Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long does it take?
RE: How long does it take?
Don't need to post anything. I mentioned the OSCAR to doctor at Stanford. He doesn't believe it yields any value. Trying to get an idea how long it takes to get to the goal of good sleep.
(12-16-2019, 06:59 PM)Wanttosleep80 Wrote: Don't need to post anything.  I mentioned the OSCAR to doctor at Stanford.  He doesn't believe it yields any value.  Trying to get an idea how long it takes to get to the goal of good sleep.

Then just get the official software for your device.  I known Respironics has Encore and I'm guessing the other manufacturers have something similar.  Resmed has ResScan™.

This is how medicine works in the US:  Your dr's job is to

1. be the absolute infallible authority
2. Run the algorithm using evidenced based, best practice, gold standard  (trying to fit in as many buzz words as possible)
3. Never take responsibility for anything

Sleep dr's don't collaborate they dictate.  Rare is a dr who does otherwise, and probably the reason this forum exists.
few doctors will look at any data other than summary statistics. it's clear they respond with such nonsense because they haven't looked at the software. some authorities will only look at mfgr software like resscan for resmed machines, and then only for compliance documentation. despite your doctor's ignorance, oscar provides huge value by reporting the data the machine generates. if the data has no value, why does the machine produce it?
(12-16-2019, 06:59 PM)Wanttosleep80 Wrote: Don't need to post anything.  I mentioned the OSCAR to doctor at Stanford.  He doesn't believe it yields any value.  Trying to get an idea how long it takes to get to the goal of good sleep.

Then, why are you here?  Your are asking a question that can have an answer anywhere from 1 week to several months, or possibly never if prescribed the wrong machine or using pressure settings that are not optimal.  

If your not willing to fill out your profile correctly and post a screenshot of your data here, then you may possibly be in the wrong forum.  Your choice....
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

You are never going to get an answer HERE till you download OSCAR and post screenshots. Period end of story capeech???
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Given the information you’ve provided, the answer is that you could start getting good sleep tomorrow, or never, or something in between. Without anything to go on, the answer can’t be more helpful than that, I’m afraid. If you repose great confidence in your doctor, you should really pose the question to him or her.

Bad sleep is awful, and I’m sorry you won’t be providing the information that might enable people here to help you. Best of luck to you. I hope you’ll see improvement sooner rather than later.
I started last week and have the same questions...
Ednie, could you start your own thread so we can focus separately on your specific questions?

How would you like us to answer without OSCAR data? We don't even know if your therapy is set right. A random guess I suppose. OK, you can get used to CPAP therapy and expect results between 1 day and never.

Second opinion? I'll throw darts at the board and tell you later what the results were.

PS you don't need to do anything but want us to answer? Get real. Quit wasting my time.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

I am sorry you are not able to get sleep and are obviously sleep deprived.  That said, you do have a long running hate to have to use a CPAP machine.  In 2016 you despised CPAP.  Now you feel you are in prison, find it disgusting, and figure you'll take your machine back in a couple of weeks.  I'm not sure if this is an I-told-you-so moment, or there is a method to this to try and get a doctor to provide an alternative.  There is a sure fire alternative procedure that was common place before the 1980's and is still necessary in some severe cases today, you have moderate OSA, so there is no need for that, but you can look up how things were done prior to CPAP.  I do think you will find it a bit more invasive.

This is the real world.  You would probably be hard-pressed to find 10 people that actually want to hear your sleep details and can offer anything more than a "that s***ks" response.  Is it asking too much to download the stinking OSCAR software and post some charts?

Next time your phone starts freezing up or won't download, don't go onto the internet for help because there is no value there.  Go to the gold standard professionals at the Apple store and wait a few hours so they can tell you they can't fix it.

John

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 166 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 268 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Long story short chronic 5 422 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 583 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 249 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 654 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 7,095 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.