Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How often will insurance replace machine?
How often will insurance replace machine?
I did do a search first, but couldn't find my answer - sorry in advance if this is a dead horse.

I just got to use my machine again last night after a few days without it (due to a bloody nose) and I started wondering about what would it be like if my machine died.
Does anyone know how long a life to expect from the machine and how often most insurance will go for it?
When I got my machine last June, my insurance company said there was no $ limit on DME, but I have a $250 deductible each year.The company that did my sleep study and provided the equipment has gone out of business (Sleep Health Centers). Fortunately they contacted me just before they went out and said I was eligible for a new mask,hose,filters and water tank, so I have replaced them.
Just want to be preparedRolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How often will insurance replace machine?
Hi johns019,

The useful life of most CPAP machines is considered to be around 5 years. But many folks have been using their machine for longer periods. Pretty sure most insurance and Medicare programs will not replace a machine unless it's older than 5 years as well.

Hopefully others can add to this. Smile

Also, I sent you a PM (Private Message)... click here.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Medicare authorizes replacement every 5 years. See also
"Your Guide to Medicare's Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics" which does not provide this rule, but includes other info about Medicare and DME. Note that if under warranty, you should be able to use that. Also, Google "Repair and Replacement Fast Facts" for an info sheet from Resmed.

Oops, just saw that you have private insurance. Most insurers follow Medicare guidelines, but you should check with them first.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!
I started thinking if 8 hrs / night x 365 day about 2900 hrs / year - how long is it good for?
5 years sounds like a pretty good life expectancy for my machine.
Who knows what will have happened with insurance by then Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
From another standpoint: How fast can you get a replacement machine in if your current one breaks down, hit by lightning or the fan just has a seizure?

Will your current plan get you another machine going for you within 24 hrs or not?

I always keep a small emergency back up CPAP on the shelf, just in case. It's not great but it is better than no machine at all.

Cheers!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2013, 01:22 PM)Shastzi Wrote: From another standpoint: How fast can you get a replacement machine in if your current one breaks down, hit by lightning or the fan just has a seizure?

Will your current plan get you another machine going for you within 24 hrs or not?

I always keep a small emergency back up CPAP on the shelf, just in case. It's not great but it is better than no machine at all.

Cheers!

Hmm, good point. I'm going to purchase an inexpensive "back-up" right now.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the brick during stormy weather too, so I need not worry about blowing up the good machine.

Wink
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep an eye out for something on Craigslist, friends, family, etc. You might find a really good buy if you watch for a while. If you're looking for a backup, it may pay you to shop carefully.

You might even try your own ad on Cragslist or somewhere similar. There are a lot of people with CPAP machines gathering dust because they gave up on them.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just for the record, my ResMed S7 which was just replaced with an S9 Elite was 9 years old and just short of 25,000 hours. Never missed a beat. It is now on my shelf as a backup. Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Geez, never though about a back-up or when my machine can be replaced. That's for posting the question.Thanks
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 83 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,517 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 274 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 245 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  When do I REALLY need to replace items? BlueSky1958 19 1,070 12-13-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: ejbpesca

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.