Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long for centrals/clear airways to subside after starting apap?
RE: How long for centrals/clear airways to subside after starting apap?
your fatigue might be explained by pre-cpap upper airway resistance (uars) and post-cpap pressure induced central apnea. your charts are dominated by ca, giving you an ahi worse than without cpap. I'd try fixed pressure of 9cmw (set min and max to the same value; if I recall correctly, if you set it to cpap mode, it won't report flow limitations and that's what you want to know since it's related to rdi and uars). if that settles your ca down, try epr of 1 for a few nights, increasing epr to 2 then 3 depending on what happens with your ca. epr will help reduce rdi. threading the needle between obstructive and central issues is a balancing act, finding your personal sweet spot between them. you need pressure for obstructive or restrictive issues while pressure increases ca. the other thing is that your pressure induced ca should abate after 30-90 days of papping at which point you'll want to revisit your settings all over again.
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
replying to your PM here because it might help others as well.

you wrote: "I'm a bit confused as to what your wording means. Are cpap mode and a fixed pressure of 9-9 the same thing or different? Is cpap mode a different setting that you don't want on since it won't report flow limitations?"

I think you understand correctly. either way gets you fixed pressure but (if I recall correctly) a cpap mode setting of 9 (for example) doesn't report flow limitations and an apap mode setting of min = 9 and max = 9 does (because the resmed apap's algorithm depends a great deal on flow limitations to adjust pressure within your min/max range when necessary).
  Shy   I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm other words therapeutically the same, Reporting is different (CPAP VS APAP as noted above)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV not catching onset / transitional centrals Boodmaster 14 391 03-26-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Suddenly my Centrals got a lot more disruptive tcinoz 64 1,813 03-26-2024, 07:24 AM
Last Post: tcinoz
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,405 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 88 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 372 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  Are these centrals likely to be treatment induced? thesingingchef 2 123 03-21-2024, 12:36 AM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 123 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.