Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How often do you need to replace masks or pillows?
How often do you need to replace masks or pillows?
This is a question for all you longer-term PAP users. I am a relative newbie, nearly 2 months on PAP, and I pay for all my equipment myself. I do that because I can afford it, and after investigating the health insurance/medicare/DME quagmire I decided the aggravation was not worth it. That said I don't want to waste money either.

I know most insurance allows for mask changes, updates, consumables at certain intervals, and i wondered what everyone thought about how often one should change theirs, especially if it is entirely out-of-pocket.

For example, I use a both F&P Simplus and ResMed P10, changing when i feel like it. How often would you replace the cushions on the P10, or the face portion on the Simplus? I clean them daily, which does help with leaks.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How often do you need to replace masks or pillows?
As far as I am concerned with my full face mask (I do have a Simplus too) I use mine until my leak rate shows an upward trend that is not changed by cleaning or new cushions. As far as the frame for the Simplus, I don't see why one could not use it until it breaks. Replacing the housing along with the cushions should keep down any potential bacterial build-up except for the elbow and the anti-asphyxiation valve.

I do not have a feel for the P10 although some folks use them for extended periods before replacement. A lot of it is dependent on your sensitivity to pathogens both perceived and actual.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The cushion of my full-face mask snaps in and out. I change it about every 2 months.
The mask frame, I'll go about a year on. The headgear, I get about 6 months out of.

I think nasal pillows should be changed more often.

I was getting 100% of my supplies through insurance; but, I now get only the more expensive items from them.
Like filters, I just buy them online.

Keep in mind that US law makes a mask a prescription item. Why? Who knows?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I replace my pillows every 2-3 years not so much because they aren't working anymore but just because it seems like they never wear out so maybe I should anyway. Big Grin
Maybe mine last so long because I hardly ever clean them. Huh

The mask itself, I've used the same one for 10 years. It goes on camping trips with me, into the suitcase on other trips, and it seems to be fine, though I've stockpiled a couple of extras just in case. But it's an Optilife, so there's not much there that could break or wear out.

The one thing that DOES wear out for me is the stretchy straps. They definitely wear out. I replace them probably every other year.
Post Reply Post Reply
This sounds like a man after my own preferences. 10 years on a mask, Wow!!!

Tacoma Droner,

I do have a question. Your profile says that you use an auto ASV machine with a CPAP Pressure of 9-18. Is 9-18 your min and max EPAP? What are your other pressure settings? Just my curiosity.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
With my last mask, a DeVilbiss Aloha, I replaced the pillows at first every two months. But then I noticed no difference between the new pillows and the old. So I increased the periodicity a little at a time. I eventually settled on replacing them once every 6 months, but I'm pretty sure I could have stretched that out to once every year.

BTW, that's with cleaning the pillows once a week. The rest of the time I just hung the mask up to dry during the day.

It's too early to tell how often I'll be replacing the pillows on the new mask. But I will say that the ResMed pillows seem a bit stouter than the DeVilbiss ones.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-21-2015, 12:59 PM)justMongo Wrote: The cushion of my full-face mask snaps in and out. I change it about every 2 months.
The mask frame, I'll go about a year on. The headgear, I get about 6 months out of.

I think nasal pillows should be changed more often.

I was getting 100% of my supplies through insurance; but, I now get only the more expensive items from them.
Like filters, I just buy them online.

Keep in mind that US law makes a mask a prescription item. Why? Who knows?

Masks may be a prescription item, but there are numerous online retailers where you can buy them without one, including Amazon.

I've never been asked for my prescription for a mask, and I've bought plenty.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to replace the cushion more often, but cannot be that generous any more since Australian dollar took a dive and lost some 30% of value against US dollar. Last time replaced the cushion was on 6th of June, 5+ months is not bad but not ready to retire it yet, leak in a single digit
Post Reply Post Reply
The frame of a simplus is fine forever unless it breaks.
Cushion should last six months, mine did when it was my full time mask.
Head gear on any mask is the weak link for me. Velcro gets weak in around 4 mos.
Post Reply Post Reply
Because my insurance covers it, I replace the mask every three months. The water tank is as needed (although I have two unopened ones that were covered). I buy my filters online and replace them as needed, which is a little more than normal as I have 2 cats and live in AZ.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 86 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 246 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.