Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How often to replace tubing
How often to replace tubing
The general recommendation of manufacturers is that tubing should be replaced every three months. They say there are micro-tears that cannot be seen that would affect the effectiveness of treatment. Three months seem a bit frequent. How would you know if the tubing is getting worn if damage is at the micro-level? I'm having delivery delays in my part of the world due to lockdowns and I wonder how long I could keep using a tube safely? Any advice would be appreciated. 
BobbieM
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How often to replace tubing
Use the force (i.e. Oscar), Luke.

If your data sees no change that could be attributed to "micro-tears" (whatever that means), keep using that hose. Mine is currently two years old. I had my old S9 for around six years and only replaced the (heated) hose once - when I damaged it.

The term 'micro tears' suggest tiny faults in the hose material. Even if that's a real possibility (which I doubt considering what an easy life the average hose has) any resultant leaks would be immaterial compared with the leaks most of us experience due to mask seals.

I think that advice can be translated as follows: "Buy more stuff from us."
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-23-2022, 04:28 AM)StevesSp Wrote: I think that advice can be translated as follows: "Buy more stuff from us."

Yes, indeed, that is the best translation! In the U.S., the replacement frequency stated is usually the maximum that Medicare will allow -- not the frequency that the patient needs.

Hoses typically last for years. A hose cover helps protect the hose from cats and general wear and tear.

'Micro tears" would have the same effect as "pinhole leaks." They are in fact very small and hard to see (but you can usually feel the air leaking out).

I've seen very small tears in the tubing where the coil in the hose flexes. The CPAP machine can compensate for those tears as their volume is usually just 1 or 2 lpm. I recently talked with someone who was seeing a steady 5 lpm leak rate. While she could not find the leaks, replacing the hose eliminated that steady leak. The leak was not affecting therapy and was only visible in OSCAR reports.

Bottom line is that I keep using a hose until I see a steady background leak reported or other obvious damage.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
My insurance ships new heated tubing if requested every 3-months. I have never had problems with tubing lasting for years, and had acquired a surplus tube. I finally just quit asking for more tubing. I do use a Snuggle Skins fleece cover which probably protects tubing against abrasion, but I can't imagine the need for 3-month replacements.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much guys. The reason I ask is that on and off for the past month or so, I have been seeing the red frown face on my VAuto. I changed my cushions and even switched from prongs to nasal cushions. I'm very good about washing the tubes and mask. But for the past week I've had nothing but the red mask leak face. I've also started getting headaches and I feel that even with the machine going, I am not getting much air even though the pressure is now consistently at 13-14 compared with my previous 10-12.  The AHI has also crept up. All the problems I had with with my old Philips machine is coming back. So I thought it might be the hose. It looks in good condition and when I wash it, no water leaks out. What am I doing wrong?
Post Reply Post Reply
Double check the outlet gasket from the humidifier to the tube. You can turn on the machine and check for air-leaks using a light smoke to see any blowing air (light a match or small paper). If you have any doubts about the tubing, it is a good idea to have at least one known good standby. By swapping out the tube you can see if results remain consistent or if a change occurs.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Will try that tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to let you all know that the problem was me not fitting hose back properly on the machine after cleaning. I gave it a proper shove this and the leak problem is gone. Thanks everyone for helping.
Post Reply Post Reply
_ Hi,
_ good discussions and ideas to check eventual leaks....
_ my tube/hose has now some 2.5 years.... I monitored leaks all this time, every day, and never see significant changes. Changes in leaks has to do with the cush itself and its positioning shifts due to many reasons...

good luck

Post Reply Post Reply
BobbieM, glad to hear the problem was easily solved.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 83 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 606 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 245 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 355 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 755 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Oxyair tubing for Resmed AS11? CactusJack2 2 392 12-25-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: CactusJack2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.