Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How many of us use an apap
RE: How many of us use an apap
I was on APAP from the first doctor, second doctor handed me the script pad and said to write my own. He was upfront about not understanding how to write it up for the insurance approval. This forum was my guide.

I started with a CPAP and then on to APAP the last two machines.

I do not like any of them but they sure do work well. With the help of this forum I am so much better.

Thanks to all of you.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello all! This is my first post here and actually my first post ever on a board site so please don't rip into me after reading the following. 

About 10 years ago I did a sleep study and was informed I have "moderate" sleep apnea. Although at the time I did not want a bulky machine after all I was 21 and had better things to worry about.

Well fast forward 11 years and here I am 32 years old and ready to give up. I work out, I eat healthy my stats are pretty much by the book yet I literally feel like the life has been drained from me. My girlfriend thinks I die multiple times a night when I stop breathing. I work about 55 hours a week but drag through it . 

So this story can go on but I figure now I'll get to the point. I can't afford to get professional help. I have health insurance but I can't afford to use it. I know.. I know.. but rent takes priority. 

At my breaking point I have purchased a resmed s9 as I was told this was a good unit because of the auto pressure range however when I go into the clinician menu and click on the cpap setting nothing happens when I rotate the knob. Please if anyone knows why it will not switch to apap please help me. I have it set to 10 on cpap pressure as I figured that's a good place to start. Also please feel free to let me know thoughts on that as well. 

Tonight will be night 1

Thank you so much.
Post Reply Post Reply
What does your machine say above the start/stop button? When you open the clinicians menu the first thing you see at the top of the menu is "mode". In order to change the mode you must tap the knob twice and then twisting the knob will change it. Once you have changed it click the knob once again to get back to the menu then you can select the pressure ranges depending on whether you have an autoset or a VPAP auto. If an autoset, you will need to set the min and max pressures that you want the machine to use. I would suggest that the min be a little below your CPAP setting and the max could be 20 for now.

If your machine is a VPAP auto You will need to set the min EPAP and max IPAP and PS (pressure support). I would set the min EPAP the same as the min in the above paragraph. If you set the max IPAP at 20 that would be fine for now. Set the PS at 3 or 4 to start. PS=3 will be about the same as setting EPR=3 in the CPAP mode or for any of the non-bilevel machines.

Let us know how you do.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow that was faster than I expected! 

Well thank you for your help. 

On top of the start stop button it says escape. 

When I tap on the mode it highlights orange but when I twist nithjng changes. 

When I do the same with the "set pressure" menu below once highlighted orange I can make adjustments.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your questions about the model answered my question.

Now to find my comfortable Cpap setting shall be a journey.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum and to the hose head club.

First you would get more replies if you had started a new thread with a heading like "Newbie needs help with settings".

Next you need to tell us the exact model number from the label on the bottom of the blower unit.

You can also find the clinician manual for most units on this site.

It has been a while since I had an S9 but I think you have to press down on the knob once have highlighted a setting in order to change that setting.
I am not sure what options are available on your machine without the exact model number.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2017, 05:04 PM)DavidHildy Wrote: When I tap on the mode it highlights orange but when I twist nithjng changes. 

When I do the same with the "set pressure" menu below once highlighted orange I can make adjustments.

Press the knob the first time to activate the scroll function in the current displayed menu group. After scrolling down to the option you wish to change, you will press the knob again to enter the edit mode. Rotating the knob will then adjust that option. When you're finished editing, press the knob to accept the change and return to the scroll state.

I hope this may help.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm well thank you very much. I will have to create a new post.

Not sure where to find exact model info what I do know is it's a resmed s9 Escape. I believe the reason I can't adjust the mode is because it's just a CPAP unit and not a Apap as I had thought. Either way for me it's a score. 

I found some calculations that based on weight, height, necksize and BMI that I should start at a setting of 6 and move up from there as apnea episodes and comfort dictate.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2017, 06:27 PM)DavidHildy Wrote: Hmm well thank you very much. I will have to create a new post.

Not sure where to find exact model info what I do know is it's a resmed s9 Escape. I believe the reason I can't adjust the mode is because it's just a CPAP unit and not a Apap as I had thought. Either way for me it's a score. 

I found some calculations that based on weight, height, necksize and BMI that I should start at a setting of 6 and move up from there as apnea episodes and comfort dictate.

I do not know of any reliable predicter of where you should start your pressure. I would start at 8 and lets see how it goes from there. I do not remember how much data can be read from the display for that machine but there is no data to be downloaded by Sleepyhead or ResScan but we will need every bit of information that you can find on the machine for apnea events and leaks. We especially need to know if you are getting any Central Apneas (CAs). Tell your girlfriend that we will need her help in the form of observations. What would really help if you could manage it is if you could rent an auto machine like the Resmed s9 autoset for a week or so. We could use it to determine the static pressure to use for your Escape or if you could buy an autoset outright new or used. Supplier #2 sells gently used machines and open box machines. The link to the supplier list is at the top of every page. You could also try Craig's List. Let us know how you want to proceed.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I must say I'm grateful for your feedback. I was kinda under the impression that I would be ridiculed for not following the "rules" and seeing a doctor before deciding on CPAP treatment. I was a little nervous about going at it alone but considering how miserable I decided it to be a no brainer. 

So I decided to go with a 9 last night. Unfortunately I took the mask off at around midnight and didn't put it back on until about 4am. So we have a total use of 6 hours last night at a pressure of 9..... WOW, ok so not a OMG "moment" when I woke up but little by little I can tell you i notice a difference in my thoughts, clarity, energy ect.. Now the worst of my Apnea is between 1-3 AM and I kinda remember waking up around midnight either having a dream about suffocating or actually feeling suffocation and ripped my mask off.. Whats really weird about that is if it was a dream it would be my first dream I've had in 10 years. 

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you asking for more information and actual concern. I know my Escape uses a SD card which I did insert yesterday. I wonder what kind of information that card has on it?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 364 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 562 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,411 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.