Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long to feel positive effects of CPAP
How long to feel positive effects of CPAP
Hello,

I know that it can differ from case to case, but up to how long might it take to feel the positive effects of CPAP once you are using it regularly and with the beta settings for yourself? 
I have had my CPAP for two months but it took me a month to dial in my settings. The last month my numbers have been great but I do not feel a big difference in energy. From some research I have it done, it sounds like it can take as long as 3 months of consistent usage for people to feel the positive effects. 

Would love to hear your experiences and thoughts! Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How long to feel positive effects of CPAP
Overall it took me about 6 months by the time I had the settings and mask all sorted.

Part of the problem is I went from nasal cushions to nose mask to full face mask before I was fully comfortable with it.
Every time I changed masks I found I had to go back to square one with refining the other settings.
Oh-jeez

It can be a journey, just be patient and stick with it.. make any adjustments or changes small and only one thing at a time.
Also allow a week or so after each change to get a proper assessment of how the change is working.

Sleep-well
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
But once you found the right mask and settings, how quickly did you feel better? 

The thing is I found my optimal mask and settings but have not felt better or more energy yet.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would suggest you put up a typical night or 2 of OSCAR charts.  There are many things that might be stopping you from getting a good nights sleep.  One of the main ones are Flow Limits.  Be sure to include that graph with your nights charts.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
It took me a couple of months before I started to see some positive effects (I would sometimes wake up and have a rested feeling that I hadn't experienced in years). For me, adapting was a process, not an event.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well it's been 15 years and still waiting for the day.  Not looking too promising and I never miss a day of BPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Cpap results are up and down for me because my issues are primarily positional. A had great guidance here on this forum and have had optimal settings dialed in for a while now. I’ve been on a Cpap for 2 years and I’ve slept consistently throughout the night 7-8 hours every night. There are mornings I still wake up feeling tired and I know I must have slipped into my back or ate something that skewed my numbers.  I always know when my numbers are going to be bad before I even look. 
The feeling I have after I’ve slept well is unlike any I’ve felt…it’s a very alert, euphoric feeling when I’ve done well and then my numbers are spot on. 
For  a while I chased numbers and was advised not to do that because you’ll never be happy. If I’m between 0-3 I’m happy. It’s really how you feel that matters…If your number is 3 and you feel great IMHO it’s acceptable.
CA and OA decided to call HYOP and the 3 of them crashed RERA's place, and then the 4 of them decided to call Large Leak to meet in an Unclassified location while Rice95 had the best night of his life.

Bed         best sleep I've ever had...
Post Reply Post Reply
@Ockrocket Thanks! Will keep fighting the good fight!
@staceyburke Posted some results here! Any feedback is appreciated!
@Sleepster Appreciate you sharing your experience!
@cmpman1974 Oh geez!
@Rice95 Thanks for sharing!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I started getting results immediately. BUT, not satisfactory for months. Things got better very, very, slowly. After 6 months I thought this was as good as it gets, then I found a new mask, chin strap, pillow, cervical collar and things got even better. Finally, after 6 years of looking and a new machine, (AS 11) I can say progress has stopped. 

Now I feel my sleep is better than before sleep apnea. 
Everyone is different so don’t stop trying new things. 
It’s not all in the numbers, and/or settings.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
It took me 4 years and three types of modes/machines to find the best therapy and comfort. I sleep amazingly well with a machine running straight cpap mode (phillips) with c-flex+ enabled at 2 with pressure at 14.5cm. I tried APAP (both resmed and phillips machines), and auto-bipap. Here's a typical night with CPAP now:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/5276...6ca9_o.png
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI scores but feel like I should feel better jake79 6 176 6 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] long desaturations Mshull 4 165 04-16-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 266 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 472 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 189 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  anyone with positive apnea reduction using emf shielding over bed? Pierelly 7 325 03-21-2024, 07:50 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 516 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.