Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How serious is this?
RE: How serious is this?
Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!! Welcome

Yes, an AHI of 107 is very serious!!!
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I've stated several times, on this board, my initial AHI was 47. The sleep doc put it very succinctly: If you don't start using a CPAP, one morning you'll wake up dead! That was all the incentive it took; I've slept every night since my initial titration in 1995 using the machine.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ouch! KMWA, I sure hope they get you some assistance / therapy soon and that you take to it well...those are serious numbers with some strong potential for very, very serious health impacts.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Robysue, the top half of my post, the part with the math, was in regards to the OP of this thread.

The link I put in was not related to the math. I just didn't want to give the same lecture again so I just gave the link.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for the advice and information. This has all happened to me in the last month or so, and had it not been for people that i work with that use the cpap machine, I probably would not have gone. This has now become a workmans comp issue, and I am supposed to be going within the next week to get another sleep study done with the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Once you have the second study called a titration to determine the settings you need for machine to provide effective therapy, push who ever you need to, to get your machine ASAP.
If you need a regular XPAP insist on either a Resmed S9 Autoset (my preference) or a Philips DS560, both with humidifier and heated hose.
If you need a more advanced machine, Bipap or ASV, stick with the same two brands S9 or DS760 or DS960.
My first sleep study AHI was only 84. With ASV APAP I am below AHI 3.0 most nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2013, 12:23 AM)Keepingmywifeawake Wrote: I have known I snore at night for years, however my wife had convinced me to get a sleep study done because I stop breathing in my sleep. I got the results, showed them to my doctor, and he pretty much said he was surprised that I am still alive. I have an AHI of 107. Is he over reacting or is it really that bad?

To slightly simplify:

You are dying. Maybe slowly, but you're dying.
Even if you don't die, every night does a little damage to your brain, your heart, and your other organs.
You're at a high risk of a stroke or heart attack or other problems in the long term.
It's probably harming the quality of your life in general

There's some "wiggle room" in what the AHI numbers mean, but 107 is so high, that you're way out of the gray area.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
My next question is, how low did your O2 go during the study? I too was in the high 80s (forget the exact number now), but my O2 was in the low 60s as well - smurf-zone...
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
i have never heard all these ahi and others im calling around to all the places to see if i can find mine

i just now my state my city there is a scale the use to rate how good and deep we sleep

i was a 3 i dont really sleep just sore eyes tired are gone never refreshed never less pain often more pain

energy in the toilet and if not on provigil i will keep falling asleep only awake 30min or less then back asleep

with provigal i have some not allot bot noticeable more energy

they were worried my moms side fam history

before grandpa died 3 heart attacks strokes just a couple years ago my aunt died at work but they had those jump start things and a certified nurse

she died 3 times at work 1 in ambulance before they got her stable then a year after my uncle just me and mom left

they overworked and pushed way to hard they told me with no cpap that would happen and not if but when it happened if i wasn't on it

unlike other where its a list mine was a positively will happen

thats why over a year ago when my machine starting dying a 3rd time and the original provider wanted cash this time and Medicare refused to force them
turned into big long fight the i lost the humidifier

short story a very great person gave me brand new in the box FP sleepstyle 600 yea im bilevel and its cpap but blessed with no adjustment problems easy switch just mask was pain had to be tight for constant pressure

the scary part 10 percent or so difference that means my old one was going to kill me it was dropping pressure shutting off etc i just didnt realize how bad it was till a new cpap showed improvement holy crap thats scary to think about

i never sleep without tired starting to fall asleep instant on even if just short nap thats one part of my health i dont screw with
"You're only lonely if you're not there for you."
-- Phil McGraw
Well, I looked my demons in the eyes, laid bare my chest, said "Do your best, destroy me. You see, I've been to hell and back so many times, I must admit you kind of bore me."
- Ray LaMontagne
One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.