Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: How old are you when first diagnosed?
This poll is closed.
Under 20
0.95%
1 0.95%
20 - 24
1.90%
2 1.90%
25 - 29
1.90%
2 1.90%
30 - 34
3.81%
4 3.81%
35 - 39
8.57%
9 8.57%
40 - 44
15.24%
16 15.24%
45 - 49
14.29%
15 14.29%
50 - 54
19.05%
20 19.05%
55 - 59
20.00%
21 20.00%
Over 60
14.29%
15 14.29%
Total 105 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How old are you when first diagnosed?
RE: How old are you when first diagnosed?
LOL Welcome to the hosehead club where it is normal to rant about the medical profession as a species.

Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, good to know that they are catching it younger now.

I likely had some degree of sleep apnea since I was a child....but I didn't have my first sleep study until I was 40.

I've had sunken chest for as long as I can remember....(which can be associated with sleep apnea in children)....but its starting to go away since I've been on CPAP.... my heart murmur seems to have disappeared too.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-09-2012, 12:46 AM)zonk Wrote:
(04-08-2012, 10:39 PM)sleepinginschool Wrote: Diagnosed with severe obstructive when I was 16, now 17. Proooobably won't have a machine until sometime near the end of summer (if I do need one) as I am having surgery but there's only a 40% chance of reduction in severity apparently...
Hi sleepinginschool
The good thing you have been diagnosed at your age as most of us took years before been diagnosed.
Unfortunately surgery is not reversible and as you have found out there is no guarantee that you wont be needing CPAP after the surgery.
I think you've to approach CPAP therapy with an open mind do understand your concern being very young and might turn off family and friends it,s normal to feel that way but really there is nothing to worry or embarrassed about.
By using CPAP, you,re taking control of your health and making a positive choice for your future and wellbeing....Good luck
Welcome

Thanks yyou! I'm not too concerned with it though I mean I haven't even been told that I need one and even then I don't know if I would get one still
Any thoughts on this? So I had the surgery, went well blah blah but the ENT says it takes two months for sleep patterns to change
How and why would it take two months for my throat to stop continuing being blocked after the tissue that caused the obstruction was removed?
Post Reply Post Reply
It probably takes that long to heal completely.

And not all the tissue causing the blockage can be removed. In most cases of OSA, it is the throat muscles themselves that are causing the blockage. These muscles are voluntary (meaning we think about using them, like raising our hand to scratch our nose). When we fall asleep, they relax. When they get close together, or very loose, they vibrate making the snore. With OSA, they actually collapse and block the airway. Our body says "Wake the heck up!" because when we are awake, we automatically tighten those muscles.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've always snored since I was a teenager. In my 30's it was so bad my family begged me to get a sleep study to see if I had sleep apnea. I did have the sleep study and was told I didn't have sleep apnea. I was so tired all the time though that I wasn't able to be as active and ended up gaining about 75 pounds. I was sent for another sleep study by my doctor at age 43. This time I was diagnosed with severe OSA. Been using the brick CPAP machine ever since until I found this website about a month or so ago and upgraded to an S9 AutoSet. Having fun looking at the data the machine provides. Just got the oximeter too. My CPAP was set on 10. I've changed the setting on the AutoSet to a range of 9-12. My numbers are really good (AHI <1 and O2 minimum is 94%).

