Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How often does the DME check on you after they get all their Data
RE: How often does the DME check on you after they get all their Data
My DME only showed a intrest in me till he had the data that the insurance company needed to pay the payments as they rented the machine for several weeks then paid there 80% but I can call him and he will see me if needed but is always in a hurry, well I had septoplasty turbinate reduction and was off the resmed for a week ,when i went to see the Dr.after the surgery he ask what it was set on (was not my sleep Dr)it was set on 7 and he said it may need to be lower but it may take a week to 10 days before it needed to be lower as i still had swelling, he ask if i new how to change it to auto,I told him I did so he said put it on 4-20 well the thing went all way up to about 11 that was over two weeks ago and it still around 11.2 but i sleep ok and feel ok so auto is working for me the AHI is .01 to .06 and i still dont know why its runing around 11.Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2012, 05:47 PM)lonnieb Wrote: and i still dont know why its runing around 11.Dont-know
The thing to remember is the 95% percentile is the pressure you have been at and BELOW for 95% of the time. It could be just for short time the machine was running at 11 and you can check out at the ResScan pressure graph
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2012, 03:41 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(08-09-2012, 02:42 PM)mikael26288 Wrote: Ever since about the second or third week of her using her CPAP machine she has not been getting good sleep. It is not because of her oxygen intake, they tested her twice with a Oximeter.

I would suggest she make an appointment with her doctor. Often it's the CPAP therapy itself that keeps us awake. Until we get used to it.

Here's what my fear would be. Let's say I switch to a APAP for three weeks and I'm still having problems. I go to my doctor and he wonders how I'd be doing if I'd have just followed his directions and stayed on the prescribed CPAP therapy.

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't make changes after only three weeks without first consulting my doctor. The way it works with my doctor is he wants the DME as a go-between. I send my DME my data and express my concerns to him. He then prepares a report, sends it to my doctor, and gets back with me about changes in the prescription, or to tell me I need to schedule an appointment with the doctor.

I guess I've been relatively lucky in that my experiences with my DME and doctor have not been negative. They are not as good as they could be, but they're not as bad as some of the horror stories I've heard on the forums.

She has been on a CPAP since March 20, 2012. It seemed to work well for her for only about two to three weeks. she could get up early and be refreshed from her sleep.

She seems to sleep good at night, but now she is still very tired like she was before she started using it.

I don't know when she has to see the Doctor again, but I see him next mouth, maybe I can talk to him about her also. We have the same Sleep Doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2012, 06:20 PM)mikael26288 Wrote: She has been on a CPAP since March 20, 2012. It seemed to work well for her for only about two to three weeks. she could get up early and be refreshed from her sleep.

She seems to sleep good at night, but now she is still very tired like she was before she started using it.

Well, you might want to take JudgeMental's advice and try out the auto.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2012, 05:47 PM)lonnieb Wrote: I told him I did so he said put it on 4-20 well the thing went all way up to about 11 that was over two weeks ago and it still around 11.2 but i sleep ok and feel ok so auto is working for me the AHI is .01 to .06 and i still dont know why its runing around 11.

It could be that that's the pressure it takes to clear your apneas. Maybe when you roll over on you back the pressure goes up. Like Zonk said, look at the data and see what's going on.

It sounds me like everything is working right for you!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-09-2012, 01:47 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I've never had insurance nor DME request data. My first machine, an S7, did not have a card. My S9 only records compliance (because I was an idiot).

Hi Paula, fellow idiot here, got the same machine as you and asked here why I don't see all the fantastic data using rescan. Trying to find out now if my DME will allow me to trade up to the S9 Autoset (non-escape), will probably have to pay the difference out of pocket though.

The other two "missing" features sound pretty nice too, automatic on/off by breathing into mask and the "mask-fit" program. I'm just not totally sure I want to spend 100 bux on those things... the data however is priceless IMO since I am a bit of a tinkerer and like to play doctor even at my advanced age.Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm still a newbie, 4 day old plastic breather. But, I admitted to my DME that I had tweaked the pressure up a bit from 4-7, up to 5-8... he said "that is fine, it's an autoset", he is pretty knowledgeable but said that a lot of sleep docs don't quite understand how the autos work yet.

I felt that I wasn't getting enough air on 4 and wanted it to be able to go a bit higher if it needed to... once I finish compliance I'll probably set it from 5 to infinity (blow me up!)

Sleepster, I am wondering how you conquered aerophagia? I got it pretty bad the first night and only had the mask on for a short time. I used an extra pillow the next night and the symphony in my tummy seems to have quieted a bit, but still pretty burpy in the morning... not to be too gross but if I could burp it all out without the rest of my stomach wanting to follow it wouldn't be too big a deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Aerophagis tends to fade with time, as do most of the things that bother us when we're new to CPAP. I slept on my side with my chin tucked against my chest. Not comfortable, but better than the pain of aerophagia. My doctor switched me to a BiPAP, which helped some, but as I said it finally went away on its own. I think I still have it sometimes, as I have my especially gassy days sometimes, but I don't have the pain I had before, so I can put up with it now.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
Gross 
Glad it went away for ya,Smile I've read some tips... mostly say to use prevacid for a couple months, sleep semi-inclined, and no food 4 hours before bed. But there doesn't seem to be any major problems associated with it and so far I've only had two moments of abdominal pain that may be from it or something else, not sure.

Encouraging to hear that the obstacles get lower as time goes on. I had the tough decision of waiting for my nose to heal or continuing treatment with a band aid and Gecko jelly pad in between. I went ahead and gave it a shot last night... made it 4.5 hours before ripping mask off AGAIN (AHI 5.6). I had been so eager to get the machine, it took months to get the study, go to doc, get the script, etc. Was first diagnosed late March and am only now starting. Now, even though Jeffy's guide says to become intimate with my mask, I just want to make the mask intimate with the rear wheels of my Chevy or some other suitable demise (I have been plotting).

Thanks Sleepster, wish you well. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Mikael--I agree with the idea of your letting your wife use your APAP for a couple of weeks, set to the pressure range suggested by Judgemental. Then, you and your wife will have a good idea of whether a slight change in pressure is what she needs. If that turns out to be the case, you can take those results to your sleep doc at your next appt. so he/she will feel in the loop concerning her therapy. My sleep doc had no problem accepting the results of testing when I first began using an Autoset loaner, even though the Autoset's results showed quite a different pressure needed compared to my recent sleep study's conclusion.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for wrist oximeter to check O2 storywizard 0 90 03-13-2024, 05:29 PM
Last Post: storywizard
  How can I check if my ClimateAir actually heats up? NoddingHacker 1 174 02-06-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,412 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee
Question 24 years old, Central Sleep Apnea only. Check out my OSCAR data? FL00D 4 1,029 10-02-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [CPAP] CPAP starts and runs like it's doing a leak check after getting a new mask ironballsmcginty 1 399 09-28-2023, 05:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Using a CPAP to check sleep apnea Pierrec83 2 399 09-09-2023, 01:34 AM
Last Post: jwest
Wink Check these numbers out! Daveman 2 517 06-08-2023, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Daveman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.