Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Blocked nose
Blocked nose
I have been using my machine for 6months and up until 2weeks ago have been happy with my readings-Anywhere between 8-11 hours and readings of 1.2 to 2.0
For the AHIs.
However the last 2 weeks I have been unable to keep the mask on for more than 5 hours because of a blocked nose . Whether this is because of Spring and an allergic reaction I don't know .Has anyone had the same problem please?
Nasal drops do not work.
Lorraine
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Blocked nose
Hi Lojos,

This is a very common condition, and you'll find a lot of prior threads.

October is allergy month here in Perth, so it may well be where you are. There are three basic types of nasal drops: 1) Supermarket brands such as Nyal (pretty useless), 2) Pharmacy lines such as Chemists Own. These are very effective but you can only use them for a few days at a time, otherwise there is a "rebound" effect that can actually make the congestion worse, 3) steroid based. The steroids are very effective against some conditions and don't have any rebound effect, but you must have a prescription. The thing with the steroids is they don't work instantly, you need to take them for a few days before you see much of an effect. It's also debatable whether you should really be squirting steroids up your nose.

Other things to try include a saline rinse (just a bit of salt dissolved in water), inhaling eucalyptus oil (not too much as it can be toxic in large doses).

A totally different line of investigation is to see if your mask is pinching your nose below the bridge. I have one particular mask which does this, and that causes bad congestion.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lorraine .. My allergies will kick up this time of year (fall) here in the southern part of the USA and usually bother me the most during waking periods. Don't really have much trouble sleeping.. That said. I do use a antihistamine spray twice a day. I also frequently will use a "neti-pot" to rinse ( I use the squeeze bottle style) the sinuses out. In southern USA at this time of year one of the worst culprits is ragweed. Try the nasal rinse before bed. I'll bet it helps.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for your suggestions .When I last used the nasal rinse -saline solution , I had extreme pain in my right nostril so have been reluctant to use it again. I pull the mask down as I think it may be covering my nostrils not allowing the air to enter.Is it critical that I only use the mask for 4-5 hours per night .Before treatment my AHIs were 31.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nasal pillows will apply pressure directly to the nares. I have never had problems breathing with a nasal pillow mask, and I probably mouth-breath most of the day in allergy season. It's amazing how direct pressure to the nose will open those nasal passages, and I think a nasal mask actually puts external pressure on those sinuses and makes you more stuffy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
add xylitol to the saline spray - not much, 1 tbsp to a whole cup. the xylitol makes the saline spray less harsh to the mucous membranes, and does a wonderful job of cleaning them also. mine keeps me free of symptoms the vast majority of the time and i had a *lot* of issue with it before starting that. Be sure to keep the xylitol away from any dogs, it is very toxic to them. It is a naturally occurring ingredient in fruits, such as grapes which are also toxic to dogs, but not to you.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
I also use a xylitol nasal spray (thanks to DariaV).

I don't make my own though, but use one called Xlear from Amazon.

When I first started a couple years ago, I really suffered from congestion, but this stuff works better than anything the doctor prescribed.

Also use the kids version of Xlear on granddaughter. If she gets a cold, this seems to help her though it.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-06-2016, 10:25 PM)DariaVader Wrote: add xylitol to the saline spray - not much, 1 tbsp to a whole cup. the xylitol makes the saline spray less harsh to the mucous membranes, and does a wonderful job of cleaning them also. mine keeps me free of symptoms the vast majority of the time and i had a *lot* of issue with it before starting that. Be sure to keep the xylitol away from any dogs, it is very toxic to them. It is a naturally occurring ingredient in fruits, such as grapes which are also toxic to dogs, but not to you.

(10-07-2016, 08:40 AM)OpalRose Wrote: I also use a xylitol nasal spray (thanks to DariaV).

I don't make my own though, but use one called Xlear from Amazon.

When I first started a couple years ago, I really suffered from congestion, but this stuff works better than anything the doctor prescribed.

Also use the kids version of Xlear on granddaughter. If she gets a cold, this seems to help her though it.

Thanks, I've been looking for something to use instead of a steroid sprays.

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,804 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,964 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 645 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.