Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How often replace AirFit P10 nasal pillow
RE: How often replace AirFit P10 nasal pillow
I think I read somewhere not to use alcohol to clean them. Silicone is probably used because it is soft, but the downside is that it is not very durable. The same applies to the one-foot hose attached to the mask. I found that Amazon sells a package of 62 alcohol-free cotton CPAP wipes for $9.90 ($.16 each) or 400 baby wipes for $11.87 ($.03 each). But the baby wipes contain a scent and a blend of seed oils; I don't know what those do to silicone.

I did my first night on CPAP last night, and the only problem was the P10 pillows. They were really irritating my nose. Maybe I just did not have it adjusted right. I do not remember this discomfort during my titration study, which used the same model and size of mask.

I found that if you move both parts of the headband down to the back of your head, it tightens the mask against your face, but if you move the upper strap to the top of your head as shown in the pictures, it is slightly looser. The DME technician said that some people with smaller heads have to take a tuck in the middle of the rear strap, secured with a few stitches, to tighten them. If they made the strap out of something more durable, with a velcro closure like the back of a baseball cap, you could adjust them just right. But then they couldn't sell you a new one every once in a while.

I did find this article on why and how to clean a CPAP mask. It lists what to use and what not to use.
Post Reply Post Reply
The straps with a velcro connection have the disadvantage of producing headaches when you lay on the velcro area. My older Swift LT mask has those. I always wake with a nasty headache.

If they put the velcro off on the left or the right side, I suspect all you side sleepers would complain in the same way. (I have to sleep on my back, or I get fierce neck cramps.) So, while velcro *is* nice for adjustability, the straps on the P10 are velcro-less and softer for other reasons.

For nose irritation with the nasal pillows: "Lansinoh" (brand name for a lanolin product) which others have mentioned proves helpful to me. It lessens the abrasions, while at the same time making sort of a seal. And it is NOT petroleum based, so it doesn't bother the plastic.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2016, 08:24 AM)Sn00zeAlarm Wrote: I think I read somewhere not to use alcohol to clean them. Silicone is probably used because it is soft, but the downside is that it is not very durable.
I don't know where the old wives tale about alcohol came from, but silicone is non-reactive to isopropyl alcohol, and not degraded, but may discolor, with ethyl alcohol. there are many chemical reference sites on the internet with this information. for instance:
http://partners.coleparmer.com/techinfo/chemcomp.asp
(pick silicone on the left and 'all' on the right, then submit)

I've used a squirt of hand sanitizer and a facial tissue for *years* with my cushions, and other than getting cloudy, they still work great, low leaks, etc.

(04-26-2016, 08:24 AM)Sn00zeAlarm Wrote: I did my first night on CPAP last night, and the only problem was the P10 pillows. They were really irritating my nose. Maybe I just did not have it adjusted right. I do not remember this discomfort during my titration study, which used the same model and size of mask.
I second the recommendation for lansinoh lanolin, just a TINY dab around the nostrils, makes 'em feel much better... the only problem I had with it, is that now I've got about 99% of the tube left, I only needed it for a week or two when first starting to use the p10.
Post Reply Post Reply
Lansinoh arrived today so I will try that. I also figured out that I need to shave just before bed time - hair growing out on my upper lip against the mask were a large part of the discomfort!
Post Reply Post Reply
Just wanted to follow up.

So I've always had nasal breathing issues. Prior to CPAP, I had to get some surgeries to be able to breathe through my nose for CPAP. I had to fix a deviated septum and reduce my posterior turbinates.

After a couple days of new nasal pillow, I always had trouble breathing through left nostril. (That's the side the deviated septum was on.) I started using Breathe Right strips and those seem to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to throw in my 2 cents worth. A lot of talk about size, and longevity. My DME thought I should have a "small" so the first night my nose got irritated. To get relief, the second night I tried the medium. Far more comfortable and no irritation. Last week I tried the large just for kicks. Guess what? Best fit yet. No leaks and more comfortable than ever. I wonder if this will also affect longevity?
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to throw in my 2 cents worth. A lot of talk about size, and longevity. My DME thought I should have a "small" so the first night my nose got irritated. To get relief, the second night I tried the medium. Far more comfortable and no irritation. Last week I tried the large just for kicks. Guess what? Best fit yet. No leaks and more comfortable than ever. I wonder if this will also affect longevity?
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I use XS. I tried S one night and I'm pretty sure it was worse. I'm a very petite person, so XS makes sense -- if anything, XS is too big. Sad

Those of you who can use them for months are lucky. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I have 3 sets of nasal pillows. Two new ones and one... get ready... that's two years old! It's the one I love the most! I just wash it with regular hand soap each day. The biggest difference, and the reason that I still love it the most, is that it is SPONGY and not as SPRINGY. The old set compresses against the nostrils very easily and that gives me great comfort. With the new ones, there seems to be more pressure on the nostril. For me, it's like wearing an old pair of blue jeans, instead of new ones.

I keep buying new complete P10 sets from time to time, but it's mainly for the other two components.

It's extremely difficult to tell them all apart. The discoloration is very slight. My only method is compressing the pillows. Again, the old ones are spongy and easy to compress. Love them.

My size is M which is just right.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2016, 12:53 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: For nose irritation with the nasal pillows: "Lansinoh" (brand name for a lanolin product) which others have mentioned proves helpful to me. It lessens the abrasions, while at the same time making sort of a seal. And it is NOT petroleum based, so it doesn't bother the plastic.

If you can't find this at the store, check the baby area where the breastfeeding materials are. Even Walmart carries it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 47 3,025 4 minutes ago
Last Post: yankees123
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 83 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,561 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,970 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,858 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.