Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: How old are you when first diagnosed?
This poll is closed.
Under 20
0.95%
1 0.95%
20 - 24
1.90%
2 1.90%
25 - 29
1.90%
2 1.90%
30 - 34
3.81%
4 3.81%
35 - 39
8.57%
9 8.57%
40 - 44
15.24%
16 15.24%
45 - 49
14.29%
15 14.29%
50 - 54
19.05%
20 19.05%
55 - 59
20.00%
21 20.00%
Over 60
14.29%
15 14.29%
Total 105 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How old are you when first diagnosed?
How old are you when first diagnosed?
How old are you when first diagnosed with sleep apnea
Did use CPAP straight away, use CPAP for a while and gave up only to come back some time later.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How old are you when first diagnosed?
first diagnosed age 40. got semi-serious and got a cpap at age 52. got real serious at age 62 this year with an apap and started using every single night. i often think i wouldn't have some of my present problems if i has got real serious at age 40.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I was diagnosed when I was 42 and was given a CPAP the next day. Oh-jeez

Been using one ever since. I have had 2 subsequent sleep studies. One at my highest weight and one after I had lost over 100 lbs. Still had sleep apnea.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was just officially diagnosed about a month ago. However I knew that I probably had apnea since the 1980s because my girlfriend in college told me that I stopped breathing a lot when I was sleeping and it scared the heck out of her.
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
Diagnosed at 54, have been 100% compliant except after some head surgery when I could not use my mask. I would have tried Provent then, but did not know about the product. Also I missed about 20 days when the skin on my nose broke down so badly from my quattro- the skin breakdown got bad and I foolishly just kept trying padding instead of letting it heal earlier. Again I would have tried Provent had I known about that alternative.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was having an annual physical...the day before my 40th birthday, complaining about the usual....and there was a new symptom...my BP was even more elevated than 'normal'. Out of the blue...doc suggests a sleep study. Odd... I think I sleep fine...its the staying awake that I'm having trouble with.

Had the sleep study on December 1st, knew I failed...because they woke me to put a mask on, and I felt good different after that part. But, didn't get a letter from my doctor of results until December 27th. I got appointment to see him on the December 29th, and started CPAP that night. Only interruption was a couple weeks in January when I got an MRSA infection of my nose bridge sore. Doc didn't want it getting into my sinuses. I've been 100% compliant otherwise.... Though I wish I had software that could combine the data from my two different machines into a single report....

It was good that I got it then....because it was the last few days where my insurance would pay 90% of the cost....

The Dreamer.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2012, 09:01 AM)TheDreamer Wrote: I was having an annual physical...the day before my 40th birthday, complaining about the usual....and there was a new symptom...my BP was even more elevated than 'normal'. Out of the blue...doc suggests a sleep study.
You've got a good doctor

Post Reply Post Reply
I was first diagnosed with severe sleep apnea 5 years ago at age 49, but I probably had it for quite a while before that. My wife forced me to go to my GP and request a sleep study. It took 4 months to get an appointment. When I finally started my sleep study I asked if I could try a CPAP device, and they promptly said that they never allow that! So they wired me up, and I passed out. Two hours later they came into the room and asked if I wanted to try the machine, as there was no doubt that I had sleep apnea with a AHI of 87. I also stopped breathing 96 times an hour and never entered into REM sleep. Apparently my blood oxygen level was so low, that I qualified for free home delivery of oxygen, and besides they didn't want anybody dying on their shift!

It still took two more months before I got my RemStar Auto, but once I got it I have been 100 per cent compliant!
Post Reply Post Reply
Define "diagnosed." :-) I had it confirmed in a sleep lab when I was 49. I *knew* I had it about 4 or 5 years earlier... it had never been confirmed by a physician, but I didn't need them to tell me I had it, it was sort of obvious to anyone that knew what sleep apnea was.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2012, 07:02 PM)CHanlon Wrote: Define "diagnosed." :-) I had it confirmed in a sleep lab when I was 49. I *knew* I had it about 4 or 5 years earlier... it had never been confirmed by a physician, but I didn't need them to tell me I had it, it was sort of obvious to anyone that knew what sleep apnea was.

you were diagnosed by a doctor at age 49. you thought you knew about it yourself at an earlier age but it wasn't diagnosed by a doctor til age 49. the purpose of the sleep study is to provide a tool to make a medical diagnosis. as it turns out you were right at an earlier age, but you could have also been wrong.

we can debate the meaning of the word diagnose, but i'm sure zonk meant diagnosed properly by a doctor.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 21 317 2 hours ago
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 53 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 381 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 290 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 478 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,805 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 408 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.