Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How much obstructive apnea time?
How much obstructive apnea time?
My AHI its in near 6 using Remstar APAP Dont-know
I dont know very much about the sleephead results.
But if a look at the obstructive apnea time I see more than 10 secs. with obstructive apnea (without breath) with my APAP working? Huh

It´s normal or APAP doesn´t work well.

Thank you very much.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How much obstructive apnea time?
Hi Dela. Welcome to the forum. All apneas last at least 10 seconds by definition. Anything shorter is considered insignificant. Your AHI is 6, and that's just above the acceptable level of 5, so that's not too bad, especially if you're new to CPAP therapy.

What is your 95% pressure level? Your maximum and average pressure levels?

What was your untreated AHI during your sleep study?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Obstructive Apnea time 15 sec - 20 sec.
pressure setting: min 10,5 max 16
min 8,5 to start the ramp

Last night:
Average Pressure

Min Pressure

Max Pressure

90% Pressure

How can I check the APAP? it should be respond with a over pressure?
I can see this overpressure in the graph. If i try a apnea to check if it work (during to day) no overpressure neither.

(12-08-2014, 08:46 AM)Sleepster Wrote: Hi Dela. Welcome to the forum. All apneas last at least 10 seconds by definition. Anything shorter is considered insignificant. Your AHI is 6, and that's just above the acceptable level of 5, so that's not too bad, especially if you're new to CPAP therapy.

What is your 95% pressure level? Your maximum and average pressure levels?

What was your untreated AHI during your sleep study?

Post Reply Post Reply
I am also a new patient and new to sleepyhead. I believe your machine is acting well. I was told the important thing is control of oxygen. My observation is that I have different sleep with and without APAP (my prescript 4-20) 95% pressure about 7.
First chart is from oximeter during a night where 2 hrs on APAP, 4 hours off, and 2 hrs on. There is a distinct difference in those periods. Note the slight gap in the traces at 23:45 and wider gap at 4:00. The middle area is me when sleeping off the machine.

Next chart shows a strip of APAP - where my oximeter says I stayed above 90% oxygen. My opinion is that the machine worked and I am safe, but look at all those blips. (the AHI for that night was 9.46)

First chart tells me - stay on your machine.
I am getting great sleep and dreaming heavily. As for all the blips, I think my body just need a little time to recoup 5 yrs of loss sleep and establish a better sleep pattern.

Good luck!
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dela,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It's normal.

You can still have apneas even when your CPAP/APAP is working perfectly.

A CPAP machine creates air pressure in your throat to "encourage" your airway to stay open. It doesn't force your airway open the way a breathing tube would.

You might think you could just increase the pressure until it works, but there are several problems with that. More pressure is uncomfortable, tends to cause leaks, and can even cause what's called central apnea. Because of this, we tend to use the lowest pressure that works. We have to trade off a number of factors to get the best compromise in terms of low AHI vs. other problems.

APAP machines will increase the pressure within limits if you still have apneas, but they only increase the pressure slowly, and then the pressure will drop back down if you don't have apneas.

If necessary, your machine can be adjusted further in several ways, such as increasing your minimum pressure.

Are you using some language other than English on SleepyHead? I'm wondering why it says "AO" instead of "OA".

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2014, 11:59 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: Next chart shows a strip of APAP - where my oximeter says I stayed above 90% oxygen. My opinion is that the machine worked and I am safe, but look at all those blips. (the AHI for that night was 9.46)

Your data shows you have some central apnea. That's one of the reasons you don't simply increase the pressure to fix AHI because increased pressure may make central apnea worse instead of better.

Don't panic about it, especially if you're new to CPAP, but if it continues or gets worse, you might need too see about a more complicated machines such as an ASV machine.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you are confusing terms.

APAP is autoPAP, as in the type of machine you have.

AHI is the numbers reached to determine the average number of events during the sleep period.

And yes, there will be events longer than 10 seconds. For one, it takes that long for the event to register as an event. Then the machine has to react. Then it has to slowly introduce pressure to either stop the event or to prevent the next one. This all takes time, well, seconds. You don't want the machine to shoot the pressure up to your max setting every time you have an event. It isn't necessary. Usually all that is needed is a tiny amount anyway.

Keep watching your data. Watch the graphs, compare them. See what is normal for you. You won't have an exact number, you'll have a range of numbers. No two nights are the same so the data won't be the same either. You are looking for trends.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1127]

I assume the number in bracket is the duration of event in seconds
1 apnea 7 seconds
2 apnea 8 seconds each
1 apnea 9 seconds

How come SH flagging an apnea less than 10 seconds

I would not worry about data for at least the first 3 months
Getting the mask right and some decent sleep is more important
In time everything fall in place and start make some sense like pieces of jigsaw puzzle

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2014, 10:05 AM)dela Wrote: How can I check the APAP? it should be respond with a over pressure?

It is responding. It starts at a pressure of 8.5 and it raises it as needed. Half the time your pressure is at or below 10.59. 90% of the time it's at or below 11.50. It occasionally goes up as high as 12.50. It never gets anywhere near the cap of 17, which means it's doing it's doing its job.

How long have you been using a CPAP machine?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 53 762 50 minutes ago
Last Post: jcp519
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 113 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 256 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 293 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,910 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 753 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 117 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.