Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How much REM minimum is needed on a sleep study?
How much REM minimum is needed on a sleep study?
How much REM minimum is needed on a sleep study for a solid assessment? Would two hours be enough?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How much REM minimum is needed on a sleep study?
(11-28-2015, 01:45 PM)napnaptime Wrote: How much REM minimum is needed on a sleep study for a solid assessment? Would two hours be enough?
2 hours plenty, but in my opinion its "neither here or there' since you've an AutoSet
The AutoSet mode adjust pressure to suit your personal breathing needs throughout the night
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't need two hours of REM. You don't need any REM. You need two hours of sleep.

Sleep apnea can interfere with REM sleep to the point where the person doesn't even get any significant REM phase sleep. We've seen this on some sleep study reports. One can have a valid sleep study and never have entered REM during the study.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me it is weird, I am on CPAP over a year, it has helped but I am still extremely tired and my memory and spatial ability is actually declining.
Post Reply Post Reply
[align=justify]
(11-28-2015, 02:24 PM)napnaptime Wrote: For me it is weird, I am on CPAP over a year, it has helped but I am still extremely tired and my memory and spatial ability is actually declining.

Please do not take this question wrong, but are you taking any medications? I ask because I have had several Rx and OTC medications that really messed up my sleep and it would take weeks to figure out the evil doer. One pain medication for example, totally wrecked my REM sleep slowly over a 6 week period. It was only with the use of the now unavailable Zero Sleep Coach that I was able to track that one down. No REM sleep will turn a person into a zombie. Watch out for any medication, even any that would seem to be the most unlikely.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2015, 02:24 PM)napnaptime Wrote: For me it is weird, I am on CPAP over a year, it has helped but I am still extremely tired and my memory and spatial ability is actually declining.

You need to consider whether you have another health issue that has not been identified. In my case, I knew going in that I have a slow heart rate, but that would never have been diagnosed had I not been hospitalized for an animal bite. My heart rate drops to 42, but only when I'm laying down. That's just one example of what could be awry that CPAP doesn't cure.
Post Reply Post Reply
No I am not on any medication at all, I have not been in a long time. I have had full bloods, EKG, EEG, MRIs, psychological evaluations, neurological evaluations and nothing, my doctors are getting extremely concerned for me at this stage. The only thing I can think of is that something was missed on my sleep study because I only slept for two hours, I can't even remember what I was doing a few hours ago, they have tested my memory and it is showing some really bizarre faults yet everything else shows perfect health.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm so new around here that I don't even have my machine yet, but I do have some thoughts that are unrelated to sleep apnea. Have they considered alzheimers/dementia? I only ask because they might not have if you're young, as it's still widely considered an "old person" illness. Fatigue and memory problems and decline of mental acuity are all symptoms. The only way for doctors to diagnose it is by process of elimination, since those are also symptoms for a lot of other things too. So unless at any point they considered that dementia was a possibility, there's not any one factor that has doctors go "aha! dementia!"

But I hope with all that concern, they are looking at getting you in for another sleep study, to check for something that may have been missed. If your doctors are sure it's not another sleep disorder. I've heard of ambulatory EEGs before, expensive I'm sure. It's the whole EEG set up, but in mobile form so you can go about your normal routine. They use it for people with epilepsy, or suspected epilespy, if they're having seizures often but doctors aren't able to trigger one in a hospital to monitor what's happening to your brain during one. The whole EEG setup isn't really easy to sleep with anywhere, but if it's too difficult to sleep in a sleep lab environment being able to at least sleep at home might help. And then neurologically they'll get a better picture of what's happening when you're asleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2015, 01:45 PM)napnaptime Wrote: How much REM minimum is needed on a sleep study for a solid assessment? Would two hours be enough?

You might not get any REM in a sleep study.

It's just data on "how you are" not "how good you could get".

Once you get everything under control, you should start getting REM sleep again, but I have no idea how you would figure out how much you're getting, at home.

Post Reply Post Reply

All that really matters is "You're still tired" That's a completely valid medical complaint that your CPAP doc should be happy to look in to.

He can schedule another study so they can watch you while you sleep *with* your machine, and see what's going on.

Just because you're breathing doesn't mean everything is OK.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 248 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 79 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 535 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 194 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,529 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 149 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.