How long will the daytime sleepiness go away if I'm getting the right treatment?
player Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset For Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Resmed A10
Humidifier: Resmed A10 Autosset
CPAP Pressure: 11-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: It's a... mad world...

Sex: Male

RE: How long will the daytime sleepiness go away if I'm getting the right treatment?
There really is no other effective treatment...
06-14-2016 06:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
susilosaja Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Philips Nuance Pro Gel Frame
Humidifier: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 15; EPR 3

Other Comments:

RE: How long will the daytime sleepiness go away if I'm getting the right treatment?
To answer about the mask, this is the writing on my mask packaging : Philips Respironics Nuance Pro Gel Pillows Mask
06-14-2016 06:38 AM
kowlooner Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PR Remstar Auto 560
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleepweaver Advance, Aloha (backup)
Humidifier: Remstar
CPAP Pressure: 13

Other Comments: Started CPAP in May 2016. Should have done this 10 or 15 years ago.

I started with a Sleepweaver Advance mask (it's fabric and feels pretty comfortable - I also have a nasal pillow, but that doesn't seem as comfortable), and didn't bother with APAP - just straight CPAP at 13. Felt better the very next day. And since then, no more naps needed, and no more nearly falling asleep while standing up teaching a class. Previously was severe sleep apnea. I kind of guess as long as your mask isn't leaking, and assuming the pressure is right, you should feel the effects pretty quickly. As a newbie, just barely a month in, that's my experience.

Edit: Sorry, just read your post more carefully. Apologies. Can't really comment about the tennis ball approach, but I was sleeping on my side before doing CPAP and it didn't really help much in terms of daytime sleepiness. But maybe with only moderate sleep apnea, your experience will be better.
(This post was last modified: 06-14-2016 10:26 AM by kowlooner.)
06-14-2016 10:17 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Crimson Nape Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: P-10 / F&P Simplus / DreamWear
Humidifier: H5i w/Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 8 - EPR 3

Other Comments: CMS-50F & 50IW

susilosaja,
In a prior post you mentioned one manufacturer and listed a model number from another. To help, I have provided a link to aid in identifying your CPAP:
http://www.apneaboard.com/cpap-machine-p...ur-machine

Good Luck!

Statistics prove that people who have more birthdays live longer.
06-14-2016 10:32 AM
susilosaja Offline

Members

Other Comments:

Thanks for the input guys. After some consideration, I'm thinking of trying cpap again. Hoping to get some free trial first. I'm interested with Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.

Still not sure about a couple things :
- Should I get the ClimateLineAir tubing?
- How is it compared to S9 Autoset? The price of Airsense 10 Autoset on my local shop is around usd 1800. I haven't been able to check the price of the S9 Autoset, but if it turns out to be a couple hundreds cheaper, is it worth it to pay extra for the Airsense 10 Autoset?
06-15-2016 10:30 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
player Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed A10 Autoset For Her
Mask Make & Model: Resmed A10
Humidifier: Resmed A10 Autosset
CPAP Pressure: 11-16

Other Comments: It's a... mad world...

I have the A10. Nice machine. You should get the heated hose. Without it, you can get water in the hose which is noisy. I would get the newer machine, but I have not used the S9...

If you sleep with your mouth closed and you breath all night through your nose, you are NOT a mouth breather.
06-15-2016 01:24 PM
chill Online

Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation X500
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Walk-in Mask Closet
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 13-16

Other Comments: CPAP True Believer

At those prices, I would be tempted to order from a US supplier! Ouch! See Supplier #2 in the Supplier List (too of page) for comparative prices.

I am not sure if you need the heated hose. It depends on where in Indonesia you are and what the local climate is like. A lot of North America is cold and dry. I lived in Thailand for a number of years and I don't know if it would even be possible to add more humidity to the air! Now if you sleep in an air-conditioned room that is a different case and you will want the humidifier and heated hose.
06-15-2016 03:15 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
susilosaja Offline

Members

Other Comments:

I live in humid area, but sleep in aircon room. So heated hose it is.

I also wanted to buy from #2 supplier but the paperwork of getting it through custom is too much, with no guarantee it will get through. Plus there will be custom fees. Turns out the S9 is slightly more expensive in my local shop. So I'm getting the A10 today. Thanks again guys!
06-16-2016 12:57 AM
kwhenrykerr Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation Auto, AirSense 10 Auto
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Amara View
Humidifier: Philips, AirSense 10
CPAP Pressure: 12-20

Other Comments: 2L added oxygen with CMS50F to check usage

Do not give up. I do not like CPAP but it works. I will not lay down without it now. I keep working to learn more and make it work better. I will likely never like cpap but we are a team now.

Just my personal opinion. My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact. Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel. Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
06-16-2016 01:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Grover64 Offline

Members

Machine: RESMed Air Sense 10
Mask Make & Model: RESMed P10
Humidifier: RESMed
CPAP Pressure: 12 - 15
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Susilosja

I am in Papua New Guinea and I have the heated hose on my Air Sense 10 as I sleep in aircon as well.

Another idea you may want to try is to look at some of the ideas for suspending the hose from the ceiling. I have a hook in the ceiling above where my face would be and an elastic strap coming down for the mask. You set this to hold the hose going up so you can move around and the elastic allows a lot of movement side to side. There are quite a few pictures etc on this site that show you how to set this up. I find it really helps. I travel with this strap and hang it off pictures above the bed etc in hotels.

I have both the respironics pillows and the ResMed P10 pillows I prefer the ResMed ones but use the respironics for a break sometimes.

Personally I have been on APAP for about 5 months and in the past month I have seen a real change in my quality of life. I can exercise more am losing weight and no challenge working 12hour days. My blood pressure and resting heart rate have gone back to good figures and I feel great. There certainly wasn't a day that I woke up and had a new life it seemed to gradually get better over a few months.

Cheers Grover
07-18-2016 10:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Long time CPAP user now with a problem PrkChps 5 175 12-07-2016 09:07 PM
Last Post: PrkChps
  Does long term humidifier use affect lungs? Russatrice 11 463 12-06-2016 06:27 PM
Last Post: eseedhouse
  xpap treatment for pulmonary arterial hypertension- right ventricular dysfunction 0rangebear 0 123 11-12-2016 06:10 PM
Last Post: 0rangebear
  Two Long Weeks EnigmaGrey 20 930 10-12-2016 12:39 PM
Last Post: EnigmaGrey
  Sleep Apnea No Treatment for Child keela1979 21 1,081 10-06-2016 05:09 AM
Last Post: archangle
  Just Diagnosed - Starting Treatment SleepySleeps 30 1,258 09-12-2016 03:14 PM
Last Post: SleepySleeps
  How long until changes in blood tests or medications? NorthernGuy 11 773 09-04-2016 07:46 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait