Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long should a rookie stick with a mask
How long should a rookie stick with a mask
Hello. I have been trying to use my AirFit N30i mask for two nights now and after wearing the mask for a total of 5 plus hours, I have only slept for about 2.5 hours. Night one I fell asleep and slept for approx 2.5 hours then woke up from mouth breathing. After trying to go back to sleep for 30 minutes I removed the mask and went back to sleep.

Before going to bed on night 2 I shaved to get rid of the stubble that was uncomfortable, flushed my sinuses with NeilMed, and put on a breathing strip. Then I laid in bed for an hour and was unable to go to sleep so I took the mask off so I could get to sleep. 

I do not find the mask to be uncomfortable, and I think it is on correctly because I do not hear air escaping unless I block the air vent at the front of the nose piece. I think my biggest problem with the mask is that I feel like I am not getting enough air and feel like I am not breathing as easy as I can without the mask on. I know I do breathe through my mouth occasionally when sleeping, but I do not have an issue keeping my mouth closed while trying to go to sleep. Also,  I do find it annoying that I can hear my breathing, and I can hear the machine (ResMed Airsense 10 autoset) change when I inhale and exhale. I don't know if it matters but my machine is about a foot or so from my head, and is close to level with my head.

I have ramp set for 30 minutes, and EPR is at 3 I believe. 

So how long should I continue to try the make the AirSense N30i mask work before I try another?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How long should a rookie stick with a mask
You should ask a different question such as "How do I change bad, default settings that will help my starved for air feelings?". Your lazy doctor issued default PAP therapy settings, and thinks it's just going to work itself out. In other words, you're blaming the mask but your improper settings are your problem.

Here's the things you need to do:

Get the free OSCAR report tool to view data.
Get the CPAP setup manual above.
Go to the clinician menu to set real and useful settings that lazy doc didn't give.
Do this, hold Home and Dial in for about 5 seconds to enter the clinical menu and move 4 to 6-7 to allow yourself to have air.
You also need to request your copy of the sleep study that if you're in the USA are legally allowed according to HIPAA law. Then you may post redacted detailed screenshots of this report and we can advise better with knowledge.
Also turn off Ramp, it hinders therapy and increases the chances of low air feelings.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, 4 as a starting pressure is too low for most adults, and will feel like you are trying to breathe through a straw.

Also, many find ramp to be counterproductive for the same reason, and turn it off. My wife still uses it, but it is only set slighty below her normal pressure and for the minimum time (ramps quickly). I tried it and hated it.

Btw, your machine will never go below 4, regardless of what ramp and EPR are set to.

We can't get more specific without seeing OSCAR logs. As a starting point though, raising your minimum pressure to 7 and turning off ramp is a pretty safe bet, and may help you get some sleep and collect some data to start refining your settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you SarcasticDave94 and ragtopcircus. I will turn off the ramp, and will get the sleep study info.

As for changing the pressure, is that ok to mess with without getting in trouble with the insurance company? I would hate to make changes that would result in my insurance company saying I am no longer eligible for benefits.

Also, I did download OSCAR, but I am unable to post my OSCAR info because my computer only has a micro SD slot and not a full SD card slot (my AirSense came with a full sized SD card). If I insert a BLANK micro SD card, with full SD card adapter, will the machine format the new card and start writing to it as it should?

Thanks again !
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2020, 08:34 AM)back4more Wrote: If I insert a BLANK micro SD card, with full SD card adapter, will the machine format the new card and start writing to it as it should?

Yes!  In fact, while dissecting some SD cards for another reason, I found quite a few full size SD cards use Micro SD's in them as the actual memory.  The large card has a circuit board that provides the connection.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=27713]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, a microSD card in an adapter will work fine in your machine, as long as it is no larger than 32GB. You may lose your original compliance data, but since that was only two nights, and you were under 4 hours (non-compliant), you aren’t losing much anyway.

Raising the pressure will not make you non-compliant. Your doctor or DME may tell you not to, but do it anyway. We don’t know what is right fit you yet, but we KNOW 4 is too low.

Your insurance company is looking for at least 4 hours per day of usage. If you are having trouble getting for hours a night, you can supplement that by wearing it during the day to get the hour count up. That may seem like it’s cheating, but it’s not. Using the machine during the day, while relaxing, watching TV, or whatever, is an import technique for getting used to the mask, sorting out leaks, and figuring out how to make this work. It absolutely counts!
Post Reply Post Reply
Typically insurance is only interested in compliance usage and doesn't care what settings are used or who sets them.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2020, 08:49 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote:
(10-28-2020, 08:34 AM)back4more Wrote: If I insert a BLANK micro SD card, with full SD card adapter, will the machine format the new card and start writing to it as it should?

Yes!  In fact, while dissecting some SD cards for another reason, I found quite a few full size SD cards use Micro SD's in them as the actual memory.  The large card has a circuit board that provides the connection.

Thank you Crimson Nape. Love that avatar you've got !

(10-28-2020, 08:54 AM)ragtopcircus Wrote: Yes, a microSD card in an adapter will work fine in your machine, as long as it is no larger than 32GB. You may lose your original compliance data, but since that was only two nights, and you were under 4 hours (non-compliant), you aren’t losing much anyway.

Raising the pressure will not make you non-compliant. Your doctor or DME may tell you not to, but do it anyway. We don’t know what is right fit you yet, but we KNOW 4 is too low.

Your insurance company is looking for at least 4 hours per day of usage. If you are having trouble getting for hours a night, you can supplement that by wearing it during the day to get the hour count up. That may seem like it’s cheating, but it’s not. Using the machine during the day, while relaxing, watching TV, or whatever, is an import technique for getting used to the mask, sorting out leaks, and figuring out how to make this work. It absolutely counts!

Thank you, I will switch out to my blank 32 mini SD w/ adapter.

That is a great idea about wearing the mask to get the hour count up. I will do that this evening. I will also up the pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2020, 08:57 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Typically insurance is only interested in compliance usage and doesn't care what settings are used or who sets them.

Good helpful info, thank you Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Well advised above. All the insurance company cares about is that you use the machine, in otherwords compliance.

All we care about is that you get comfortable optimized therapy and you never have to worry about compliance again because you always us your machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 561 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 617 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,818 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 678 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  After a long time I'm back. Had a night again with low 80% dip oxygen level MyronH 0 450 08-05-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.