Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How long to show improvement
How long to show improvement
Hi,

How long does it take to feel better with a CPAP? My mom has been using for a month and she says she doesn't feel any different. She has an auto CPAP and she has been using it faithfully every night. The mask was fitted in the office and it seems to be on correctly when she uses it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How long to show improvement
Hello amykathleen2005

Welcome to the forum
It is great to see you helping your Mom as XPAP therapy can be frustrating. People are all different, many adjust in matter of weeks and some take many months. It is really dependent on what we call comorbidities (what else ails her).

Best thing you can so for her in the beginning is keep her encouraged don't let her give up, it is defiantly worth the effort to overcome the initial difficulties adapting to the therapy.

I took me about four month to see the benefits of therapy

2004-Bon Jovi
it'll take more than a doctor to prescribe a remedy

Observations and recommendations communicated here are the perceptions of the writer and should not be misconstrued as medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
First you would need to know h what her AHI is.
She can be doing everything right on a machime thats set up entirely wrong by the doc.
She or you needs to check the read out on the mschine as to ahi etc.
And download sleepyhead software,
Yall are pretty much shootin in the dark without it.
Post Reply Post Reply
It takes as long as it does. Some people get positive results after one night, some people get no positive results for months. Each of us is different and you need to focus on committing to compliance and working with your machine - results will come.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi amykathleen2005 and welcome to the forum!

As others have said it's really difficult to give advice based on the lack of info. However it is true that it is different for everyone. Some lucky individuals get almost next day relief, whereas others take longer. There are so many factors that can influence this that without more information it is really difficult to hazard a guess.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2016, 09:52 PM)amykathleen2005 Wrote: Hi,

How long does it take to feel better with a CPAP? My mom has been using for a month and she says she doesn't feel any different. She has an auto CPAP and she has been using it faithfully every night. The mask was fitted in the office and it seems to be on correctly when she uses it.

Hi amykathleen2005,
Your mom is lucky to have you watching out for her.

It's great that she is using her auto Cpap, but there could be many reasons your mom isn't feeling better.

I suggest you download SleepyHead software and start to look at your mom's data.
We can help you upload a screenshot here and take a look.

It could be that her pressure settings are not optimal for treatment, or she could be having mask leaks.

http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

It's important to know her AHI and breakdown of that number... like obstructive events, hypopneas, clear airways, etc. SleepyHead software will show you that.

If you would fill out profile with name of mask, and the pressure range that is set, it would help us to help you. Smile
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, amykathleen2005.

Kudos for helping your mom with her therapy. All people are different. I agree with Rose. Downloading SleepyHead and posting some data will let us better help your mother with here treatment.

Best regards,
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Judging CPAP improvement jprconsulting 1 83 03-24-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 561 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Diagnosis] Do my sleep lab results show that I have uars? michelbeaini 1 235 02-13-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 616 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.