Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How often do you need to replace masks or pillows?
RE: How often do you need to replace masks or pillows?
My insurance covers them so I have the vendor ship according to the manufacturer's and insurance schedule. This means cushions once a month, mask every three months, straps every six months.

Reality is that the cushions get replaced every three months when the silicone becomes opaque-cloudy instead of transparent. One mask had a failure of the plastic fitting that the hose attaches to...part of the plastic swivel flange broke off after about nine months. Otherwise I use the mask indefinitely. The straps get replaced after a year because the elastic fabric starts to fray, but the new ones take some time to take a "set" and loosen during the night over the first three weeks to a month, then becoming stable. The hose is an issue. The rubber end piece that slides onto the mask fitting loosens after a couple of months and most need replacement by the time the new one shows up because it slips off the mask fitting too easily.

I wash the mask and cushions daily, the hose and straps once a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all for the replies. It seems like there is no consensus about when to replace these items, so I will just do it when they begin to show deterioration or the leak numbers go up.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once or twice a year. On condition - so long as the mask is sealing it is good. With the MIirage FX nasal mask, the frame goes on a long long time. Nasal cup/cushion is a consumable at six months to a year. Headgear? Meh. Throw it in the washing machine with a load of socks every month or two. i have a couple that I rotate occasionally.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
My brother used the same mask for over 2 years. He only needed new cushions. The headgear is still fine. I think it depends on the type of mask as to how long it will last.

I have had my Airfit P10 since June. I can't breathe out of it now because the CO2 release holes appear to be clogged. I've received several suggestions on fixing that and will be trying them today. For my Wisp, the first set of pillows, which were too large, worked fine for a month. Switched to a smaller size. That set lasted all of 3 weeks before one side collapsed. I have since tried the boiled water method (2.5 minutes per side) and they are working fine again for 2 nights so far.

No need to replace unless stuff doesn't fit and you are getting more leaks. Try refreshing by washing in hot water (or in the case of pillows or cushion, boiling for 5 minutes. Look carefully for any cracks. Those will cause irritation and are a reason to toss.

The schedule means that you CAN get new, not that you NEED to get new. For instance, most of us use distilled water and many have never replaced their humidifier tanks. Yet you can get one after 6 months paid for by Medicare. This is great for the person who has broken their tank or uses tap water (although you can go more than a year even using tap water before the accumulation of minerals is a problem). However, as I found with my own family member, if they can get it free, they get them and get them and get them...

Don't forget that the companies market to that as well, which is irritating. They imply there is a medical need to replace these things so often. There isn't unless they are leaking or irritating your skin.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2015, 11:00 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote: My brother used the same mask for over 2 years. He only needed new cushions. The headgear is still fine. I think it depends on the type of mask as to how long it will last.

I have had my Airfit P10 since June. I can't breathe out of it now because the CO2 release holes appear to be clogged. I've received several suggestions on fixing that and will be trying them today. For my Wisp, the first set of pillows, which were too large, worked fine for a month. Switched to a smaller size. That set lasted all of 3 weeks before one side collapsed. I have since tried the boiled water method (2.5 minutes per side) and they are working fine again for 2 nights so far.

No need to replace unless stuff doesn't fit and you are getting more leaks. Try refreshing by washing in hot water (or in the case of pillows or cushion, boiling for 5 minutes. Look carefully for any cracks. Those will cause irritation and are a reason to toss.

You can boil a P10 assembly to clean it for 5 minutes? Wow. I'd be so nervous about doing that without a backup one at the ready for that night.

I'm 1.5 years on my P10. After a year, I thought I'd better order a new pillow for it. I really couldn't tell them apart, except for a newer silicone smell and a slightly stiffer pillow on the new one. I do a gentle washing with soap every night.

I think we're supposed to brush those tiny holes with a toothbrush every night (if you watch the video). However, I've never done that but now I'm worried about clogged pin holes so maybe I'll do that brushing.

Did you say you got other cleaning tips on the P10? If outside of this thread, please post them.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-24-2015, 09:05 PM)WakeUpTime Wrote: You can boil a P10 assembly to clean it for 5 minutes? Wow. I'd be so nervous about doing that without a backup one at the ready for that night. . . . .

I think we're supposed to brush those tiny holes with a toothbrush every night (if you watch the video). However, I've never done that but now I'm worried about clogged pin holes so maybe I'll do that brushing.

Did you say you got other cleaning tips on the P10? If outside of this thread, please post them.

I would have tossed it, so it was worth the risk. Still working fine.

I tried the toothbrush method and that didn't work. Those dental jet devices worked for someone, so I'll give that a try. I was using Palmolive originally on this and that may be the reason why i'm having trouble now.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 83 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,763 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 389 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 344 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 396 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 933 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 245 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.