Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: How old are you when first diagnosed?
This poll is closed.
Under 20
0.95%
1 0.95%
20 - 24
1.90%
2 1.90%
25 - 29
1.90%
2 1.90%
30 - 34
3.81%
4 3.81%
35 - 39
8.57%
9 8.57%
40 - 44
15.24%
16 15.24%
45 - 49
14.29%
15 14.29%
50 - 54
19.05%
20 19.05%
55 - 59
20.00%
21 20.00%
Over 60
14.29%
15 14.29%
Total 105 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How old are you when first diagnosed?
RE: How old are you when first diagnosed?
Just diagnosed in March 2012...60 years old. Last night I went for the titration...it will be set at 7. Currently waiting to hear from the company that will supply the cpap machine. My family Dr was not interested in testing, but after having many Tia's and being referred to the TIA Clinic...they arranged for testing. I feel that I have had sleep apnea for well over a dozen years. My first night at sleep study, I hardly slept at all...last night with the CPAP...though they let me stay in bed five and a half hours...I feel like I slept all night...other then 10 or 12 quick wake ups, then right back to sleep. Yeah....can't wait to get my machine...and deal with lots of issues that will arise, I am sure...lol.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kitley and welcome
Good luck on your CPAP journey
Good fitting mask is the most important to effective therapy
Its uncommon to try several types of masks but then you might like to start with the mask used at the titration.
You want at least a machine that is easy to use and shows some data (breakdown of AHI, leak..) on LCD screen for example:
S9 Elite or S9 AutoSet (Not S9 Escape or S9 Escape Auto...both basic machine not data capable)

Post Reply Post Reply
I was lucky. I got diagnosed when I was 29 years old. If there was a call for it (or a field even) about 15 years prior to that I would have been better off in the long run. I have had apnea since my early teens but there was no mainstream sleep medicine field back in the early 80s.

CPAP completely changed my outlook on life. I had 60 events in a 90 min period. I never got into REM or even Stage 3. I never knew what it was like to actually have a GOOD sleep until they put me on CPAP that night.

I woke up when my name was called. Completely energized. It was like someone took a fog off of my brain and everything was clear and tangible.

12 years later I am still singing the praises of the PAP. It was a commitment, but the best commitment that I ever made. I wish everyone was caught as early as I was. It has no doubt added years to my life.

Robb Webb, RPSGT
Sleep Tech, CPAP Veteran
Post Reply Post Reply
I have always snored. Then it just kept getting worse when I hit 30s and became more sedentary due to other circumstances. One day there was a report on sleep apnea on the radio and they played a person snoring who had it. We made doc appt that day. Saw the sleep doc a few weeks later. Got machine about, oh, two months after we started.
Post Reply Post Reply
I knew something was wrong when I had a stress free summer, started working out and needed 4 hour naps on a regular basis. I've snored most of my life but since I don't hear it, I don't know how bad it was. I went to my GP in August of 2011. Four months later I brought home a cpap and have used it ever since. I didn't know I could enjoy sleeping again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2012, 01:46 PM)kitley Wrote: I feel that I have had sleep apnea for well over a dozen years. My first night at sleep study, I hardly slept at all...last night with the CPAP...though they let me stay in bed five and a half hours...I feel like I slept all night...other then 10 or 12 quick wake ups, then right back to sleep. Yeah....can't wait to get my machine...and deal with lots of issues that will arise, I am sure...lol.

Welcome to the hosehead club. :-) The big hurdle to get over is getting equipment that you feel comfortable with. Once you have the right machine, and the right mask, everything else falls into place. If you managed close to 5 hours sleep during the titration - one of the 2 most uncomfortable nights anyone can have - you're sounding like you'll tolerate the mask pretty well.

I'm in much the same boat, I've probably had SA for most of my life, as I've been a heavy snorer as long as I can remember. In the last...8 years or so it started to become evident that there was something going on at night. My wife started to mention that I'd kick or jerk in my sleep, then that I'd stop breathing once in a while...then I started having to get up 3 or 4 times a night to use the bathroom... I knew what it was, and, since I've been gaining weight over the same period, I figured I knew why. But I hate doctors so it took me a few years to decide I was bad enough to do something. My GP has SA too, he agreed with me...and he also found that I'm somewhat hypothyroid. Both of which can cause weight gain... which makes the SA worse... etc. Since starting on my APAP I've lost 35 pounds, and my 95% pressure has started to average lower. More to the point, I've not nodded off without planning to (and almost never plan to) since the first night with the machine... and I've felt great since the first morning.

(03-29-2012, 06:13 PM)RWRPSGT Wrote: CPAP completely changed my outlook on life. I had 60 events in a 90 min period. I never got into REM or even Stage 3. I never knew what it was like to actually have a GOOD sleep until they put me on CPAP that night.

I woke up when my name was called. Completely energized. It was like someone took a fog off of my brain and everything was clear and tangible.

68 apneas an hour... I forget what the O2 drop number was, but the graph they showed me had a big enough drop on it to make me go 'OMG!'

My sleep tech called my dr, the next day and got him to get me a loaner machine that day. I woke up able to do thing like...well...concentrate.

(03-29-2012, 06:44 PM)iSnooze Wrote: I didn't know I could enjoy sleeping again.

Amen to that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am 47 and have had all of the symptoms for about 25 years. My wife told my doctor about my snoring and stopping breathing last October (2011). I saw the Doc in November has my first sleep study in the middle of December. I was called to come in for an appointment "any time I could could show up". Was booked for a titration in Jan but was on the emergency list and went in 6 days later (over Christmas) I had a machine 14 days later because of work and a paperwork mixup, and have used it since.

I was told that I was getting about 3 hours of real sleep per week, had 70 sleep disturbances an hour with a maximum 67 second breathing stoppage and an O2 level that they were surprised that I was able to wake up from.

The biggest difference initially was I was no longer living in a fog, and now that I have had the pressure increased another 2 psi I am starting to get a solid nights sleep.

Would it be possible to have another tag line in the details <-- with a "HoseHead since:_____"
Post Reply Post Reply
Diagnosed at 47 with AHI = 26/hr at sleep study, next morning tech came in and gave me CPAP. As I look back, I feel I've been tired since my 20s, and I believe I chalked it up to (can you believe it) having a slow metabolism. I've always had many interests, but as the years rolled on, it seemed harder and harder to pursue them due to limited energy--I chalked it up to getting older (I was so wrong). This bible verse always comes to mind when I think about the effects sleep apnea have had on me: "the years the locusts have eaten."
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, the kicking was another clue. When I was jerking and kicking so bad I kicked my 85lb Rottweiler over the footboard....the symptoms were on our minds but we had no clue how to put it together. Then hearing the snore on the radio with the starts and stops? Bingo.

My father was notorious for stopping breathing at night but they didn't have a name for it way back then. At least not in Nowhereville farm area of TN. Over the past 20yrs or so, he's had UPPP, CPAP, oxygen, etc.

Mom said the two of us would about rock our trailer off it's bricks! LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2012, 02:21 PM)zonk Wrote: Hi kitley and welcome
Good luck on your CPAP journey
Good fitting mask is the most important to effective therapy
Its uncommon to try several types of masks but then you might like to start with the mask used at the titration.
You want at least a machine that is easy to use and shows some data (breakdown of AHI, leak..) on LCD screen for example:
S9 Elite or S9 AutoSet (Not S9 Escape or S9 Escape Auto...both basic machine not data capable)

Zonk....tanks so much for the info...I really am clueless at this point.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 22 371 1 hour ago
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 59 Yesterday, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 386 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 479 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,805 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 409 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.