably depends on the local office.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2019, 09:17 PM)70sSanO Wrote: I’ve always had a physical prescription in hand and did not let my doctor send it electronically.

I have always felt I have more leverage if I control the prescription and not the DME.  It takes a bit more effort, but you can call and talk to DME’s you are considering.  They’ll tell you to have your doctor send it, but you let them know it will give it to whoever can provide the right machine.

John

If you are on Medicare, your prescription isn't even usable if you plan to have Medicare pay. They contact the doc for an electronic prescription.  This is the custom due to auditing - it isn't actually in the 'rules'.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-12-2019, 03:00 PM)Melman Wrote: I have used Lincare and Apria. Apria was awful. I've been fairly pleased with Lincare. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, it probably depends on the local office.

It TOTALLY depends on the local office.  My experience with Lincare has been down right FELONIOUS!  As in we bill for mask 'fittings' that never happened.  My local Lincare uses TYPEWRITERS!!  MAYBE SO THERE IS NO EVIDENCE??!?
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 09:27 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 09:17 PM)70sSanO Wrote: I’ve always had a physical prescription in hand and did not let my doctor send it electronically.

I have always felt I have more leverage if I control the prescription and not the DME.  It takes a bit more effort, but you can call and talk to DME’s you are considering.  They’ll tell you to have your doctor send it, but you let them know it will give it to whoever can provide the right machine.

John

If you are on Medicare, your prescription isn't even usable if you plan to have Medicare pay. They contact the doc for an electronic prescription.  This is the custom due to auditing - it isn't actually in the 'rules'.

My idea when it was time to get a new machine was to have the Dr write me a physical prescription with the exact machine name and model, so the DME couldn't screw around.  Can they still do this electronically?  I know the DME is only interested in profit and nothing else.
Post Reply Post Reply

John

Nope.  I’m on Medicare.  Went to Medicare.gov and got a list of suppliers, got reviews, contacted, them and found a good one.  Picked up a prescription and dropped it off.  Picked up my machine, mask, etc.  and walked out with everything.

In all fairness, my supplement is F so I can go to any Medicare supplier.  I’m not sure if that works with an Advantage plan.  Hopefully HMO’s have some choice of DME’s.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-14-2019, 09:34 PM)SorryIamNormal Wrote:
(12-09-2019, 09:17 PM)70sSanO Wrote: I’ve always had a physical prescription in hand...
My idea when it was time to get a new machine was to have the Dr write me a physical prescription with the exact machine name and model, so the DME couldn't screw around.  Can they still do this electronically?  I know the DME is only interested in profit and nothing else.
I don’t know if they can do it electronically.  To be honest I would never trust them to do anything out of the ordinary and then let them send it off.

It is more of a hassle, but I physically pick the prescription up at the doctor’s office and physically take it to the DME.  Also make a copy of it.  I scanned mine into my pc.

Since they screwed up the centrals (mis-coded) in your sleep study, I would push the doctor to identify the specific machine, including model number (you can look them up and give it to the dr).  If the DME tries to swap a different one you have a copy of the prescription and tell them that is not the one on the prescription.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
I am under Medicare and when I got my new machine about a year ago, my doctor asked me what machine I wanted. I gave him two machines depending on whether I was staying BiPap or going CPAP. He said sounds good to me and wrote for the machine I wanted. Dispense as written, no substitutions.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 72 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Angry Former CPAP supplier over charging Bwanajohn51 2 169 03-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 624 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.