Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How much noise is usual in a Resmed S9?
Question 
How much noise is usual in a Resmed S9?
(Apologies to anyone who saw my posts on this in a couple of other threads: I'm getting desperate)

If you have (or had) an S9, can you please share your experience regarding the amount of noise it makes?

I've been using the machine for a year. After failing to get used to CPAP on 2 previous occasions (the last was 8 years ago), this time I persevered and succeeded. One of the reasons for success: the machine was much quieter than the old ones that I used, which used to keep my wife awake with their noise. My wife said she couldn't even hear when the new S9 was working.

A couple of months ago I added the humidifier and changed my mask to a p30i.

All was fine till a couple of weeks ago when my wife said that noise from the machine was waking her up. (In addition to waking her up when the mask shifts and the whooshing sound comes out of it.) I started paying notice to the amount of noise from the machine (I never bothered before because in any case I get some noise from the mask), and indeed I can hear the fan when I inhale or exhale. The stronger the inhale/exhale, the more sound from the fan. Not a whine. Just like a ventilator.

I took the machine in to the distributor's lab -- they said the machine was fine, that you hear the sound of the fans from all machines, that the S9 is the most quiet machine that they know, that I should try using it without the humidifier and see whether that makes a difference!

So now I don't know whether the machine has started making more noise than it used to - or whether we have become more sensitive to the noise. (Maybe this is another side effect from being under COVID-19 stress for 9 months....)

Can you please tell me what level of noise to expect?

Thanks!!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How much noise is usual in a Resmed S9?
I didn't see where you stated whether you tested it without the humidifier. It could be a bad humidifier seal. I'm a bit surprised, S9's have been out of manufacture for about 6-years (2014). Most should be hitting their run-hour limit. What is your machine's time?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep it low so bed will take most of the noise and if possible in a drawer of your dresser. My wife is a light sleeper also and I found a way to keep the peace so to speak. Less chance of rainout also if the machine is lower IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a side table with drawers, and keep the machine inside with the tube and power fed through a 2-inch diameter hole in the back. The drawer is shut at night and no sound. Zero, zip nada. If you have the space for a bedside table, you can just upgrade to one with drawers.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2020, 09:49 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: I didn't see where you stated whether you tested it without the humidifier.  It could be a bad humidifier seal.   I'm a bit surprised, S9's have been out of manufacture for about 6-years (2014).   Most should be hitting their run-hour limit.  What is your machine's time?

Someone who deals in CPAP equipment looked at the label and said the machine was manufactured in 2019. Could be Resmed is selling it in specific countries. Or someone bought a large stock of them. Whatever. In any case, my insurance pays part of the price once in 5 years so I'll be using it for the foreseeable future.
When you talk about "run-hour limit", what are you referring to, and where would I see it?

Regarding the humidifier: I tried without it, didn't seem to make a noticeable difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
(12-02-2020, 11:51 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I use a side table with drawers, and keep the machine inside with the tube and power fed through a 2-inch diameter hole in the back.  The drawer is shut at night and no sound. Zero, zip nada.  If you have the space for a bedside table, you can just upgrade to one with drawers.

Sounds like a great idea. I'll try putting it in the drawer - after I've removed all the stuff that I haven't used for years  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Update: the s9 spent the night in the drawer. My wife couldn't hear it. Problem solved. 
Thanks all for saving my marriage ! ?
Now I need to find someone to make a nice hole in the side of the table.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just used a 2-inch hole saw and drilled through the back.  I will warn  you that putting the hole through the side may prevent the drawer from sliding when the tube and power are routed through.  By putting the hole in the back of the cabinet (and in the drawer itself if needed), the tubing will slide with the drawer and remain completely concealed during the day.   Here is my setup. Note the tube runs to the rear at the top of the drawer. My tube is attached by a lanyard to the headboard to keep it from dragging on my face.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-03-2020, 08:53 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I just used a 2-inch hole saw and drilled through the back.  I will warn  you that putting the hole through the side may prevent the drawer from sliding when the tube and power are routed through.  By putting the hole in the back of the cabinet (and in the drawer itself if needed), the tubing will slide with the drawer and remain completely concealed during the day.   Here is my setup. Note the tube runs to the rear at the top of the drawer.  My tube is attached by a lanyard to the headboard to keep it from dragging on my face.

Oh my - thanks for saving me from ruining the cabinet by drilling a whole in the side!  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
And after looking at your setup, I now understand that I hear noise from the air blowing through the frame of the p30i mask on the sides of my face. I imagine that your mask (which one is it?) is even quieter than mine.... I might consider trying it but after all the time that it took me to get used to the one that I have,...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,295 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 147 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,604 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 360 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 596 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 Noise tblaster 4 345 01-15-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.