Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How much improvement / variation
How much improvement / variation
I've had 5 nights on my new (first) machine and I am sleeping so much better and feel results already.

I have been studiously surveying my sleepyhead report and I noticed that the first 3 nights, my AHI was 0.8 average. However, the Mirage FX mask was strapped on tightly and I had sore nostrils in the morning. Leaks were moderately low (95% was somewhere around 9).

I loosened the mask the last two nights (based on a post I read here) and bumped up my pressure from 12 to 13. Believe it or not, my leaks actually went down, BUT my AHI shot up to 2.4 over the last two nights.

Questions: should I be concerned that my AHI has risen? Is it normal to see variations that large from night to night, or should I strap my mask down tightly again?

Is AHI 2.4 worrisome? Should I be striving to achieve the lowest score possible all the time, or is 2.4 "acceptable" (my diagnosed AHI was 88!)

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How much improvement/variation
chezdan9, the goal is to get as low as possible but anything under 5 is good, the normal person stops breathing between 0-5 times per hour. If the straps were too tight I would leave them as they are. Your AHI will vary from night to night, there are so many things that can effect it, from temperature to meds as every night is a different night, good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
what Tez62 said. I would watch your data for 2 weeks and see what it shows. Your AHI, as Tez62 said, is within the normal range. I would look, just for your peace of mind, to see what types of apnea you had, were the events during a leak, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't correlate leaks and apnea events, me50. I'll take a closer look at the data. Most of the events were either OAs or Hypopneas. I think I had one CA during the night. Thanks for the tips.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi chezdan9,
Over tightening your mask can cause problems for you so try not to tighten it too much. If you find that your nostriles are getting soar from your pillows, you might consider getting some HPA Lanolin, (found in the baby isle at most stores,) and put a "LITTLE" bit on a Q-Tip and swav the inside of your nostriles with it and that should help with the soarness and "could" give you a better seal.
and oh by the way, WELCOME! to the forum.!
Sounds like you are off to a good start with your CPAP therapy, that's good to hear.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-11-2013, 02:23 PM)chezdan9 Wrote: I've had 5 nights on my new (first) machine and I am sleeping so much better and feel results already.

That's awesome. Congratulations.

High pressure causes an increase in the CA index, so see if that's what happened.

As long as your leak rate is under control, loosening the straps won't affect your AHI.

There really is no significant difference between an AHI of 0.8 and 2.4. Don't worry about it. And yes, it is normal for it to vary that much.

Do not change your pressure settings again. You need to establish a baseline of data, and you can't do that if you change the pressure.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What Sleepster said
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Judging CPAP improvement jprconsulting 1 84 03-24-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Pressure Variation with Time Heaviside 2 187 02-11-2024, 02:41 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Grin New CPAP User, looking for improvement help babysleep 8 472 01-24-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  eXciteOSA See Any Improvement? (with images) bergerj 6 1,677 01-21-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: jrolli1509
  some improvement but still having symptoms her.suit 1 246 01-04-2024, 12:15 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  First OSCAR data - lots of leaks and hardly any improvement :-( p123 8 691 10-10-2023, 03:48 AM
Last Post: p123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.