Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long must I use CPAP
RE: How long must I use CPAP
(01-06-2018, 01:17 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: If you want to treat your sleep apnea you need to use it for a full night every night for the rest of your life. If you don't want to treat it than why bother using it at all?

Just return it and suffer without it. I myself prefer to use it.

This item is being paid for by insurance.  My doctor placed me on this machine just like a prescription and I must comply with the contract.  I was not told what it even is.  My apneas at 0-5 nightly which as I read from Mayo clinic is minimal. Why should I use this if I do not feel any different.  This to me is another example medicare scam
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi enigma1944,
This is something you probably need to discuss with your doctor. We don't know enough about you to give you much advice.
I assure you it is no a scam in 99% of the case.
Do you have the results of your sleep study? Why were you put on the machine?
If your sleep apnea is mild there is a chance you may not need it. If it is more severe, you need it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-06-2018, 06:36 PM)enigma1944 Wrote:
(01-06-2018, 01:17 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: If you want to treat your sleep apnea you need to use it for a full night every night for the rest of your life. If you don't want to treat it than why bother using it at all?

Just return it and suffer without it. I myself prefer to use it.

This item is being paid for by insurance.  My doctor placed me on this machine just like a prescription and I must comply with the contract.  I was not told what it even is.  My apneas at 0-5 nightly which as I read from Mayo clinic is minimal. Why should I use this if I do not feel any different.  This to me is another example medicare scam

Is that 0-5 with or without treatment?  if it was really that low untreated, I might agree that it was superfluous in the first place.  

As it is, if you DO need it, change (or than some symptoms) wont just disappear overnight.  Your body has to heal and adapt; that's when you start to feel it. 
(01-06-2018, 06:31 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(01-06-2018, 06:19 PM)Madcat207 Wrote:
(01-06-2018, 06:13 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: I'd like mine better if it were an ASV by Bunn or Mr. Coffee.

Hmm.. the idea of pressurized coffee being blown down ones nose and airway doesn't sound as enable as sipping a freshly brewed cup in your mug .. just saying.  Eat-popcorn

I'm working out the flaws as I type. Maybe a FFM with a built-in straw to get the coffee into one's mouth. It helps keep the mouth from drying out, but it probably keeps the user awake. I just cured sleep apnea; don't go to sleep. Cool

OK FWIW my ASV script is for 99 years AKA the rest of my life. I'm 48 now, and in 99 more years at age 147, I'll still be on an ASV.

Hmm.. for the coffee addicts I know, I think a combo coffee IV machine/xPAP would be the best.  Coffee to the blood, air to the lungs, everyone happy!
Post Reply Post Reply
That is your treated AHI. Your machine is doing it's job. Your untreated apnea is higher. How high we don't know. If you have a sleep study it will tell you.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you won't use it and return it the insurance will stop paying for it. You'll save the insurance company money.

But I'd rather see you use it. If your AHI goes up to 5 with the machine than you do need it. It would be much worse without the machine.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi enigma1944,

Welcome to the Apnea Board, and my sincere apology on putting your thread off-track.

I'm now going to be quite serious about this circumstance. It certainly does not help you when the doctor didn't seem to properly teach you what the CPAP is for and why you were to be treated with it. I really hear your story in my own beginning CPAP experience. The doctor told me to use the machine every night and to see him in 3 months. I tried my best to use it, but I really could not see any benefit, nor could I get used to the high single pressure of 18 with no pressure relief. Granted, I do not know your Apnea index other than what seems like a 5 during treatment, so quite obviously, the AHI is higher untreated. I also know almost everyone else here on the site took some time to adjust to a CPAP; this is normal and expected.

If you can give some sleep study details to fill us in on what is going on, we can help you to get this CPAP to work to your advantage, and to see there is an actual value in using the device. But, it is your choice. I'm making a guess since you created this thread, you're interested in some more info and assistance. That is what we are here for. Regardless of your choice, I wish you the best possible success.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi enigma1944,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully, you will come back and tell us the problems you are having with getting used to your machine, it can take some time, but with help from people here on this forum, CPAP therapy does work very well.
I wish you good luck and hope you continue your therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Enigma1944,
I also felt worse at the beginning of using CPAP therapy and wondered if it was a medical scam. (They had left my AutoPAP machine at pressure default of 4-20, which was pretty ridiculous for good treatment.  I felt it was better to sleep without this!)  Luckily, my Sister and a good friend encouraged me to persevere.

So it is a process to get to the right treatment.  You need to be an active participant (as you've started with this forum).  Someone here explained that your body has adapted to rough night breathing, perhaps for years, and will need time to adapt to better sleep breathing. Please keep studying here.  Check out CPAP Youtube videos. Your machine and its settings, your mask, Sleepyhead software, and other parts of the sleep environment; pillows, sleep position, neck collars, etc. may all be relevant.  

Sarcastic Dave is right.  Looking forward to seeing your information and progress.   

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok thanks for all answers.  I have a full face mask and after 4 hours my throat and mouth are so dry I can't swallow. My pressure is set to 20. After 4 hours the water is almost finished. My score from myair is 50-55
Post Reply Post Reply
The reason your throat is so dry is because your sleeping with your mouth open. If you use a chin strap or a soft cervical collar it will help keep your mouth shut and help prevent dry mouth.

Also are you using a fixed pressure of 20cm? That would make it pretty tough without a reduced pressure for exhale. What kind of AirCurve 10 are you using?

If you could download sleepyhead and post a chart here you could get some very helpful advice to make your machine more comfortable.

There are links just below that will help you with sleepyhead. The best part is it's free so nothing to lose by trying it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 381 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 560 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 615 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,810 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 678 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  After a long time I'm back. Had a night again with low 80% dip oxygen level MyronH 0 448 08-05-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.