Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How many CA's are acceptable
How many CA's are acceptable
[attachment=12137]This seems to be my new normal. I have virtually eliminated all Obstructive apneas, and reduced my Hypopneas and RERA's to almost nothing. I am feel I am getting enough sleep even though I do wake up 3 or 4 times a night. I don't get up or remove the mask, just wake up. 

What I have learned from this forum is that CA's tend to disappear (unless there is other problems). 
Having said that, I am aware of wake/asleep junk, positional clusters and pressure related CA's. I feel that my CA's might fall in this category, however, I still wonder. 

How many CA's can be considered normal and not correctable?
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How many CA's are acceptable
if you've been using cpap since 2016 as your profile suggests, centrals are not likely to be treatment induced. any and all events are concerning to me in my treatment, at least until I am confident I am no longer feeling the ill effects of apnea, but I suspect the system would say if your central apnea index is 5+, it should raise an eyebrow. looks like yours are nothing to worry about. watch for a while to see if they get worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
Honestly, it will vary.  

Medicare gives this:

• Titrate to minimize OSA, that is the obstructive AHI to less than 5 per hour. This typically is raising EPAP or pressure until obstructive AHI is less than 5 per hour, we expect this to make the Central and Complex Apnea worse thus failing the current treatment

• Record the central apnea-central hypopnea index (CAHI) (looking for greater than or equal to 5 per hour and greater than 50% of total AHI)
Different people respond differently, what are the associated desats (not measured by your CPAP machine, how sensitive you are.
The goal is to either optimize your therapy with your current machine (balance your Obstructive apnea with your central apnea in a manner that best optimizes your therapy) or to qualify you to get a machine that manages central apnea (ASV).

That said we always watch central events but typically ignore values 2 and under CAI.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sometimes end up with a higher CA event rate of 2.5, and the next day it will be 0.5. Sometimes I'm not even aware that a night was higher than normal for events. I think if your AHI is under 3.0 it's fine. If you mange to keep it under 1, that's impressive. Everyone's a little different, and all we can do is try to solve any problems, especially with obstructive events. Don't worry about the abnormal night that has higher than usual events, focus on the normal night that you sleep better.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Tidal Volume Acceptable Range trance 12 3,373 03-02-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What is an "acceptable" Large Leak percent? BlueSky1958 21 1,580 12-04-2023, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 20 1,181 11-30-2023, 01:48 PM
Last Post: paulag1955
  Acceptable Large Leak Percentage? kenhh 15 4,936 10-10-2023, 12:04 PM
Last Post: ejbpesca
  Acceptable Leak Rate Columbiabill 7 891 10-07-2023, 08:18 PM
Last Post: barney999
  What is an acceptable leak rate? Mysti 10 5,790 09-01-2023, 05:25 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
  "acceptable" level for flow limitations? hegel 8 1,358 08-03-2021, 05:07 PM
Last Post: hegel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.