Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How many of us use an apap
How many of us use an apap
I am not asking what type machine we should have but as a rule how many people diagnosed with sleep apnia
get an apap.   This is not a question about how many should get an apap but in the real world about how many
will be given an apap rather than a cpap.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How many of us use an apap
I got a APAP, was prescribed a CPAP, and find that my best results are using it in the CPAP mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
APAP, very bad experience with my first CPAP machine, which was a Puritan GoodKnight CPAP set to an incorrect pressure (by the clinic) to 15 ... I swear I had air coming out of every hole in my body in the morning. I think that ASV is the way to go if you can afford it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Personally, I think it can depend on the DME.

My sleep dr/dme automatically gives the cheapest one, so by default I got a CPAP.

I found a different DME who automatically gives APAPs as their default, so that's what I got despite being prescribed a fixed pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Had a home study so they had to give me an APAP in order to find the "sweet spot". Now that I have a better handle on "My" pressure requirements I am slowly working my to a very narrow range if not setting the min and max to the same pressure.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2017, 03:33 PM)E.W. Wrote: I am not asking what type machine we should have but as a rule how many people diagnosed with sleep apnia
get an apap.   This is not a question about how many should get an apap but in the real world about how many

as few as possible if the insurance and DMEs get their way

they dont care about effectiveness or comfort only their profit
Post Reply Post Reply
I have airsense a10. So far good results. 1 per hr now.
Post Reply Post Reply
I received a CPAP at 18. It was pretty annoying when I started. I was advised here APAP or BiPAP would help me better. According to Dr couldn't get anything other than a CPAP unless I failed compliance on a CPAP. It wasn't worth the fight for the price I got my BiPAP so I just bought it and called it a day.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2017, 03:33 PM)E.W. Wrote: I am not asking what type machine we should have but as a rule how many people diagnosed with sleep apnia

DMEs max their revenue
insurance mins their expense

they dont hand them out if they can give you something cheaper 
so the answer is as few people as possible

the problem is we all change all the time
roll onto your side or back and the pressure needs change
get congested from pollen or perfume and you need more pressure

every machine should be auto
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think there is any way to really know this as it completely depends on the doctor/clinic prescribing the machine and the DME fulfilling the machine.  Based on local Craigslist postings for used machines, I'd say 30-40% are auto machines.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 432 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,421 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,150 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 588 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.