Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How many CA for ASV
RE: How many CA for ASV
I think your medical history might make for a good conversation with your doctor in conjunction with the periodic breathing and CA issues. Not much doubt in my mind that ASV would be an effective tool in eliminating this. I seem to recall that physicians in AU have more liberty in prescribing an appropriate therapy, so it is not so much a matter of doing battle with insurance companies as it is persuading your physician that the problem is real, and is most effectively treated by ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Sleeprider, that is good to know, I had fully taking on board Gideon info, to change Pressure from 5.6-7.6 to a fixed 7, and then woke up this morning feeling quite good, know has been very good sleep, automatically checked AHI , was brilliant H: 0.14, O:0.28 & wait for it CA:1.2 total AHI 1.55   and Total Events = only 11 Events (H=1, O=2 & CA=8) on 7.7hr Sleep and excited.

But then also realised, I actually hadn't changed pressure before going sleep? when I was so primed and keen test it out. So now bit happily puzzled, but giving that forgot  change settings from 5.6-7.6 to the Fixed 7, Hm is that then a good omen ?

Also thanks Gideon on your assistance and keen to implement, but given to above for moment hold on settings changes, wil monitor wait see, if will continues ! those numbers or how long will last?  as is only on just one night, but surely does must be a reason for instant great Number's or otherwise is it  the "APAP" God " ?  Either way best to Identify what of if  the Trigger is for the reasoning doing it or what is not causing it ?  the What, Why, When & How?
Post Reply Post Reply
Central Apnea is consistent in the way it presents itself. The character that Central Apnea most often presents itself is that it is inconsistent. To best describe this we describe Central Apnea as being consistently inconsistent. By this we mean that you can expect your CA numbers to bounce around a lot. Do not be surprised is you see considerable CA events tonight.

The "fixed" at 7. Is an attempt to minimize the flushing of CO2 from your body and as such avoid the low CO2 induced Central Apnea you have demonstrated in this thread.

Expect more consistently inconsistent Central Apnea
Post Reply Post Reply
Iceman, in my previous post I did not mention the pressure settings or other suggestions by Gideon. That is simply because I understand what he is doing to optimize CPAP as much as possible, and completely agree with the approach and I work the same way. There are aspects of your head injury and medical issues that make you more susceptible to central apnea, even though we don't fully understand the mechanisms that injury and a-fib seem to have this issue in some people. I think any diagnosis will be idiopathic, but as Gideon suggests above, your success in mitigating CA will be consistently inconsistent with CPAP and will be an absolute lock with ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well said SleepRider.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again, Sleeprider,  Gideon and my apologies, as unintentionally presenting or quoting out of context, only intended as only gratefulness and acknowledging of strategies awareness of  various considerations / options, yes was certainly not advice  " was more my bad wording as misthought or other".

I previously given consideration of fixed pressure strategies, as more, fine tuning pressure Settings as considerations, on the possibly re auto changing pressure, if may be a possible CA trigger?  While did in contradiction to my earlier post, intention initial to sit on present pressure but last night, I opted to trial for  most minimal change to massage Max pressure smallest by .02 from 7.6 to 7.4 monitor a few days, re-assess signs of CA's improvement or detrimental to O or H's ? Before I continue strategy  any further massaging, and or increase Min pressure ? to Auto pressure with intention very slowly reducing to close pressure, swing gap's for in trial of optional fixed pressure and if is efficiently viable.

Previous Pressure Settings 5.6 to 7.6
Massaged to Last Night as 5.6 to 7.4

O=    .15
H=    .44
CA= 1.89 
AHI  2.47 

95% Pressure = 7.24

I can think of two additional strategies that you might want to consider. The more conventional one is to use fixed CPAP pressure. You appear to do pretty well at a pressure of 7.0, but could try bracketing that to see what works best. Using fixed CPAP pressure rather than variable Autoset pressure often helps people to stabilize the airway and avoid some of the CA events.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ps, Sleeprider,  Bit embarrassingly to clarify to ask !  what mean in saying    "is absolute lock with ASV." 
Post Reply Post Reply
I can attempt to clarify on this:
"is absolute lock with ASV."

ASV, Adaptive Servo Ventilator, it is a specialized BPAP that has backup rate for breathing, and was designed specifically to combat Central Apnea, it's almost a guarantee that person with CA on this machine will be treated successful.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Dave said, I could make a good living betting that a person with your sleep disordered breathing profile would have less than 2-AHI consistently on ASV, and if I wanted to make it interesting could spot you to less than 1-AHI. In other words, I am very confident you would have extremely low events on ASV, but the changes in pressure can be disruptive until you adapt and get used to it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks , Dave / Sleeprider
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.