How often will insurance replace machine?
Homerec130 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips/Resperonics BiPAP auto SV Advanced System One (950P)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quatro FX
Humidifier: Philips Respironics System 1
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: But it is a dry heat.

Sex: Male

RE: How often will insurance replace machine?
I was on my first machine for a year when my doctor requested second sleep series (We were going to go from a nasal to full face mask.) As a result of the second study, I got a new machine. I think part of it was the company that supported the first machine filed for liquidation. So, my original machine is sitting in it's case in the closet. Insurance company hasn't asked for it, nor am I going to tell them. My current company sends me a resupply reminder every three months and I get a new mask and suspension system, hose, and filters. I get a replacement tank every 6 months. I keep the most recent set of "old" equipment as spares and then get rid of them when the new one comes in.

05-13-2013 02:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
OMyMyOHellYes Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics 560 Auto
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage FX
Humidifier: Respironics System One (no heated hose)
CPAP Pressure: 08.0-15.0 cm/H2O
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: How often will insurance replace machine?
(04-20-2013 10:06 AM)johns019 Wrote:  Thank you!
I started thinking if 8 hrs / night x 365 day about 2900 hrs / year - how long is it good for?
5 years sounds like a pretty good life expectancy for my machine.
Who knows what will have happened with insurance by then Wink

My original machine was a Resmed S8 Elite - had used it about a year (IIRC) when it got replaced in a recall about 6-7 years ago. Earlier this year the replacement machine started making a slight noise in the blower on morning cool-down. Used every night (except for four nights when I went to Vegas and forgot to take it) - it had almost 17,000 hours on it. Wow. Incredible longevity for a machine whose maintenance consisted entirely of occasional filter replacements.

Not dead, but when it started making new and unusual noises, I worried about bearings/parts failing, leaving me with no replacement. Did a new sleep study and private insurance didn't blink at the recommendation for a new APAP. When the DME folks called telling me they had gotten the insurance referral, I told them I wanted the S9 AutoSet. They said "Cool. No problema."

Wonderful machine. Was keeping the S8 as a backup and maybe travel machine. Thinking more and more about it, and reading here about used machines, started watching CL to see what I could see. Lots of folks offering overpriced machines at near new prices ("But it's $2,500 retail. $1,000 is a STEAL!!!!" Yeah......) Many more reasonable but still more than I was willing to part with for a backup. Talked to a couple of folks and then BAM! a couple weeks ago a DeVillbiss Intellipap AutoAdjust w/HH popped up. 12.2 total hourmeter time. Non-smoking. Less than $140! Score!

Great backup and travel machine. May swap out/rotate to extend the useful life of both. Small wad of dollars to acquire.

So, yeah. Probably five year on insurance replacement, but the peace of mind that comes with a backup combined with the convenience of a dedicated travel machine in a bag with everything ready to head out the door was worth it.

PS - Why is there no smiley with a CPAP mask? Thinking-about
05-19-2013 06:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Angry INSURANCE RECORDS: DO YOU REALLY WANT TO KNOW? srlevine1 2 207 10-13-2016 07:01 PM
Last Post: DariaVader
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 2 4,687 10-12-2016 11:37 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  [CPAP] Time to replace wifes machine 420benz 6 328 10-04-2016 10:58 AM
Last Post: 420benz
  Insurance won't pay for power cord? CharlotteYork 5 428 09-17-2016 07:27 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Insurance woes: Who has my "compliance" and "post pap" documentation? luminous 8 1,165 08-15-2016 12:09 AM
Last Post: SaldusMiegas
  How often replace AirFit P10 nasal pillow hmucha 51 4,606 08-09-2016 07:39 PM
Last Post: hmucha
  ASV and Insurance Question rozenbob 15 596 08-06-2016 08:43 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing