Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long must I use CPAP
How long must I use CPAP
I am 83 and am on a Aircurve for the last 6 months.  I was told my insurance Medicare & Tricare for Life are paying a 13 month rental for this thing.  I certified by doing 4 hours a day for a month and continue to do the same amount of time, which I hate. My question is what happens after I complete this time frame.  I would like to put it in the garbage. Oh-jeez Oh-jeez Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How long must I use CPAP
If you want to treat your sleep apnea you need to use it for a full night every night for the rest of your life. If you don't want to treat it than why bother using it at all?

Just return it and suffer without it. I myself prefer to use it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP treatment is for life. Literally. Just like any other treatment for a chronic condition. Diabetics take insulin, folks wear glasses, and we use CPAPs.

Why don't you like it? Why only 4hrs a night? Tell us what is going on and we'll see if we can help you adjust.

The 13mos rental isn't like you give it back then. That's how long it takes to pay for it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm 55 and plan on using it the entire night for the rest of my life.

I hate/love my CPAP too.

Hate it because I have to clean it, wash my face every morning, get out of bed because I forgot to fill the tank, put it on, turn it on, can't roll around while asleep, in the middle of night i get shoved by partner because my mask is whistling. . .

Love it because I feel better in the day, I often sleep 8+ hours without a bathroom break. . .
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2018, 05:27 PM)freetime Wrote: I'm 55 and plan on using it the entire night for the rest of my life.

I hate/love my CPAP too.

Hate it because I have to clean it, wash my face every morning, get out of bed because I forgot to fill the tank, put it on, turn it on, can't roll around while asleep, in the middle of night i get shoved by partner because my mask is whistling. . .

Love it because I feel better in the day, I often sleep 8+ hours without a bathroom break. . .

I was amazed on how my first night of using my device, I didn't wake up to go at all; previously, my body was getting as bad as having to go 4 times in a night (uncommon, was more typically 1-2). I read that it would almost instantly resolve with treatment.. boy were they right.

As a starting user, I can feel your frustration at starting something as intrusive as a CPAP.  But frankly, the sleep benefit, not to mention the health benefits are worth it (at least to me...)
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2018, 05:27 PM)freetime Wrote: I'm 55 and plan on using it the entire night for the rest of my life.

I hate/love my CPAP too.

Unless I'm projecting onto others, isn't this love/hate thing with our xPAP devices quite common? I hate that I have to mask up every night to ensure I breathe throughout the night. But I love that I do breathe throughout the same night. I love even more that I'm alive to love/hate my ASV.

Sleep-well
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, I just hate to love it, but I like it instead, and that suits us both!   Wink
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2018, 06:10 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: Yeah, I just hate to love it, but I like it instead, and that suits us both!   Wink

I'd like mine better if it were an ASV by Bunn or Mr. Coffee.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2018, 06:13 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(01-06-2018, 06:10 PM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: Yeah, I just hate to love it, but I like it instead, and that suits us both!   Wink

Hmm.. the idea of pressurized coffee being blown down ones nose and airway doesn't sound as enable as sipping a freshly brewed cup in your mug .. just saying.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2018, 06:19 PM)Madcat207 Wrote:
(01-06-2018, 06:13 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:

Hmm.. the idea of pressurized coffee being blown down ones nose and airway doesn't sound as enable as sipping a freshly brewed cup in your mug .. just saying.  Eat-popcorn

I'm working out the flaws as I type. Maybe a FFM with a built-in straw to get the coffee into one's mouth. It helps keep the mouth from drying out, but it probably keeps the user awake. I just cured sleep apnea; don't go to sleep. Cool

OK FWIW my ASV script is for 99 years AKA the rest of my life. I'm 48 now, and in 99 more years at age 147, I'll still be on an ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 559 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 614 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,806 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 678 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  After a long time I'm back. Had a night again with low 80% dip oxygen level MyronH 0 448 08-05-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.