My doctor has been wanting me to have another sleep study since my last one was about 5 yrs ago. I'm going to print the report and take it to her office next time I have an appt to see what she says. I hope she'll be pleased so I won't have to have another sleep study!
Post Reply Post Reply
Diagnosed 4 years ago. I go through periods where I'm compliant and will use CPAP. And then I go through stages where I am annoyed with the whole mess, the machine, the tubing, the mask, and put the entire contraption away in a drawer. Don't think I'll ever get to the point where I'll enjoy it. I start using it again after awhile when it dawns on me that I am tired more than I should be in the afternoon, and then once in a while I'll come across something in print that mentions the increased risk of cardiovascular disease, stroke, etc from sleep apnea. I don't know if my experience is the norm or the exception, but I do seem to run into more people who gave up on CPAP than who continue to use it. It is never convenient or fun, but worthwhile just for the increased energy during the day. I write this mostly as an incentive to those that give up. Don't. Although it is tempting to put the contraption away and give up, you will notice the difference in a few days when the lack of quality sleep starts hitting you. One piece of advice is continue trying new masks, try all different types, until you find one that you are comfortable with. There are dozens of different masks because everyone is different. But finding a mask that you are comfortable with definately makes a huge difference. When I started this and was a rookie, insurance covered the first mask. It was horrible and left big red marks on my face. I never considered changing the mask, because I just didn't know there were so many different kinds. I've probably tried most of them. Go online and buy a second, or third mask, even if you have to pay out of pocket. It is worth it in the long run to find a mask that you feel comfortable with. I can't stress that enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
Went in for my annual physical last year shortly after turning 55 and told the doctor that my girlfriend complained about my snoring and said I would stop breathing and gasp for air at times. Also told him I would get very tired during the day if I didn't keep active. He said definite signs of sleep apnea and said he had been a CPAP user for 8 years. Ordered a sleep study and study confirmed moderate sleep apnea. Nervous Began therapy on 9/30/11 and have used my machine every night since. AND, thanks to successful CPAP therapy which has totally eliminated my snoring.....that girlfriend became my fiancee in December 2011 with our wedding planned for August 2012. Way-to-happy
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2012, 09:33 PM)GregCavalier Wrote: Diagnosed 4 years ago. I go through periods where I'm compliant and will use CPAP. And then I go through stages where I am annoyed with the whole mess, the machine, the tubing, the mask, and put the entire contraption away in a drawer. Don't think I'll ever get to the point where I'll enjoy it. I start using it again after awhile when it dawns on me that I am tired more than I should be in the afternoon, and then once in a while I'll come across something in print that mentions the increased risk of cardiovascular disease, stroke, etc from sleep apnea. I don't know if my experience is the norm or the exception, but I do seem to run into more people who gave up on CPAP than who continue to use it. It is never convenient or fun, but worthwhile just for the increased energy during the day. I write this mostly as an incentive to those that give up. Don't. Although it is tempting to put the contraption away and give up, you will notice the difference in a few days when the lack of quality sleep starts hitting you. One piece of advice is continue trying new masks, try all different types, until you find one that you are comfortable with. There are dozens of different masks because everyone is different. But finding a mask that you are comfortable with definately makes a huge difference. When I started this and was a rookie, insurance covered the first mask. It was horrible and left big red marks on my face. I never considered changing the mask, because I just didn't know there were so many different kinds. I've probably tried most of them. Go online and buy a second, or third mask, even if you have to pay out of pocket. It is worth it in the long run to find a mask that you feel comfortable with. I can't stress that enough.

i was like you sometimes on, mostly off. along the way i grabbed adult onset asthma that has become asthma and copd. not saying it's related, but not saying it isn't. to make the long story short a trip to the ER out of breath convinced me of the importance of this stuff. its not about feeling good or bad. not at all. that's just an indicator of the effectiveness of treatment. its about stopping breathing with the associated o2 desaturation and internal organ damage over time which has terrible health consequences.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2012, 09:50 PM)b360155 Wrote: Began therapy on 9/30/11 and have used my machine every night since. AND, thanks to successful CPAP therapy which has totally eliminated my snoring.....that girlfriend became my fiancee in December 2011 with our wedding planned for August 2012. Way-to-happy
Congrats on your successful therapy, happy engagement and planned wedding

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-27-2012, 10:26 PM)zonk Wrote:
(04-27-2012, 09:50 PM)b360155 Wrote: Began therapy on 9/30/11 and have used my machine every night since. AND, thanks to successful CPAP therapy which has totally eliminated my snoring.....that girlfriend became my fiancee in December 2011 with our wedding planned for August 2012. Way-to-happy
Congrats on your successful therapy, happy engagement and planned wedding

Thanks
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Questions for newly diagnosed Schernenk 25 690 04-09-2024, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Schernenk
  Just Diagnosed - Advice Required on What to Purchase Dazkd1969 0 103 03-27-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Dazkd1969
  Diagnosed with SA 70AHI Newbie2024 16 488 03-19-2024, 09:12 AM
Last Post: Newbie2024
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 330 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  newly diagnosed, need some help reading OSCAR report mushroom 5 510 12-13-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Hi I'm new here - just diagnosed waterboyOz 32 1,843 12-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First-time CPAP Machine Advice (Newly Diagnosed OSA) Franko39 2 428 11-15-2023, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Franko39

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.