Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] jump in AHI
RE: jump in AHI
(05-16-2013, 03:34 PM)kenf Wrote: After falling back a sleep for the 2 hours where the centrals are peaking I feel like crap when I wake up. Nothing has changed except I do have a stuffy nose. Could the unit be mistaking obstructive for centrals? I do use a full facemask and have a heated humidifier. I guess if this goes on like this I need to let the sleep doc look at the data.
Medication aside, stuffy nose can affect AHI
Full face mask allows you to breathe thru your nose or mouth
Maybe you mostly breathing thru your nose, if that the case, experiment with humidity setting
Some need more than others, everyone is different

Your doctor can prescribe something for stuffy nose
I find Nelimed sinus rinse (squeeze bottle) does helps

Discuss with your sleep doctor and download ResScan as doctors not familiar with SleepyHead ... ResSan works only with windows

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I had noted my prescription was for 9 and my unit was set 8. So I set my unit to 9. Set the exhale pressure to max so I think that makes it 5. New mask and hose. After 5 hours AHI was 3.1. Bathroom break! After 8 hours AHI was at 5.1. That is much better. One night does not make a friend. So will see what the next few nights do. Hard to believe a 1 point increase would make that kind of difference especially on centrals. Again maybe it was leak that was being reported as a central. I will look at other data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2013, 08:45 AM)kenf Wrote: Again maybe it was leak that was being reported as a central.
Some people noted somehow, lowering EPR or turn off can lower AHI too

Whats the leak? Anything below 24 L/min is acceptable
An apnea during leak higher than 30 L/min, S9 cannot determine accurately whether the apnea is obstructive or central, the apnea scored as unknown apnea shown in yellow marker (ResScan)

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2013, 03:58 PM)zonk Wrote:
(05-17-2013, 08:45 AM)kenf Wrote: Again maybe it was leak that was being reported as a central.
Some people noted somehow, lowering EPR or turn off can lower AHI too

Whats the leak? Anything below 24 L/min is acceptable
An apnea during leak higher than 30 L/min, S9 cannot determine accurately whether the apnea is obstructive or central, the apnea scored as unknown apnea shown in yellow marker (ResScan)

Yes it seems like everything I did would raise centrals not lower them. But no changes in medication, new mask, new hose, and moving the setting from 8 to 9 and setting the EPR to 3 or 4, my 8 hour AHI went from 38.2 to 5.2. Will see what tonight brings. In both AHIs the software showed the majority were centrals. Go figure. Makes no sense.
Post Reply Post Reply
You know I just looked at the data. Last night you could see an apnea event and my breathing increasing after each event. The night before, while some are like that, during many of the events my breathing is flat lined through the events. No increase after an event. Can it be possible that your breathing can get shallow that it shows as a central. There care times with 3 central events an hour and the l/min never changes. That seens quite weird to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-17-2013, 06:02 PM)kenf Wrote: You know I just looked at the data. Last night you could see an apnea event and my breathing increasing after each event. The night before, while some are like that, during many of the events my breathing is flat lined through the events. No increase after an event. Can it be possible that your breathing can get shallow that it shows as a central. There care times with 3 central events an hour and the l/min never changes. That seens quite weird to me.

Should be 3 events a minute. Meaning I would only be breathing 20 seconds out of the minute? And no heavy breathing? Something is not right with that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well AHI 4.2 last night. So not sure what was going on. Pretty weird. I noticed my old hose was flattened out some so maybe flow was restricted there? Guess I will never know.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sudden AHI jump woodepgh 3 397 09-03-2023, 09:37 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  new DSX600, dramatic jump in AHI - ASV OMG! DrMike 53 4,935 01-23-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sudden jump in AHI redslug 4 673 09-28-2022, 05:45 AM
Last Post: redslug
  [Treatment] After years of successful treatment: a Big jump in AHI and drop in restfulness AtRest 28 2,448 05-10-2021, 05:02 PM
Last Post: AtRest
  Change altitude and huge AHI Jump afloatandrew 3 1,108 03-07-2020, 05:09 PM
  ResMed S9 to A10 "upgrade" - Huge jump in AHI, CA, H, OA events - battling machine SleeplessInPHX 67 7,389 03-05-2020, 12:02 PM
Last Post: SleeplessInPHX
Angry AHI jump with mask change- help tjq86 1 966 06-27-2019, 09:35 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.