Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How many hours of life in a machine?
For instance a ResMed S9 Autoset which I have been offered used.
Looked at a video of this equipment and I believe I can see the machine hours from the extended menus.
Is there an effective lifetime for the machine (or any machine) in hours of use before total (or uneconomic repair) failure?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Over 15,000 hours for a 5-year lifetime, but nearly twice that is not unusual. I have run machines up to 20k hours, but changed due to the technology and data available on newer models.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have about 20,000 hours on mine. No intention of changing it until it dies.
Post Reply Post Reply

According to the repair guy, the machines are designed to last 15,000 hours. The Resmed and Respironics have a less than 5% failure rate before that (excluding dropping or water damage), but a much higher failure rate shortly after 20,000 hours. The failure may simply require new seals and not the motor at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for the input. Makes me feel better about the one I am being offered.

I'm covered for 500 bucks on insurance over 5 years (equipment and accessories combined) so I figured I can use that for accessories and get a used machine each time I need to
Post Reply Post Reply
Odd, I did a further reply but its not here.

I am covered for 500 bucks on insurance for equipment/accessories over 5 years, so i figure to get a decent used machine and then use the insurance for the mask/tubes etc
Post Reply Post Reply

I can't stress enough how many machines are on Craig's List. Brand new less than 200 hour machines. People with insurance got them free, then "they just can't use them", or "they just can't adapt", whatever. Machines selling at $300 and less for brand new units. Set search to look for dumb names like "breathing machine", "ventilator", "sleep machine" as well as the standard CPAP, APAP, etc. CL never disappoints. 2 years ago when I started I got mine with 100 hours on it for $250.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I came across an old Sunshine Horizon with 39,174 hrs. It's a
little loud but still works. But I sure wouldn't use it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Waking up after 2 hours of CPAP radioboy104 4 167 08-19-2017, 08:55 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 28 17,235 08-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Waking every 2 -3 hours Judy1843 9 410 07-16-2017, 11:12 AM
Last Post: chill
  Apnea and life insurance Spaaarkz 10 479 06-08-2017, 11:07 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  [CPAP] Using VPAP During Waking Hours for Easier Breathing? gamegrrl 5 304 06-06-2017, 03:06 PM
Last Post: dmeRT
  Pin from power plug stuck in machine ResMed cpap machine B10576 11 638 06-05-2017, 09:04 PM
Last Post: CB91710
  [CPAP] Reset usage hours Kathy Oreardon 14 659 05-18-2017, 09:19 AM
Last Post: Kathy Oreardon