Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: How often you follow-up with sleep doctor/professional?
This poll is closed.
weekly
0%
0 0%
Monthly
0%
0 0%
2 months
1.64%
1 1.64%
3 momths
8.20%
5 8.20%
6 months
21.31%
13 21.31%
9 months
0%
0 0%
1 year
22.95%
14 22.95%
Other
16.39%
10 16.39%
Never
29.51%
18 29.51%
Total 61 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How often you follow-up with sleep doctor/professional?
How often you follow-up with sleep doctor/professional?
Every six months.
Usually bring laptop with me so the doctor can check the download.
He say all good see you in another six months.
Wondering if have keep up with six monthly appointments or just see him whenever something changes in the therapy.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How often you follow-up with sleep doctor/professional?
my sleep doc says come back in 2 yrs if all is ok but call in a year to let me know you're ok and still in the system. he then says if theres ever a problem to call or make an appointment. if we call him he will call back, but never calls us on his own.

now that i have an auto machine and some sleep time with it i'm going to make an appointment and bring my laptop to see what he thinks of my numbers.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2012, 04:55 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: my sleep doc says come back in 2 yrs if all is ok but call in a year to let me know you're ok and still in the system.

Very similar. Mine said to check back in two years. It will be two years in September, and as of this writing I have met the guy exactly one time...
Post Reply Post Reply
I voted never because my sleep doctor never said anything about coming back or following up. Only time I saw him was a week or so after the sleep study... Never heard from him again after that initial 4-minute "consultation" with me, which he billed at $500 and insurance paid out their normal rate of $200, and I paid $50 if I remember correctly. A year later I got laid off and was forced to become self-employed... haven't had health insurance ever since, so I just don't go to doctors anymore unless I absolutely have to.

When you don't have health insurance, you have to make-do and teach yourself some things about these topics. Smile If you have the means, I wholeheartedly suggest you use a competent sleep doctor, but if you don't I understand from first-hand experience that you "gotta do what you gotta do". Bigwink

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2012, 07:09 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I voted never because my sleep doctor never said anything about coming back or following up.

My situation is a lot like SuperSleeper except I'm only 12 weeks into my cpap therapy. I don't know if I'll get a call to come in after 6 months or a year. My DME contacts me at least once a month to check on me either via a phone call or a letter with a new data card enclosed.

I never actually saw "my sleep doctor." My regular doctor ordered the sleep study. The technicians that did the sleep study sent my results off to a sleep doctor. His office called some service that set me up with the 2nd sleep study and then with my DME.

The technician at my 2nd sleep study read me all the info from my first sleep study since my regular doctor didn't tell me anything except that I have sleep apnea and need a 2nd sleep study to determine my cpap pressure. My DME technician was quite informative about sleep apnea and although she doesn't use a cpap machine, several people in her family do. Both the sleep center technician and the DME technician told me that I have a good sleep doctor and not to hesitate if I need to talk to him. So far I don't have a reason to.
Post Reply Post Reply
Depends. I just started using an ASV machine so will see him after a month to check its efficacy. After that once a year unless I have problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wasn't told to go back. Several years into therapy, my BP skyrocketed. After a lot of tests and stuff, the heart doc sent me to the sleep doc (same building) and the sleep doc had me use an oximeter for over night. Based on that result, my level was raised.

I am again seeing my blood pressure slowly increase and am having odd dreams that I can manipulate. So I'm thinking I need to go see the old snot (I don't like him) soon. He doesn't believe in APAPs. My current machine was from a script by my GP. I wish I had thought to have her state APAP. Dumb dumb Paula.
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I'm in the 3-6 month stage...the sooner if there's been some change, like Celexa was added to my drug schedule last visit....
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
Insurance company says annually, which I did for 15 years; but this last time was about 18 months. I'll have to see what he wants to do now that I have a machine that provides meaningful data
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I chose every 3 months because this doctor seems like he has a clue. He introduced me to the APAP. My machine has a wireless modem where the doctor or the DME can download my data when they desire and I don't have to remember to carry the silly card with me.

I agree with getting with a competent sleep doc. Makes all the difference in the world. Big Grin
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My doctor suggested patience Annecelesye 26 3,731 03-23-2024, 03:02 AM
Last Post: Annecelesye
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 209 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [split] Doctor won't help improve Vauto settings JohnCondor 7 527 02-19-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Doctor switched my wife over to an ASV machine, it has doubled her AHI MaybeTowelie 18 934 12-21-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Most Informtive Metrics To Send To Doctor BlueSky1958 3 331 12-17-2023, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.