Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: How many tries took to find the right mask?
This poll is closed.
One
28.21%
11 28.21%
Two
17.95%
7 17.95%
Three
12.82%
5 12.82%
Four
12.82%
5 12.82%
Five
5.13%
2 5.13%
Six
2.56%
1 2.56%
More than six
20.51%
8 20.51%
Total 39 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How many tries took to find the right mask?
How many tries took to find the right mask?
For some might be their first mask while others might took few tries to find the right mask wearing all night every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How many tries took to find the right mask?
Took me about 3 tries... first was a dumb gel mask that they gave me (useless) and next was the Ultra Mirage nasal mask (which I still use occasionally), and then I found my current Mirage Swift nasal pillows (later updated to Mirage Swift II) that I currently use [see my review of the Mirage Swift here].

Very infrequently, I'll use an Ultra Mirage Full Face Mask (FFM) if I'm completely stuffed up and unable to breathe from my nose-holes. Tongue

It takes a while to find the right mask and it can make ALL the difference in the world as to whether or not you'll continue with CPAP therapy, I think.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
It took 5 tries (ResMed masks)
3 FFM
Quattro: Overall was OK but very bulk and uncomfortable.
Quattro FX: First few days were fine (beginners luck) but kept riding up my nose.
Mirage Liberty: Tried once, couldn't get both pillows to fit and didn't like the air directed up the nose.

2 Nasal masks
SoftGel: It was OK but felt a bit heavy but seal good.
Activa LT: Lighter than the SoftGel and very comfortable with good seal.

Recently tried a couple of nasal masks:
Mirage FX and Mirage Micro both didn't work for me.

Okay Activa LT is the best mask worked for me and don,t think gonna find a better one.

Post Reply Post Reply
I admit that I voted for only 1 mask because I've only slept with one for the entire night. During my first sleep study I was given several different masks to try for 10 minutes each. That first night I wasn't put on a CPAP machine. When I came back for the tritation, I also tried several different masks, but only slept with one. At the DME office I tried on 5 different masks. All but one leaked. It was the same one that I slept with during the tritation study. My insurance will pay for a new mask in 5 weeks. I'm going to go back to the DME and ask to try several of the masks that are highly recommended here. I like my current one but I don't have enough experience with other ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
In 10 years of CPAP therapy I've used about 5 or 6 different masks. Two of the masks had pillows and the rest were nasal masks. I didn't have a problem with any of them. The only reason that I changed masks was that every couple of years the Sleep Tech would tell me to try a new mask that was the best mask ever. I would try the mask and make the switch to the new mask because it was the best mask I ever tried. I guess I'm an easy sell.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
over the 12 mostly non-compliant years or so i've tried countless nasal, full face and in between masks. i'm not sure i've found the right one yet.
my wife just got a new quattro fx that nearly fits me and i like it. i think that will be my next one in a month or so.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Bump2
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't vote because "ignorance is supposedly bliss" and I started with the one that they gave me and wore it for about a year.. It was as I became more knowlegable about different CPAP equipment and masks, that I changed to different models of mask along my 7 year history. I suppose I have used about 5 masks in all. I don;t consider them as "tries" , but as upgrades over the last one I used. I have used the one in my signature the longest and it is quite comfortable and leak proof for me..

So back up to the top I go and will vote for 1.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
It took me four tries:
1) Swift FX - Very comfortable but I had mouth leaks. Tried chin strap and mouth guard but neither worked. No desire to tape.
2) Mirage Liberty - Since I had mouth leaks, I figured I'd try the FFM route and started with the least instrusive which was the Liberty. I liked it, but I could not consistently get a good seal on the nasal pillows. They would start leaking after awhile and wake me up during the night.
3) Quattro FX - Next least instrusive FFM since it just covers the nose and mouth, without any forehead support bar. Very low leak rates. Good AHI results. Very comfortable.
4) Mirage Quattro - Intrigued by a survey I saw on another CPAP forum asking which was better, the Quattro FX of the Mirage Quattro. Votes were evenly split, so I looked for and found a good deal for a Mirage Quattro on Craigslist. I actually get a very good seal with it, but the shape of the mask and cushion at the bridge of the nose seems to be more narrow and I wake up in the morning with redness and soreness on the bridge of my nose.
I sold my Swift FX and still have the other 3. And my current mask of choice is the Quattro FX. So I actually went through 4 masks, but the winner was the 3rd one I tried. I added a Padacheek liner to it which makes it slightly more comfortable against the skin without adding much in the way of leaks. Many people seem to have a hard time eliminating leaks with this mask, but it's been an excellent fit for me.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I voted for 3 times because I'm on my 3rd mask type, but honestly the first mask worked for me. I switched to nasal pillows so I could itch my nose without lifting up the mask. During my last Dr visit he showed me the latest nasal pillow mask that a rep had dropped off so I gave that a try and currently use it, if I had to I could go back to the original mask. I will continue to look at new mask designs and try them when appropriate.

The poll probably ought to have asked how many tries to find the 1st mask to be tolerated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 205 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 450 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Hard time to find the right mask labrat 42 2,223 02-14-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: labrat
Question OSCAR: Cheyne Stokes listed in event summary list but can't find a single event eyeloveeyez 5 332 02-12-2024, 09:03 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Was sick for a while and didn't use my PAP machine for about two weeks. Now I find my JonZ333 1 335 01-16-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Will lofta help me find the right pressures? Swsch2985 6 461 12-30-2023, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Swsch2985
  [CPAP] Hoping to find a fix for my CPAP's decision to start blasting me while inhaling. Speusippus 1 460 08-14-2023, 07:41 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.